Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
So I've been looking hard all over for information and on suspension lifts. I have been looking at a fabtech 6" suspension lift. However, I can't seem to find what other upgrades and parts I will need to have it operate smoothly on my truck without breaking or messing up anything.

So far all I've been able to find is information about 3" lifts and Titan swap lifts. I need more ground clearance. My price range is rather wide for the lift and parts required for the lift. Roughly $2500. I was to get it sooner than later and get the ball rolling already. I'm just stuck in the limbo stage of searching for information and choosing what I want.

I have a 09 4x4 SE. I've looked at the suspension lift sticky and other lift stickys but still unable to find anything. I see a lot about PRG lifts, but I need something that can take a beating, since I wheel in sand and mud frequently.

So my question, what other components do I need for a 6" lift? Coil overs in the front? AAL's or Bilsteins in the rear? Cam bolts???? Some guidance would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know a few people that have the CalMini DB lift kit (if you don't mind blue) and wheel the hell out of their trucks. They have a kit that will get you to 6". The hard off road guys of course used coilovers on the front with Titan Lifts. I am not sure on your truck but mine did need camber bolts. I have a 2wd so my set up is different but I would suggest trying Calmini.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Nomad 13 has used both Calmini and Fabtech spindle lifts.
I read that the Fabtech takes modifying the frame and does not go back to stock height easily.
If you are after a better performing suspension there are better ways to accomplish this. Although it will be more expensive than the budget you allowed.
If you just need more ground clearance( but your differential will remain the same height) it will work.
Not of fan of spindle lifts myself.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
You said you read the stickied threads, so you probably already came across this one...but just in case: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/db-lifts-good-bad-ugly-101993/

@Nomad 13 is a great resource on DB kits and how to make them work for off roading. He is an avid off roader and does some rather technical trails with his truck. His suspension setup works well for what he does. His build thread might be worth a read so that you can see what he has done: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/nomad-s-next-generation-113473/

He hasn't been very active on the forum as of late, but if you think up any questions when you are reading the above two threads, you could possibly call him out of hiding by posting in one of them.

As whistler stated though, your budget is low for both wanting a DB kit and a suspension that works well off road. There are a lot of factors to consider for an off road rig besides raw ground clearance (suspension travel, traction from tires and lockers, driver skill). I don't have a DB kit and my truck only has around 3.5-4" lift but it's been through the Rubicon among other things. Do you actually need that much lift for sand and mud?

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Fabtech DB kit is crap. I wouldn't even recommend it for mall crawling, much less actual wheeling (read the DB link in my sig for details). Calmini kit is light years better with regards to steering geometry and R&D in general but their cust service is horrid so pick your poison I guess.
If you just wheel sand and mud you're certainly not shackled to strictly DB lift kits. I wheeled sand for decades without a 6" lift. In fact, I prefer a lower truck for sand as the higher center of gravity gets sketchy in a hurry when side-hilling dunes if you run out of go pedal or start losing traction and the rear of the truck starts sliding downhill.
I'd recommend aftermarket UCAs and COs personally. You can get a very nice 3" lift kit with good COs that will perform very well off road in just about any terrain, will allow you to run 33" tires and will fit within your budget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts