Nissan Frontier Forum banner

LED headlight upgrade and DRL

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Grabber 
#1 · (Edited)
Quick question: Will the daylight running lights still operate after an LED headlight upgrade? I have read online that the DRLs are the standard halogens running at a lower voltage? Is there any truth to this? If so, what is required to get the LEDs to act as DRLs? (ok, more than one quick question)

#3 ·
Reactions: Foggy4X
#4 ·
Hmm, maybe we could get a group buy goin >:D This is probably going to be my first choice for updating lighting as its way cheaper than projector housings for the headlights. I wonder if they can be aimed to be more useful than low level lights.

Andrew S, I dont think the US spec frontiers have DRLs. If you are from CA, can you confirm you do? you may actually have a different light housing then US I'm not sure.

#7 ·
Straight from the manual. I know when i have it in Drive and release the park brake, dim lights appear. Similar to park lights when the ignition is off. *shrug*

Attachments

#8 ·
Straight from the manual. I know when i have it in Drive and release the park brake, dim lights appear. Similar to park lights when the ignition is off. shrug
Not meaning to resurrect an old thread but I have a Canadian 06 with DRL. After install of the Katana 12,000/6500K, no DRL's given the LED/halogen differences. If needed for inspection, will swap the OEM back in.

#10 ·
I am going to put in some aftermarket LED DRLs shortly though for safety factors.
Hi Grabber - I am very interested in adding some sort of DRL to my Frontier. Whatever you come up with - Please post details! What did you get? How was the install? How well does it work?

Living in the U.S. means I do not have a regulatory requirement for DRLs. I just think they are a darn good idea.

Thanks - Bill Gee

#11 ·
Hi Bill ... I am going to try putting on some of the DRL led strip lighting that sticks onto the headlight itself and seeing how they end up looking. I have done a bunch of research and there are mixed reviews as to how bright they actually are. Tomorrow they are supposed to be arriving so I will post a picture of what they look like after the install. My concern is how bright they will be during the day, the ones I have seen are plenty bright at night.

#12 ·
HI Bill ... Sorry for the delay on getting back to you but I finally had the time to install the LED strip lighting. I watched a bunch of videos on how to install them and they were relatively easy to do but the tape that the manufacturer had on these lights was pathetic at best. I installed them knowing full well the tape would not last .. basically they started to peel away form the headlight assembly in about 2 days even though I fully cleaned where the tape was positioned on.

I pulled the strips off, which was easy, and then pulled off the thin useless tape. I picked up some Gorilla Glue two-sided clear tape and put them back on. What a difference in how they hold now. The original tape was white and I think it was that way to try to eliminate some of the LED lighting shining directly down into the headlight assembly ... the Gorilla Glue was clear and I can see more of a diode effect instead of the solid tape light of what they were supposed to be.

If you are going for a safety angle, I would not really recommend these because they are not overly bright and they do not shine forward .. you might want to look for something like a fog light type of set up. If you are going for something that looks pretty good go with these ... the integrated signal light is pretty good as well. Hope this makes sense ...

#14 ·
If you are going for a safety angle, I would not really recommend these because they are not overly bright and they do not shine forward .. you might want to look for something like a fog light type of set up. If you are going for something that looks pretty good go with these ... the integrated signal light is pretty good as well. Hope this makes sense ...
Hi Grabber - Thanks for the report. That is very useful! Safety is my main goal, so I think I will pass on these lights.

A photo or two would be nice so other readers can see what the lights look like.

Regards - Bill Gee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.