Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a 4+ inch lift, without the needed performance. I dont plan on doing any offroading and my truck is just a daily driver with 50% highway miles.

I notice that most lift kits are 2 inch front, 1.5 back, give or take .5 inches.

But I want more of a lift, without paying 2k for coilover shocks, etc.

I found a body lift at 4x4 parts - https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/frontier-inch-body-lift-p-4218.html

Is it possible to combine a 3inch body lift with a PRG 2 inch front spacer and 2 inch deaver leaf spring pack in rear.

OR...

Would it be better to combine a 2 inch deaver leaf kit with shackles to get about 4 inches in the rear, and then a 1.5 inch heavy lift coil with a 2 inch spacer.

Im fairly knew to this so I apologize if this makes no sense, Im simply looking for the highest lift that provides nothing but good looks.
I am aware however that shackles can flatten leafs and that spacers 2 inches and larger can hit the coil bucket, but seeing as I dont offroad, I dont think its an issue?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my post seems kinda long and detail, so here are the basic questions.

Would a 2 inch leveling kit work with a 1.5 inch front coil? End result be 3.5 inch front lift.

PRG 2 inch - $149

4x4 parts heavy duty coil - $145

If I could obtain 3.5+ inches in the front, then I am thinking I would need to do this for the rear.

PRG Deaver 2" Frontier 2-Leaf Spring Pack. - $149
and
PRG Variable Height Frontier Shackles - $119

Total price for 3.5 inch front and rear lift = $562

The only other alternative I am aware of is the 3 inch body lift and 2 inch leveling kit, which should give me 5 inch lift in front, and 3 inch in rear.

Body lift + 2 inch PRG leveling kit

Total price for 5 inch front and 3 inch rear = 332 + 149 = 481

These prices dont include shipping and are just prices from 4x4parts and prgproducts, thanks for any input!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
There is a lift thread sticky you should check out.

The quick is this, the most you can go in front is 3" but CB contact will happen pretty often. If you want more and you are 2wd, then CST spindles will work. If you are 4wd, then you are forced to do the BodyLift (BL).

The rear is limited to your shocks. If you keep oem, then 2". Once you upgrade shocks, then you are good until you reach the limit on your DriveShaff (DS).

Blocks will increase axle wrap (delay off the line and extra strain on your DS U-joints which all helps flatten your leafs)
Shackles will increase your flex but allow the leafs to flatten yet again.
AAL will give you lift, support and won't flatten your leafs but can cause flex issues.

Honestly, since it is your DD and you are going for looks, then just stick with the 2.5" prg in front and an AAL in the rear. If you are unhappy, then pick up a set of CST spindles used and add a shackle to the rear. After that COs are probably needed and some kind of custom leaf pack in the rear.

P.S. BodyLifts have the negative side of leaving a gap between the body and the frame so they are somewhat un-sightly for a dd that never gets wheeled.

If you wheel, then BLs are fine, just don't jump with them on, lol.

·
Premium Member
12,318 Posts
i would lower if i was you.
your driving mostly highway miles with no chance of off roading.

if you want a mall crawler without the money, then bl with coil spacers.
the ride wont be comfortable, and you will get bucket contact, you will be top heavy and not be able to corner as well as before.

but ****, you will look damn good.........?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So a 2 in spacer and a 1.5 in coil on front willl be the same. Result as a 3 in spacerr with lots of bucket contact?

Shouldn't highway miles mean less bucket contact?

i would lower if i was you.
your driving mostly highway miles with no chance of off roading.

if you want a mall crawler without the money, then bl with coil spacers.
the right wont be comfortable, and you will get bucket contact, you will be top heavy and not be able to corner as well as before.

but ****, you will look damn good.........?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
So a 2 in spacer and a 1.5 in coil on front willl be the same. Result as a 3 in spacerr with lots of bucket contact?

Shouldn't highway miles mean less bucket contact?
It doesn't matter how you lift the front unless you use spindles, you will get CB contact unless you use aftermarket UCAs.

AC coils are known to be pretty stiff so that will hurt your ride quality.

HWY miles doesn't mean anything. Yes, you may not get as much while on the road but it is usually the curb at the end of your driveway that annoys most people. Then if you get into a dip/rise section on the why, your truck may start to bounce and etc.....

In the end, there is no point to using spacers/coils to push your front lift to the point where CB contact is an everyday thing. In the worst case situation, you will bend your UCA and your CB with the possibility of tweaking the CB to the point where your ins totals your truck. The best case is that you just scratch the paint but still, its not worth it.

If you want to lift the truck then do it right. For your case, aftermarket ucas (prg, TC, etc...) with a set of COs (SAW, Icon, King, etc...) then AALs in the rear. If the rear is still not enough, then do the Alcan or PRG spring packs and some nice shocks and you are good to go. Yes, it is a bit expensive but its defiently worth it since it is your DD and you put a bit of miles on it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Im looking for a 4+ inch lift, without the needed performance. I dont plan on doing any offroading and my truck is just a daily driver with 50% highway miles...
^Are you ready for 15mpg? Lowering would make a better DD.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is what I thought made sense to me, but someone else is saying you cant do more than 3 inches in the front. I am unsure of how body lifts work, and what parts are used to raise the body, but I dont really understand why its in issue to go with your setup zoomzoom. Everyone has been talkin about this horrible bucket contact, but if I go just 2 inches, im hearing it will be a lot less than 3 inches, but how will the body lift work with the 2 inch spacer?

cheapest route for your needs.
2"-3" front spacer with rear shackles from ADF/ebay (recommend 2" to minimize bucket contact)
Nissan Frontier Xterra Complete Lift Kit 2" - 3" : eBay Motors (item 230462438047 end time Apr-25-10 00:31:43 PDT)
+
3" body lift
= 5-6" lift overall

given your setup, you can't use both spacers and coils in the front together

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
the body lift has nothing to do with the spacer he was saying that you can only get 3" of suspension lift max without spindles or a dropbracket lift

then put whatever bodylift you want 2-3" i will tell you there is a boatload more work to install a 3" body lift over a 2" im running suspension lift and body lift and it works just fine

i have some used radflo coilovers in the for sale section if you wanna do it the right way:)for the front

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for clearing that up nismo5!

That post made me think that you couldnt combine the body lift with a 2 inch spacer, even though the body lift's description said you could.

the body lift has nothing to do with the spacer he was saying that you can only get 3" of suspension lift max without spindles or a dropbracket lift

then put whatever bodylift you want 2-3" i will tell you there is a boatload more work to install a 3" body lift over a 2" im running suspension lift and body lift and it works just fine

i have some used radflo coilovers in the for sale section if you wanna do it the right way:)for the front

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
ONE more thing to note.....

I was just like you about a year ago. Wanted the look and wont use the truck as a baja racer.

I DID do a 3 ich spacer up front. Coil bucket contact was too much to deal with.
I removed the UCA and ground down the area that made contact. (about 5mm deap and about 50mm long) And ALL coil bucket contact was GONE! And every day to work I mob a set of rail road tracks at 50 mph and get about 6 inches of air. Never had a streanth issue from grinding my UCA's.

FYI after doing that about a year ago.... I'm about to Titan swap my truck. I only need one more part and i'm there. Is what i'm saying.... its like crack. Take one hit.... your hooked!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
what i'm saying.... its like crack. Take one hit.... your hooked!
sure seems like you know alot about crack jordo:nana::laugh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ONE more thing to note.....

I was just like you about a year ago. Wanted the look and wont use the truck as a baja racer.

I DID do a 3 ich spacer up front. Coil bucket contact was too much to deal with.
I removed the UCA and ground down the area that made contact. (about 5mm deap and about 50mm long) And ALL coil bucket contact was GONE! And every day to work I mob a set of rail road tracks at 50 mph and get about 6 inches of air. Never had a streanth issue from grinding my UCA's.

FYI after doing that about a year ago.... I'm about to Titan swap my truck. I only need one more part and i'm there. Is what i'm saying.... its like crack. Take one hit.... your hooked!

So you were happy with 3 inches, now you want more. Im unsure of what the titan swap does for you...Is it more lift, or just better parts?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
So you were happy with 3 inches, now you want more. Im unsure of what the titan swap does for you...Is it more lift, or just better parts?
The Titan swap gives you 3 inch wider stance. (1.5 on each side) And 1 more inch of lift due to the control arms being longer.

Parts are the same quality as what we already have. And I was happy with the 3 inch lift but I also just spent $850 on some new Kumho MT's that are uber sic! But my truck would be tall and skinny with the current set up I have.

So with a Tiatn swap, 3 inch suspension lift in front, 2 inch block in rear (to make truck level) it is a best case senario for me.

Big, beefy, with killa looks (2nd gen body style) but not over kill.

IMO

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'll have to agree with Jordo...
I started out just wanting to level my truck. :(
The Titan swap gives you 3 inch wider stance. (1.5 on each side) And 1 more inch of lift due to the control arms being longer...
^IIRC it's 3" each side.

btw. OP are you 4x4?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'll have to agree with Jordo...
I started out just wanting to level my truck. :(

^IIRC it's 3" each side.
aaaah, yes. You are correct. I guess I mean, It will stick out from the fenders, 1.5 inches. It takes 1.5 inches to get to the fender. Then it will stick out 1.5 past that....

Correct

·
Registered
431 Posts
i am surrounded by rough nasty dirt roads and run a rough country 2.5 levelin kit and almost never hav contact atleast not enough to notice and thats hittin rr tracks @ 50mph+ and bombin those dirt roads

and ditto on the wantin more all i wanted was level now im thinkin calmini/prg hybrid and 35s lol

p.s. the rc spacers wer only $100 and took like an 1hr 15min 1.5hr max 2 install

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you guys are right about the "crack"

I just got off the phone with USAA and I am taking out 6k of equity on the truck since I only owe 12k and its worth 20 according to them. So I guess I will go with the 4 inch CST spindles and a 1-2 inch spacer, and then do a AAL and shackle in the back for a total of 6 inches in front, 4 in rear. Gonna cost me a lot more but I guess I might as well do it right!

Anyone have ideas of where to order the CST spindles from.

PRG = 789
performance lifts - 699 on sale (free shipping)

Not sure of anybody else that carries these.

·
Re-Moderator
13,524 Posts
I think you guys are right about the "crack"

I just got off the phone with USAA and I am taking out 6k of equity on the truck since I only owe 12k and its worth 20 according to them. So I guess I will go with the 4 inch CST spindles and a 1-2 inch spacer, and then do a AAL and shackle in the back for a total of 6 inches in front, 4 in rear. Gonna cost me a lot more but I guess I might as well do it right!

Anyone have ideas of where to order the CST spindles from.

PRG = 789
performance lifts - 699 on sale (free shipping)

Not sure of anybody else that carries these.
Don't forget you'll need longer shocks and brake lines for 4 inches in the rear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts