Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I tried this afternoon to put my 2" leveling kit on my 06 Frontier XE. I followed the instructions and even printed out ones from PRG just to have better instructions. Anyway I got to the top control arm on the spindle and both instructions said to take the cotter pin and nut off and then to hit the spindle with a sledge to break it free so that you take all the tension off of the shock assembly. Well I tried that and it didnt work. I could not get the arm to break free so that you can get to the top of the coil and shock assembly. I took the assembly out and put the spacer on and of course I found out you cant get the bottom shock bolt back in since there is still tension on the lower A arm. I know that there are quite a few people who have done this already and I would like to know if there is a trick or special way to do it that I dont know? If anyone can help it would be awesome since I am really anxious to get it installed.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Most people who have had this issue have been told to use a jack under the LCA to adjust the height of the assembly so that the bolt from the Spindle to UCA is straight. Then wack it a couple of times and you are good to go.

It has also been reported that if you are really good, you can squeeze the shock/coil assembly out, add the spacer and re-install without disconnecting the UCA from the spindle.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Make sure the swap bar is disconnected too. You have to get a pickle fork and beat on those dirty bastards to get them out lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ok I tried this afternoon to put my 2" leveling kit on my 06 Frontier XE. I followed the instructions and even printed out ones from PRG just to have better instructions. Anyway I got to the top control arm on the spindle and both instructions said to take the cotter pin and nut off and then to hit the spindle with a sledge to break it free so that you take all the tension off of the shock assembly. Well I tried that and it didnt work. I could not get the arm to break free so that you can get to the top of the coil and shock assembly. I took the assembly out and put the spacer on and of course I found out you cant get the bottom shock bolt back in since there is still tension on the lower A arm. I know that there are quite a few people who have done this already and I would like to know if there is a trick or special way to do it that I dont know? If anyone can help it would be awesome since I am really anxious to get it installed.
The trick is to have a pair of rod style coil spring compressors. Each rod has two hooks on it, and they fit outside of the coil spring assy to take the tension off. Or if you know someone with a portable pneumatic or hydraulic coil spring compressor you could borrow. Maybe you could rent one. You will not overcome the coil spring pressure manually. There's not much room to work with, but it can be done without undoing the control arms. You will still have to fight the shock somewhat, but it won't be near as bad. Lotsa luck, guy.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You shouldnt need to pull the ball joints off. I installed my rancho struts with them still intact. Also, do not use a pickle fork like stated above unless you're going to replace those ball joints cuz it will tear up the boots. Another thing to try is getting a BFH(Bigger freagin hammer) and give it a few good whacks from under the upper control arm trying to push it up and out. Make sure you have something to catch the spindles though so you dont whack yourself with it.
If you have an extra set of hands have them pry down on the lower control arm and that should give you enough room to put the strut in place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for all the help guys. I tried using a spring compressor on one side but that didnt work. So I might try using two compressors and see what that does. I guess that top joint is just really stuck in there and it will take a lot to get it out so if I can avoid taking it out that would be preferred. I did try using a floor jack to lift the whole assembly to make the bolt straight but that didnt work either. It just would not come out. I even tried compressing the shock and coil with a floor jack and that just lifted the whole truck. I guess since I had it on a lift at my friends mechanic shop. Anyway thanks again. If anyone has anymore suggestions let me know!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I actually just did this install yesterday myself using a 2inch spacer...it was a pain in the a$$ to get it in like you are talking about but as long as the sway bar is disconnected just smashing it with a big mallet works...also make sure you undo the electrical lines it will give you more play with the LCA. Another step to try might be bolting the strut into the bottom first then lifting the whole LCA back up....PM me if i can help anymore

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks man, I will praly be giving you a holler when I try this again next weekend. I tried beating the hell out of it with two different sledges and got no where. So as long as you unbolt the sway bar and the nut with the cotter pin of course and beat the hell out of it should come out? I am just afraid of screwing something up since I am used to working on much older trucks. I put the spacer on and only lack like a quarter inch from getting the bottom shock bolt in. How bad was your front end out of alignment when you put it in? I know your supposed to get a front end alignment after your done but I have to drive about an hour to get to anywhere that can do it. Anyway thanks for the help man and hopefully I can get in next weekend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't had mine aligned yet but i could tell with a level that it was off a few degrees in both camber and toe...i've got stock tires that need changed anyway so I am just driving on it for a few days (don't care about uneven wear)...i figure when i take it to get the alignment done i'll have them re-torque everything since you should have it re-torqued after about 100 miles or so

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks man, I will praly be giving you a holler when I try this again next weekend. I tried beating the hell out of it with two different sledges and got no where. So as long as you unbolt the sway bar and the nut with the cotter pin of course and beat the hell out of it should come out? I am just afraid of screwing something up since I am used to working on much older trucks. I put the spacer on and only lack like a quarter inch from getting the bottom shock bolt in. How bad was your front end out of alignment when you put it in? I know your supposed to get a front end alignment after your done but I have to drive about an hour to get to anywhere that can do it. Anyway thanks for the help man and hopefully I can get in next weekend.
You say you're only 1/4" from mounting the lower end of the shock. Have someone put a prybar under the lower shock mounting eye, while you line up the bolt hole, it should go easily with help. Plus, the lift does not affect caster or camber, only toe. My toe setting was at almost it's maximum, but still within specs, so that no alignment was needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
that's good to know, i was under the impression that anytime you change the suspension geometry that all three axis could change

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I finally got the thing installed. After some playing with the spindle it popped free like it was supposed to. After that it was a piece of cake. I did it by myself and it took around 3 hours or so. The only part that kinda pissed me off was when I put the spacer on the passenger side, the nuts that I got with the two of them stripped out. Well I couldnt get them off so I put some grade 8 locking nuts and pretty much double nutted the two of them. I torqued them and the held good and tight. I plan on watching them since I kinda had to jerry rig it, but I think it will be fine. Other than that it looks really good and its way better than the stock ride. I will put some pictures up later today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts