Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my headlight housing. The old ones were fogged up and after numerous attempts to remedy it, it was cheaper to just replace them. While doing this, I got some Auxbeam FS-2 LED bulbs, which are so amazing. However, I *THINK* I got flashed once by someone. They could've just been stoned. But on my way into the neighborhood there was a cop pulled over on the opposite side of the road and I *THINK* he flashed me his blue police lights. All his lights were off, but then he flashed the blue ones. Not sure if that was his signal to tell me they were bright or what. I wasn't speeding or anything. So I'm a bit paranoid after the first guy flashed me.

I'm keeping my stock bulbs with me just in case I need to swap them after/if I get pulled over, however, I still don't want to be that *** hole on the road who is blinding everyone, especially the people I pull up behind.

Reactions: Mini_42

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Go shine them on a wall AT NIGHT. You won't see a sharp cutoff. A sharp cutoff is what your fellow ONCOMING drivers will appreciate most. Instead, you'll see a blob of scattered light that lacks focus.

Folks just keep on trying this LED bulb replacement......w/ the same dismal results. Insane.
~ Guessing the price-point has a LOT to do w/ this 'attempted' mod failure.

brighter better :surprise::serious:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go shine them on a wall AT NIGHT. You won't see a sharp cutoff. A sharp cutoff is what your fellow ONCOMING drivers will appreciate most. Instead, you'll see a blob of scattered light that lacks focus.

Folks just keep on trying this LED bulb replacement......w/ the same dismal results. Insane.
~ Guessing the price-point has a LOT to do w/ this 'attempted' mod failure.

brighter better :surprise::serious:
The thing is you can search "LED headlight" here on these forums (as I did) and see nothing but praise. Even on other forums, and reviews on Youtube. Nothing but praise. But the moment there's a hiccup there'a a few people that come out of the woodwork to say "I TOLD YOU SO".

Reactions: Shotgun Jeremy

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Nothing but praise? Look harder... Advertising is truth?
Shine lights on wall at night and see for yourself.
This is an inherent issue. Retrofit or forget it. $0.02

Will add that it is highly ego-centric to offend/blind one's fellow oncoming drivers while believing one did themselves a favor.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Will add that it is highly ego-centric to offend/blind one's fellow oncoming drivers while believing one did themselves a favor.
Which is why I'm here, asking. I'm trying to figure out if I'm blinding other people. I have shined the light on a wall, and even this morning I parked the truck in the street, walked to the other end of the street and walked towards the truck. Also pulled up the truck behind my car (maxima) and got in the maxima to see if I was blinding people from the rear. But everything is subjective, and they weren't too bright, at least to me.

As for praise...yep. These are what I was reading
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/led-headlight-bulbs-review-115353/

"First impressions - they are bright, beam pattern appears same as stock. Not much difference between LO and HI (only 400 lm). Will be able to compare better at night. Nice clean white light........ - Lights haven't dimmed any and are going strong. Still not getting any flashing from on coming drivers. These have been great in the rain, snow, sleet and ice thus far."

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/led-headlight-bulbs-review-115353/index19.html
There's 19 pages of LED discussion there and nothing but good things to say. Nobody mentions being flashed by oncoming traffic.

And another
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...lation-lifetime-led-brand-116521/index24.html

I'm not here to start an argument. All I'm saying is people praised them more then they admit they suck. So now that I have some installed, I'm wondering if I am blinding people. As I said, my own self-test is subjective. There's multiple threads with 15+ pages of praise, and I don't see many people complaining. Maybe one or two.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Yeah, it's easy to read stuff here and attach a snarky tone to it. And will add this is a dead horse of sorts to those who do a lot of reading/perusing around here.
You may not be BLINDING someone, but it is pesky & bothersome. If the added light is not focused, well, you just have brighter scattered light as a result.

If it was me, I'd remove them and try another halogen bulb.
Better fog lights can/will help to a degree.

Retrofit projector HIDs for the cure. Not an easy task, imho. Others might disagree. One can buy these already retrofitted (expensive), but if you're in a state that performs detailed inspections, these might not pass.
This is a tough-y to say the least.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but it is pesky & bothersome.

All I needed to know. I'd rather not be THAT guy, so I'll put the stock bulbs in and shop for some new halogens. I'm not upset, they were cheap. $30 or so for a learning experience.

Damn, I just realized the truck is rolling on to 11 years now and is still on the stock bulbs.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
I'm just gonna throw my comment from the other thread in here so you peeps can duke it out lol:

"Can't believe people think just changing the bulb will give you a flat cutoff. The bulb just lights up, and the light reflects off the halogen housing. The housing is what determines where light goes, and where/if it has a cutoff."
- Me

All I needed to know. I'd rather not be THAT guy, so I'll put the stock bulbs in and shop for some new halogens. I'm not upset, they were cheap. $30 or so for a learning experience.
Good though that at least you're conscious about it. ::smile::

We've seen so many people here pop LED bulbs into their stock housings, stand in front of their truck, blind themselves, and they give them "praise" because they're so bright. "way better than stock YAY!" not even bothering with actual light pattern, and some even post the "awesome cutoff" photo where they are 5 feet away from their garage door. LOL

It's so common in this forum, once a week someone brings up LEDs in stock housings and it's a cycle. heh

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just gonna throw my comment from the other thread in here so you peeps can duke it out lol:

- Me

Good though that at least you're conscious about it. ::smile::

We've seen so many people here pop LED bulbs into their stock housings, stand in front of their truck, blind themselves, and they give them "praise" because they're so bright. "way better than stock YAY!" not even bothering with actual light pattern, and some even post the "awesome cutoff" photo where they are 5 feet away from their garage door. LOL

It's so common in this forum, once a week someone brings up LEDs in stock housings and it's a cycle. heh
It's a pretty big dick move to do that, blinding someone else beause you're blind as a bat. I live in Colorado and worry about deer and wildlife in the roads because i live in those areas, so I wanted something brighter. But I guess what I'll do is just get a brighter halogen for daily use and a lightbar for the bumper when i upgrade that.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
There are driving lights &/or better fog lights you could opt for. Pretty cool thread about the Rigid fog lights going on lately. Something to consider.

Caring about oncoming traffic isn't for everyone it seems. Thus my semi-snarky ego-centric comment. I think it drives the point home nicely. It won't offend the truly ego-centric, though. lol

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
It's a pretty big dick move to do that, blinding someone else beause you're blind as a bat. I live in Colorado and worry about deer and wildlife in the roads because i live in those areas, so I wanted something brighter. But I guess what I'll do is just get a brighter halogen for daily use and a lightbar for the bumper when i upgrade that.
IMO that's pretty much the right way to do it - if you don't retrofit a projector, keep the headlamp halogen and upgrade the OEM fogs to brighter driving lights, or add on a brighter light bar/lamps for when you really need the extra light.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
I'd stick a halogen in one side, LED in the other, park the truck and walk out 100 feet in front of it and see how big the difference is.

Some folks swear their LEDs are fine, some don't. i think it depends on both the lumen output and the design of the LED bulb, some work better in some headlight housings than others. reviews that say 'works awesome', without knowing what car it's going on, that review is 100% worthless. every day I see LEDs or HIDs in oem housings, most of them are tolerable but some aren't, i would imagine those are teh people who recently installed them and haven't been flashed enough yet to figure it out. about 10 years ago before I knew better I had a set of HIDs in a cheap aftermarket housing (which is much worse than factory as far as the light scatter goes), in a car my wife had and it was brutal, it was amusing driving down the freeway, it would light up the signs 20 feet above the road. got flashed daily until I took them out and went back to OEM. it's kind of a pain how so many products sell due to ignorance. if people knew what they were getting into they wouldn't touch 90% of the garbage sold out there. if someone does claim to have decent LED bulbs that work in our truck it would be interesting to see which style they are. I believe the DDs are supposedly ok? but they don't have high beam I think but they're working on a dual version.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
There are driving lights &/or better fog lights you could opt for. Pretty cool thread about the Rigid fog lights going on lately. Something to consider.
I'm 100% happy with mine. And I adjusted mine to the right angle/cutoff height so I don't get flashes from oncoming drivers.

i think it depends on both the lumen output and the design of the LED bulb, some work better in some headlight housings than others. reviews that say 'works awesome', without knowing what car it's going on, that review is 100% worthless. every day I see LEDs or HIDs in oem housings, most of them are tolerable but some aren't, i would imagine those are teh people who recently installed them and haven't been flashed enough yet to figure it out. about 10 years ago before I knew better I had a set of HIDs in a cheap aftermarket housing (which is much worse than factory as far as the light scatter goes), in a car my wife had and it was brutal, it was amusing driving down the freeway, it would light up the signs 20 feet above the road. got flashed daily until I took them out and went back to OEM. it's kind of a pain how so many products sell due to ignorance. if people knew what they were getting into they wouldn't touch 90% of the garbage sold out there. if someone does claim to have decent LED bulbs that work in our truck it would be interesting to see which style they are. I believe the DDs are supposedly ok? but they don't have high beam I think but they're working on a dual version.
Again - no matter what bulb you put in a halogen reflector housing, it won't magically add a cutoff, because you're not changing anything with the reflector. LED bulbs aren't garbage, they are brighter than halogen for sure and more efficient and less prone to failure - the problem here is never about the LEDs - the problem is people not using them correctly in the correct type of housing.

OEM unmodified D40 headlamps are not (and never will be) a correct type of housing. <----- This apparently is something people can't seem to register in their heads. LOL

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
[QUOTE I live in Colorado and worry about deer and wildlife in the roads because i live in those areas, so I wanted something brighter. But I guess what I'll do is just get a brighter halogen for daily use and a lightbar for the bumper when i upgrade that.[/QUOTE]

You are better off with a set of individual spot beams and a set of fog lights rather than a light bar.
You can adjust each light individually where a light bar you can’t.
In Mexico it is common for horses and cows and occasionally deer to be on the highway. More than likely you will hit them before you can stop without good lighting.
I run led’s made by “Vision X”. The interchangeable lenses determine the light pattern.
I also run a Ridgid light bar on the roof.
My Dodge has just driving lights by PIAA and they work fine for Mexico.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[QUOTE I live in Colorado and worry about deer and wildlife in the roads because i live in those areas, so I wanted something brighter. But I guess what I'll do is just get a brighter halogen for daily use and a lightbar for the bumper when i upgrade that.
You are better off with a set of individual spot beams and a set of fog lights rather than a light bar.
You can adjust each light individually where a light bar you can’t.
In Mexico it is common for horses and cows and occasionally deer to be on the highway. More than likely you will hit them before you can stop without good lighting.
I run led’s made by “Vision X”. The interchangeable lenses determine the light pattern.
I also run a Ridgid light bar on the roof.
My Dodge has just driving lights by PIAA and they work fine for Mexico.[/QUOTE]

I was going to go with D) all the above. Light bar on the roof, and on the aluminum bumper I was going to get a few spot beams and fog lights. Aluminum bumper first, then the spot lights, then the light bar. Those are my priorities.

But for now, I switched back to the stock bulbs. I'm hoping with the new headlight assembly with the crystal clear lenses now I'll be able to see better. Then upgrade to a halogen if need be.

·
5,729 Posts
I think that will cover your lighting needs well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that will cover your lighting needs well.
I'd hope so. I'm afraid of the dark.

I was also going to get some setup for the rear for those sneak attack deer.

·
5,729 Posts
I run PIAA back up lights on the Dodge.
A lot of the roads have huge berms when they grade the roads.
The roads are narrow and when I back up on them, they are hard to see.

·
Registered
348 Posts
RNZL3R, is there anywhere you could park the truck in front of a wall like suggested and see how the light looks on the wall? I would be pretty interested.

More and more I see cars (mostly jeeps around here) with blinding LEDs in them. But, plenty of these LED brands say they work no problem with factory housings and offer great beam patterns. From what I can tell pretty much all of them are blinding to oncoming traffic.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts