Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... exhaust or headers?

Just trying to figure out the next step. Should I save up and do both at the same time? Does it make sense to go ahead and get a full-on aftermarket intake instead of just staying with the airbox mod?

I'm convinced that the headers I'll be getting will be the new Doug Thorley headers for the 3.3 V6.

I'm not so sure on what exhaust to get. I could definitely use help on that topic as well! I like a good deep, throaty sound. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't the most obnoxiously loud exhaust in my neighborhood....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
any time i mod i generally go like this: intake, cat back, headers. reason being is in my head if you do headers before exhaust the benefits of the headers will be limited by the poor flowing stock cat back so if i'm just piecing it all together over time i do the cat back to get the better flow and the potential to get the full potential out of the headers. i usually do the intake before everything because the sound of having a nice intake and stock exhaust is pretty sweet, all raw induction noise not drown out by exhaust just sounds mean heh. on trucks i generally have my own system fab up at an exhaust shop with a muffler of my choice, much cheaper than buying an out of box exhaust. if you don't want to wait and just save up for the full exhaust (cat back and headers) it is pretty cool to feel the difference that the headers make when added to the cat back but it would be easy to just do it all at once.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

This is the order I imagined also. The plan is to do everything piece by piece right now. That is, unless someone tells me this is a bad idea.

If I go all out custom on the pipe, what size should I go with? Any suggestions on which muffler to go with are welcome as well!

I'm also interested in the cats that are more free-flowing.

I wish I knew more about all of this. I'm learning though!

·
Registered
475 Posts
im plannin on those headers next but if you get em b4 me then post pics and vids plz. but yea i did intake then exhaust the s-charger and next is headers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im plannin on those headers next but if you get em b4 me then post pics and vids plz. but yea i did intake then exhaust the s-charger and next is headers.
I certainly will! If things go well, should be some time this summer!

I might be doing things backwards.... Lemme know what ya'll think...

I've been planning on going power first, then wheels/tires/suspension. Is this a bad idea? Will I be missing my new power once I get the bigger wheels and tires?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put the Gibson catback on my 98 2.4. I liked the deeper sound they have. There wasn't a 4 cyl Nissan sound on their website but the yota they had didn't sound too bad for a 4 cyl. I put a pacesetter header along with a free flow cat all at the same time. I doesn't sound "ricey" until around 4000. I haven't found a cold air intake yet for the 98 so all I have is a K&N in the stock tubing. The most noticible thing is how fast I can rap it up to 6000 in 1st and 2nd now.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Yes you will miss some of it. But if your system is running more efficiently when you get the new tires the loss won't be as bad.

·
Registered
475 Posts
basically if you did sus wheels and tires first you would get bad power and mileage until you start adding power adders. reverse will give you better gas and power and then after sus wheels and tires you will feel a little better than stock... supposedly...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to clarify....

I know that my truck will "lose power" once I get lifted and put aggro rubber on...

I was wondering how badly I myself will feel a deep, soulful loss of power in my truck.

Thank you for the tips!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
i'd go with the exhaust then headers, enjoy listening to the engine and the extra power first, then get headers for an even better sound and more power, but thats me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts