Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Frontier SE and tried to change all my bulbs to LED everything went well, backup lights and turn signal no problem. Then when I tried to change the tail light brake light only brake lights would work and the tail light fuse blew. So I tried it again rechecked the Led looked good and Blew again. So I replaced the fuse again but this time I but the old incandescent bulb back no blown fuse. same problem font turn signal and parking light. replaced with an old bulb and worked great. If anyone can help with how to fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
455 Posts
mmm.... wild guess: incompatible LED bulb. your description is unclear whether this is happening
with a single LED bulb or both. if single, swap sides. if both, switch manufacturers...try buying from
vendor advertising and supporting this site and may stand behind their product better

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Exactly which make and model led bulbs are you using?
I had to get the brake light pigtails from a earlier model Frontier in order to get led bulbs to work properly on my 2004 because of the 2 different variations of the 3157 wiring....the standard 3157 and the 3157ck. See attached pic.

Also had to add load balance resistors to prevent the hyperflash of my turn signals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmm.... wild guess: incompatible LED bulb. your description is unclear whether this is happening
with a single LED bulb or both. if single, swap sides. if both, switch manufacturers...try buying from
vendor advertising and supporting this site and may stand behind their product better
Thanks that's what I
was thinking too
Exactly which make and model led bulbs are you using?
I had to get the brake light pigtails from a earlier model Frontier in order to get led bulbs to work properly on my 2004 because of the 2 different variations of the 3157 wiring....the standard 3157 and the 3157ck. See attached pic.

Also had to add load balance resistors to prevent the hyperflash of my turn signals.
Thanks mine is 2006 SE maybe i need to try different bulb better quality. thanks again

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks that's what I
was thinking too

Thanks mine is 2006 SE maybe i need to try different bulb better quality. thanks again
Lol. That didn't answer my question but ok.
Just fyi...3157 is the same brake light / tail light / parking light bulb used on my 2004 and your 2006.
Hope you figure it out buddy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine as the snap-in and same bulb as yours the 3157. So I am guessing I need a better bulb maybe a Sylvania or Philipps. I will try that tomorrow if it's not raining again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mine as the snap-in and same bulb as yours the 3157. So I am guessing I need a better bulb maybe a Sylvania or Philipps. I will try that tomorrow if it's not raining again.
I was referring to the sockets in the pic on post #3.
They are both for 3157 bulbs but the grounds and power contacts are not the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i really dont have any idea which it is but at the auto parts store it says my 2006 Se needs 3157

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information it was helpful. I went today and got 3157A for the front turn signal and parking lights and they work great now. I am still having problems with tail and brack lights. I put in 3157R and tail light worked great but no brake light so I turned bulb over got brake light and no tail lights. so out they came and but back in the old bulb. You think might be caused by the 3157R when it should 3157R CK. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, that's what I was thinking too but you seem to know more about it then I do so I wanted your opinion on it thanks. Now to see if I can find a 3157CK bulb. No parts places here have them or can get them. Internet shopping here I go

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Either buy a 3157CK or replace the pigtails. That's the route I chose to go because it was less expensive. I had already spent over $20 on the Sylvania Zevo 3157R and didn't want to spend another $20+ on a CK led bulb. Pigtails from a junkyard Fronty were only a few bucks.
If you want to verify the wiring configuration before going further, there are two ways to accomplish this. Pull out the brake light bulb and then test.
1. Test to find out which two contacts have continuity between them. Only two contacts will have continuity and those are the grounds.
2. Turn on your parking lights and have someone or use something to press on the brake pedal. Check to see which two contacts have 12v. (See attached pic) This is the configuration that works for the Sylvania Zevo 3157R.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I just remembered that I did end up buying a 2nd pair of led bulbs because I wired the 1st set to a 2nd oem dimmer switch to use as independently controlled footwell lighting. Shortly after that is when I swapped the pigtails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts