Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I spent a day installing leveling kit today and had a few bumps along the road...
1. 2 out of six nuts that bolt in oem coilovers were spinning with the stud, drilled them out and replaced with nismo bilstein coilovers,
2. spent a good hour trying to break loose upper control arm fron the spindle,
3. got super frustrated trying to align bolt holes on PRG strut spacers, why the hell did they change from studs to bolts???
4. NEED HELP!!! i tried everything to get non-adjustable cam bolts out to replace them with adjustable... got the nut off on all of them but bolt just wont come out??? is there a trick to it???? NEED HELP!!!

BTW I have 2005 CC LE 4x4, this leveling/lift kit included: changing front cilovers to Nismo Bilstein coilovers, adding PRG strut spacers (2.5"), PRD bump stops, Nismo Bilstein rear shocks, PRG lift blocks (1.5")...

Thank you in advace for your help...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello,

I spent a day installing leveling kit today and had a few bumps along the road...
1. 2 out of six nuts that bolt in oem coilovers were spinning with the stud, drilled them out and replaced with nismo bilstein coilovers,
2. spent a good hour trying to break loose upper control arm fron the spindle,
3. got super frustrated trying to align bolt holes on PRG strut spacers, why the hell did they change from studs to bolts???
4. NEED HELP!!! i tried everything to get non-adjustable cam bolts out to replace them with adjustable... got the nut off on all of them but bolt just wont come out??? is there a trick to it???? NEED HELP!!!

BTW I have 2005 CC LE 4x4, this leveling/lift kit included: changing front cilovers to Nismo Bilstein coilovers, adding PRG strut spacers (2.5"), PRD bump stops, Nismo Bilstein rear shocks, PRG lift blocks (1.5")...

Thank you in advace for your help...
I installed my Cam Bolts when the coilover assemblies were off, and sway bar dissconnected, and they slid out of the holes very easily. so i'm wondering if your trying to do it with the coilovers and other parts still attached.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah evrything is connected, but i did try to hammer them out when stuff was disconnected. do i just hit harder??? do i have to take everything apart again in order to take them out and replace w/ new ones???

Thanks

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
You may need to place the jack under the joint and take the pressure off of the bolt. Right now you have the frame up in the air and then the shock/coil is pusing the uca down so there is pressure on the bolt. A quick math thing is that the spring rate is probably 700 lbs over 2 bolts which is 350 lbs. Then factor in the friction factor between rubber and steel (probably around .5 or so) which increases the amount of laterial force required to break it free. Not to mention the threaded section which will just tear up your bushings.

I'd assume you jack head is pretty large so a piece of wood would suffice between the head and joint to ensure you are only applying pressure to the uca and not the whole assembly.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've heard around here that sometimes Nissan will cold-weld them in there.

If that's not the case... remember that if the bolts are "loaded" when you knock em' out you will have to put the same amount of load back, in order to get the new ones in.

G/L.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard around here that sometimes Nissan will cold-weld them in there.

If that's not the case... remember that if the bolts are "loaded" when you knock em' out you will have to put the same amount of load back, in order to get the new ones in.

G/L.
okay this is just getting more interesting... should i just try to get them out without lifting the truck... just basically climb under, take the nut off and hammer it out??? what do i do if they are cold welded???:comphead:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
okay this is just getting more interesting... should i just try to get them out without lifting the truck... just basically climb under, take the nut off and hammer it out??? what do i do if they are cold welded???:comphead:
^DO NOT remove anything that is holding up your truck while you are under your truck!

IDR where the thread is but there's talk about using a air/impact hammer to knock cold welded bolts out...

add/edit:
I did mine using 2 floor jacks; just find the neutral point and the bolts slide right out.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If you try and take out the cam bolts, you will not have anything holding on your LCA and therefore resulting in humiliation and maybe some bruises and scratches because the truck will fall on you..

Jack up truck, remove the lower shock bolt, and once the LCA does have any tension on it, remove bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
CAN YOU SPIN THE BOLTS? IF NOT THEYRE RUSTED IN, AIR HAMMER THEM OUT. iVE NEVER HAD ISSUE WITH ANYONE AROUND HERE. aND OTHER THAN THE WEIGHT OFF THE TIRES AND HANGING, THEY COME RIGHT OUT. I KNOW SOME HAVE HAD ISSUE WITH SEIZED AND RUSTED ONES

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
if push comes to shove put the nuts back on and take it to the local allignment shop save your self a headache

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry for kicking a dead cat here guys but.... What ever happened with this???

I'm having the same problem and looking for advice to get the lower control arm bolts out. Mine are seized as well. I can't even turn them with all my weight pushing againts a breaker bar! I tried a 12X air gun and still no movement! They're soaking right now in penetrating oil with hopes of one day breaking loose so i can replace them with the new cam bolts!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here's what happend

1) Bolt never came out, I have tried impact wrenches as well as impact hammers. Since the bolt sleeves are surrounded by rubber bushings all the hammer tools just bounce around. 2 alignment shops could not take them out as well.
2) Ordered new lower control arms from 1stnissanparts.com. Both came out to be around $300 shipped.
3) control arms came with lower ball joints and new cam/caster bolt bushings and sleeves.
4) cut the existing bolts off. I used a sawzall, went through about 5-6 blades per side. those bolts were pretty tough.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Nick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Damn Nick!

That helps but i was hoping to hear something more along the lines of " i let it soak for a couple days and they came right out!" This sucks! I didn't anticipate spending $900 - $1000 to put a $270 U.S. lift on my truck! It's already cost me $465 Can for the lift with shipping and brokerage fees and the alignment is another $100 and now possibly LCA's...... Maaaaannnnnn.:thatswck:

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
you should be able to set your alignment within specs without the bolts - seeing as how you just have a 2.5" lift. I had my alignment set-up fine with my 3" Truxxx spacers and I didnt have the cam bolts then, either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts