Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok been meaning to do this for awhile but been busy (and procarstinating..) but here it is! The first part of my LED swaps: Cargo light switch and gear selector. I picked the two easiest ones first cuz well, i gotta work in likw 20 mins. ANyway, first up, cargo light switch. Remove the two screws holding the lower dash piece (piece below steering wheel). Theres one in plain view near the center counsel and the other is behind the lower piller trim (the trim just snaps off). From there remove cargo wiring harness and unclip the switch from trim. The switch top just unclips from the rest it and can just be pried off CAREFULLY. Make a note of how the insides switch mechanics look as you take the top off. There is a small circuit board with a single LED 1206. Write down which side of the LED is power and which is ground. I use a tweezer and gently lift one side of the LED while desoldering the contact. Repeat on other contact. Lay a fresh bead of solder on the contact points, let cool, then, using tweezers, hold the new LED up to the contact then remelt. Repeat on opposite side. After LED is attached, remelt one side of the solder to relieve stress/pressure off the LED to avoid future LED failure. Test, reassemble.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gear Selector

Only took one picture for some reason but theres not to much to explain. Remove the cupholders (they just unclip from the sides), then unclip the gear selector trim (held on by clips like cupholders) no special instructions here. The face piece with the gears/numbers on italso unclips. Below it should be a clear acrylic piece to disperse the light from a tiny incandescent bulb below it. The bulb and housing just unscrew. now what i did here, was cut off the entire bulb unit leaving about 3" of wire with the bulb in case i wanted to reattach. Strip wires and find which is power and which is ground. Then simple attach a LED there in its place. I used a Superflux LED just cuz i had one lying around. IF your not using prewired LEDs make sure to add a appropriate resistor to it on the power wire. Test, reassemble. Thats it for now and ill do the rest when i get home!

Attachments

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,353 Posts
you should book a vacation to BC and bring your soldering iron! i would so love to have a blue interior but can not bring myslef to learn how to solder on my dash.

good job - cant wait to see the night shots

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
any pics of it lighted up?

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,353 Posts
Looks good not to thread jack but check out bluegauges.com. Send them all of your interior and they will do it all. Used mine for the guinea pig.
how'd that turn out?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Heres some pics
Hmmm... you gave me an idea. I'll get back to you when the weather is warm enough to open up the center console! (and I live in FLORIDA, so take that Al Gore and all you global warming freaks!!!)

·
Registered
296 Posts
just did my center console...and it's not working...i don't know what i missed. I actually wired up 3 5mm leds w/ resistors. they are shining brightly, but it's not lighting up the gears.
any ideas?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didnt miss a thing, i just think that the 5mm is not bright enough. Like i said, I used a Superflux led which is a 4 chip. You can get them at LEDs - underbody kits, cathodes, flexible LED strips, dome lights Since blue is a bit dimmer and harder to see, i might use two superflux. Sorry man, looks like its gonna be sick though. I would say give the Superflux a try maybe 2 of them. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
296 Posts
i think i am going to take it back apart and readjust the the leds...i think it is because they are
directional as opposed to the bulb which is 360.

i'll take pics if i get it to work

·
Registered
296 Posts
well, i swapped my mirror adjustment switch and my vdc off switch. 1206 leds suck. no pics because my damn camera wont hold enough charge to take one. i will work on that

·
Registered
424 Posts
well, i swapped my mirror adjustment switch and my vdc off switch. 1206 leds suck. no pics because my damn camera wont hold enough charge to take one. i will work on that
I agree! I tried to switch out the Cargo Light LED and the circuit board was small I screwed up the soldering and it took some creative wiring to fix it. Even then, the 1206 LED doesn't provide the intensity because there is no reflective material around it. I think I will go back and use a 3mm led and see if gets better.

Also, I tried replacing the the bulb that hilights the glow ring around the key with a red LED. NOPE, doesn't work! That plastic diffusser needs an incandescent bulb to be seen. I think that is what you were experiencing with the gear selector.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i did notice a BIG difference in the brightness of the blue leds compared to the stock ambers....the ambers seem almost 2x as bright.

·
Registered
296 Posts
well, i repostioned my leds in the gear selector and it looks 10x better. i used 3 5mm leds in the light bulb hole and another up around the Neutral gear postion. If you flip the thing over, you will see a piece of clear plastic and know exactly what i mean. I tried superglue, but couldn't get it to stick. i eventually just wrapped it in black duct tape and it seems to be working. I'll check it again this summer once it gets hot.

on a side note, i did realize that there is an orange/amber sticker that runs under the numbers. i peeled it off and the blue is now MUCH brighter. maybe that will help if you want to switch to some other color. green would be cool!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool man that's some good info. I never had to do that with the gear cuz red and amber are similar but with some other colors I can see how it will help! Must be sick lookin! Hmm as for the key ring, don't know why the led didn't work for you jagnorb. What LEDs are you using? I have 2 5mm in there I think.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lookin good man! Holy crap you must be busy workin on your truck today! The gear select is REALLY well done!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts