Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 4 door desert runner, non 4wd. I put 3 inch lift blocks on the rear and 2 inch lift spacers on the front. I recently got new tires and I went with 285s instead of 265s so it rubbed a little. I trimmed the wind dam in front and removed the mud flaps in back in the front tires so that fixed the rub issue. However, I recently learned of wheel spacers. I am not a "car guy" so I didn't know they existed. I always wondered why the tires on some trucks I see stick out from the body. Now I know why. I really love that look so I put 1.5 inch spacers on my truck and that made the back side of the front tires rub terribly bad. Even worse than before. Would removing the front 2 inch lift and adding a 3.5 inch lift possibly solve this issue? Also adding the 2 inch lift to the front required what they said was a new camber kit so it could be aligned. The original was now too short. Would this new camber kit accommodate the extra 1.5 inch lift? Camber kit could be the wrong terminology. It was over 3 years ago. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier LE
11 Posts
I have a 2017 4 door desert runner, non 4wd. I put 3 inch lift blocks on the rear and 2 inch lift spacers on the front. I recently got new tires and I went with 285s instead of 265s so it rubbed a little. I trimmed the wind dam in front and removed the mud flaps in back in the front tires so that fixed the rub issue. However, I recently learned of wheel spacers. I am not a "car guy" so I didn't know they existed. I always wondered why the tires on some trucks I see stick out from the body. Now I know why. I really love that look so I put 1.5 inch spacers on my truck and that made the back side of the front tires rub terribly bad. Even worse than before. Would removing the front 2 inch lift and adding a 3.5 inch lift possibly solve this issue? Also adding the 2 inch lift to the front required what they said was a new camber kit so it could be aligned. The original was now too short. Would this new camber kit accommodate the extra 1.5 inch lift? Camber kit could be the wrong terminology. It was over 3 years ago. Any help would be much appreciated.
There’s a lot of factors that go into it... do you have stock wheel offset, what is the width of your tires, also with the extra 1.5 inches of lift are you looking in to getting new uca’s so you don’t have coil bucket contact? After lifting it the extra 1.5 inches there is still a very high chance it with still rub due to the 1.5 inch spacers causes the wheels to be pushed so much further out of the wheel well. The amount of lift only changes where the wheel is with in the wheel well and i doubt would fix the issue of your tires rubbing. Most likely if you want it to stop rubbing you’ll have to take off your wheel spacers, get smaller tires, and really hack up your fender wells.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s a lot of factors that go into it... do you have stock wheel offset, what is the width of your tires, also with the extra 1.5 inches of lift are you looking in to getting new uca’s so you don’t have coil bucket contact? After lifting it the extra 1.5 inches there is still a very high chance it with still rub due to the 1.5 inch spacers causes the wheels to be pushed so much further out of the wheel well. The amount of lift only changes where the wheel is with in the wheel well and i doubt would fix the issue of your tires rubbing. Most likely if you want it to stop rubbing you’ll have to take off your wheel spacers, get smaller tires, and really hack up your fender wells.
Thank you for the reply. My tires are stock size, 285/75/16 and the wheel spacers are no longer installed. What are uca's? Half of that I didn't understand and the other half sounds like something I didn't want to hear. the half I did understand seems to tell me I may be out of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. My tires are stock size, 285/75/16 and the wheel spacers are no longer installed. What are uca's? Half of that I didn't understand and the other half sounds like something I didn't want to hear. the half I did understand seems to tell me I may be out of luck.
Stock except for the 285 part.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier LE
11 Posts
I think what you meant was your wheels are stock size and offset not your tires because 285/75r16 is about a 33 inch tire and stock comes with about 30.5 inch tire. uca stands for upper control arm it is part of your front suspension that connects to your spindle and on top of your coil bucket. The coil bucket is where the top of your strut bolts to your truck. So what many others experience when lifting there frontier more than 2.5 inches is something called coil bucket contact which is where you go over a bump and your uca smacks your coil bucket and it makes a loud clank. The only way to remedy this is to upgrade your upper control arms which is a tad pricy.($500-$700) Personally if you decide to go down that path I would go for some SPC brand uca’s for they are the most budget friendly but also get the job done well. Then if the wheel spacers are removed and the amount of trimming you have done there are a decent amount of threads on here about getting 285/75’s to clear on stickers and in your situation it sounds like they should so for that question I would check out one of those threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think what you meant was your wheels are stock size and offset not your tires because 285/75r16 is about a 33 inch tire and stock comes with about 30.5 inch tire. uca stands for upper control arm it is part of your front suspension that connects to your spindle and on top of your coil bucket. The coil bucket is where the top of your strut bolts to your truck. So what many others experience when lifting there frontier more than 2.5 inches is something called coil bucket contact which is where you go over a bump and your uca smacks your coil bucket and it makes a loud clank. The only way to remedy this is to upgrade your upper control arms which is a tad pricy.($500-$700) Personally if you decide to go down that path I would go for some SPC brand uca’s for they are the most budget friendly but also get the job done well. Then if the wheel spacers are removed and the amount of trimming you have done there are a decent amount of threads on here about getting 285/75’s to clear on stickers and in your situation it sounds like they should so for that question I would check out one of those threads.
This is some useful info. Thank you. Buying new uca's will not be an issue if that is what I need to do. I dont think I am making myself clear or my reading comprehension skill have waned as I reach 50. The current condition of my truck is 3 inch rear lift, 2 inch front lift, 285's and no rubbing due to the trimming and removal of the mud flap. What I would like to accomplish is to add wheel spacers of some thickness (I currently possess 1.5 inch wheel spacers) to achieve the look I desire. When I added the spacers I have, it rubbed very badly on the back side if the front tire. Is there a way to accomplish this? The tallest front lift spacers I could find were 3.5 inch so I would essentially have the aim of a leveling kit if I put those on the front, correct? Might that allow what I wish to accomplish. I apologize for any confusion. You are very kind to reply.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier LE
11 Posts
This is some useful info. Thank you. Buying new uca's will not be an issue if that is what I need to do. I dont think I am making myself clear or my reading comprehension skill have waned as I reach 50. The current condition of my truck is 3 inch rear lift, 2 inch front lift, 285's and no rubbing due to the trimming and removal of the mud flap. What I would like to accomplish is to add wheel spacers of some thickness (I currently possess 1.5 inch wheel spacers) to achieve the look I desire. When I added the spacers I have, it rubbed very badly on the back side if the front tire. Is there a way to accomplish this? The tallest front lift spacers I could find were 3.5 inch so I would essentially have the aim of a leveling kit if I put those on the front, correct? Might that allow what I wish to accomplish. I apologize for any confusion. You are very kind to reply.
Yep you are correct if you were to go to about 3.5 inches of lift up front you should then be able to clear with the 1.5 inch wheels spacers. Just keep in mind when going to 3.5 inches you’ll need to get some new upper control arms, like i said previously i would recommend SPC upper control arms and personally I would buy them through PRG, Greg’s customer service is in-matched. Have a good one, happy I could help!

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier LE
11 Posts
Yep you are correct if you were to go to about 3.5 inches of lift up front you should then be able to clear with the 1.5 inch wheels spacers. Just keep in mind when going to 3.5 inches you’ll need to get some new upper control arms, like i said previously i would recommend SPC upper control arms and personally I would buy them through PRG, Greg’s customer service is in-matched. Have a good one, happy I could help!
Although I would like to refer you to another thread just for some more of your own research purposes just so you are totally happy with your outcome. If you just search up wheel spacers the second thread down seems to be very helpful for the situation your in. I understand that you have 1.5 inch spacers in your possession but it might be worth taking a look at that thread because it sounds like 1.25 inch wheel spacer might be a better bet for you if your willing to sacrifice a 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am surprised that no one has suggested a body lift. It might be your simplest solution. It is cheap and you can leave your suspension lift as-is. Since the fender is where the rubbing occurs, a body lift will move the body upward away from the arc of the tires as they turn with the wheel adapters you wish to keep. Just another option to consider. Or just cut the fenders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am surprised that no one has suggested a body lift. It might be your simplest solution. It is cheap and you can leave your suspension lift as-is. Since the fender is where the rubbing occurs, a body lift will move the body upward away from the arc of the tires as they turn with the wheel adapters you wish to keep. Just another option to consider. Or just cut the fenders.
Thank you so much for this input. Is this an expensive option?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts