Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using LED replacements for their tail/brake/Parking/Marker lights?

I think that they could look cool but am curious about color, brightness and legality. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
they work. they're as bright if not brighter than regular halogen bulbs. Come in all colors of the rainbow. turn signal wiring will require a resistor to stop quick flash.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i have 3157LEDs in my stop/parking lights in the rear. didnt feel like pulling everything apart and soldering in a resistor for the turns so i have no desire to change them out right now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
To show my ignorance here, why not use an electronic flasher versus the resistance based one? That would eliminate the fast flash. or is the Nissan turn signal flasher some proprietary piece?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm guessing the way LED's work, they do not have enough resistance for the flasher, the Normal bulbs have a lot of resistance, that is what makes the filament glow. So you would need the resistor to compensate for the lack of resistance, so the flasher will work properly. I wonder why they just don't build them into the bulb circuitry though?

·
Registered
268 Posts
My truck is sexy just the way it is. But I do plan on installing LED lights pretty soon though + plus wheel glapers (whatever that is).

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The reason they use the resistive type flasher even tho inbuilt is so that if you blow a globe you can tell as the flash rate is faster

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm guessing the way LED's work, they do not have enough resistance for the flasher, the Normal bulbs have a lot of resistance, that is what makes the filament glow. So you would need the resistor to compensate for the lack of resistance, so the flasher will work properly. I wonder why they just don't build them into the bulb circuitry though?
Not that it really matters, but you have it backwards. Light bulbs have a fairly low resistance. It takes a significant amount of power to make a filament glow.

Power = Volt * Volt / Resistance

The lower the resistance, the higher the power, the brighter the glow.

LED's on the otherhand, take much less power to put out the same amount of light, so they need less current. The additional resistor is there to basically waste enough power to make the flasher think that nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
2nd gen. Frontiers have notoriously weak backup lights, so I was thinking about replacing mine with LEDs and found this thread via the search function.

I found an ad for this place in a magazine and decided to check out their site.

Super Bright LEDs - LED Products and Accessories

I figured out that I need the T13/921 style bulb for my reverse lights but I'm not sure which ones to get. They have 3 different sizes (# of LEDs per bulb), 30* and 75* beams and two different "white" light colors, a warm and a cool.

I'm not sure which size fits or which color will work better and I can't afford to be the guinee pig and try them all. Anybody have any advice?

They have some good info that explains why you need adapters and resistors for the blinkers too.

Super Bright LEDs - Conversion to LED Car Bulbs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Converted Most Lights to LEDs

I'm not a big fan of the yellowish stock lighting, specially inside the cabin. All my cars have been converted to LEDs a while ago and my new Frontier just didn't look right to me so I converted them this week. I'm also not a big fan of the blue-ish color lighting so I stick to colors that are bright white and stay away from the blueish colors.

Also, I don't want to lose luminosity, e.g. replacing the cargo lamp was was done not for looks but had to be functionally brighter then the stock to make it worth while.

I highly recommend that the inside lamps be change more than anything, as those have the greatest impact.

I also do not mess with the blinkers as that require installing different flasher units, etc. The biggest benefit I see is that it is functional for me (easier to see things, and the power draw is a fraction.

Anyways, I used http://www.superbrightleds.com/ and here is my parts list (I have a 2011 Pro-4x, not sure about all years and models having the same fittings):

Front Map Light: 2x 3022-CWHP4
Rear Dome Light: 1x 3022-CWHP4
Glove Box: 1x WLED-WHP5
Front Side Markers: 2x WLED-AHP5
Cargo Lamp: 2x WLED-CWHP15-T
Backup Lamp: 2x WLED-NWLX
High Mounted Stop Light in Cargo Lamp: 1 xWLED-RHP15-T

Everything fitted well and brightness is much better.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
sorry , but what all would be needed if i bought a marker light, is it direct replacement? what did you do?( to the person with the 04) i have a 02... should be the same haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
the way i always look at LED's is that they draw next to nothing in use, therefore the ECU pics up the low draw as a blown light, so it flashes more to indicate a blown bulb, when really the led bulb is fine, you usually get small splice resistors that go accross the 12v+ and 12v- which stops it flashing rapidly.

ive fitted the led's on my nav, there more a direct and focused light rather than a glow like bulbs, but they look beter and draw attention to them more, plus they illuminate quicker than what a fillement bulb does. i have actually tried this and its true.

**note excuse me for dragging this topic up, new here and wanted to give my input on led's**

·
Registered
354 Posts
Since this has been bumped I figured I'd chime in with an update since the post I made above.

I got the 921 LED reverse light bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com and they didn't fit.

Well, the fit but not tight enough to stay in, so I just put the stockers back in.

Edit: put Silverstars in yesterday but no chance to test them in the dark yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts