Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LED Headlight Bulbs Review/Install Guide

So I have been eye balling these things for a while and recently a local off road shop offered them 15% off when they placed a order to gain some stock. Will get night shots tonight.

First impressions - they are bright, beam pattern appears same as stock. Not much difference between LO and HI (only 400 lm). Will be able to compare better at night. Nice clean white light.

Heat - I ran them for 45 mins on the drive home after installing and the back side of the Bulb was just barely warm.

Install - Install was PITA due to the lack of room behind the headlight other than that its easy as replacing a bulb. I recommend you remove the airbox and battery if you have big hands. Had to mod the white retainer clip a little. Ended up trimming the 3 white tabs that stick out and sanding the back side to fit in between the fan and bulb section.

Install details/guide - I added some detailed instructions (further down this post) for what I feel is the best way to perform the install, however follow either directions as you feel necessary. You only get one shot to perform modifications to the white clip. See below for install guide created by another member.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-led-9007-headlight-installation-lifetime-led-brand-116521/

Bulbs look exactly like this:

Have a really small ballast which I have not mounted and its just sitting behind the headlights:

From the box:

Engineering behind the layout of LEDs (hard to see, will get a better picture)

Before (Top) After (Bottom):

LEDs

Output with Fogs in dark garage:

Output without Fogs in Dark Garage:

NIGHT SHOTS

No Lights

Lo Beams

Hi Beams

LOs down the street

LOs on the house

More night shots driving in snow on highway

Night shot with no fogs on in a completely dark area

Night shot on snow packed road...forgot to turn off fogs

Follow these directions for installing and best fit. If you need help let me know. The white retainer clip is going to need some minor modification as follows:

This is a retainer clip before mods

You will cut the 3 tabs off

After you cut the 3 tabs off, you will need to slim it down a little bit to fit on the bulb. To do this I used a sanding block I had laying around for my home projects. Sand the side that the tabs used to stick out on, only do a little bit at a time. See next step before sanding too much

Now...The piece in my hand comes off the bulb. All you have to do is twist it and slide off.

Once you sanded a little, test fit the retainer on the bulb and try to put the piece back on like so. Should be snug but loose enough the retainer clip will turn/spin.

For installing the bulb into the housing you want to make sure the lo beam LED is on top and the hi on the bottom. I believe to do this the wire that come out of the bulb needs to point down.

All done! Turn them on and enjoy! :goodjob:

****3 month update**** - Lights haven't dimmed any and are going strong. Still not getting any flashing from on coming drivers. These have been great in the rain, snow, sleet and ice thus far.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
They look a LOT better than I expected! In the pics it appears that there may be some hotspots, but that isn't the ideal setting for a light output shot so it may just be a photo trick. How much were they?

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look a LOT better than I expected! In the pics it appears that there may be some hotspots, but that isn't the ideal setting for a light output shot so it may just be a photo trick. How much were they?

Sent from my SCH-I535
They are normally 150 a pair which is much cheaper than a HID retrofit. I got them for 127.65, if i remember right. I have talked with the shop and they would do a group buy. so if their is enough interest on here, i will get that going. the shop owners are friends of mine which i off road with from time to time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
May I ask what brand they are? Iv really been interested in the idea of the LED headlights. Really like to know more about them besides just hearing the sales pitch. And the actual light they project. Do they throw the light out at a decent distance or further?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May I ask what brand they are? Iv really been interested in the idea of the LED headlights. Really like to know more about them besides just hearing the sales pitch. And the actual light they project. Do they throw the light out at a decent distance or further?
This isn't to push sales for them as i have mentioned this to other members who are interested in the outcome, decided it was best to start a review thread for the questions that will be asked. They are made by Lifetime LED. From what i can tell during the daylight, they project pretty well. All of my wheeling buddies have been blowing up my phone up asking the same questions iam getting now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd be interested to know the brand of these as well. I probably can't do the group buy, but would like to start doing some research on these.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd be interested to know the brand of these as well. I probably can't do the group buy, but would like to start doing some research on these.
brand listed in a pervious post, from what i know they were just released back in Oct. I did research and there is little to no information on them. I have been talking to another member on here about them and decided to pull the trigger and test them out for myself since there is a lack of information. so far iam not disappointed.

Looks cool! About time they're making these. You should turn them on tonight and walk down the road in front of them and see if they're blinding like HIDs. I suspect they wouldn't be.

Sent from my Nexus 4
i plan on it, cant wait for it to get dark. my second car has HIDs and iam going to park them side by side and get pictures

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
i dont care about getting drilled even though i dont have any in mine anymore due to a pos set.VERY interested in this setup though.looks like a winner

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I may be able to free up some funds for a group buy. BTW, I'll have some pics for another certain thread that you started later today... The white stuff is supposed to keep coming down until 9:00 tonight :D

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ah... ****, I just bought new SilverStar zXe's for $65. Didn't really need them for brightness... just wanted to get rid of the yellow bulbs I had in. Lighting up everything is what the off-road lights are for. Hard to believe that these are brighter than HID's but if they are, that's awesome! I'll definitely get some of these if they burn out though. I'm really starting to gain more faith in LED's lately.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts