Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would avoid them. I've never seen a good set of aftermarket taillights or headlights for that matter. Usually light output is garbage or there's very little difference in brightness between braking and lights on - so they actually stand out less.

Personally, I would go with aftermarket LED bulbs instead (provided they work without issue on our trucks - haven't looked into it). Not the cheap crap that you can buy at the local autoparts store either. VLEDS is a good source for LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ya I agree with @G_Loc and go with some quality bulbs! I have my truck almost completely @DiodeDynamics out! check them out! QUALITY THATS MADE IN 'MERICA TOO

*go with the brightest ones too lol

Diode Dynamics

Reactions: Contra

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
I've seen these on a Frontier, IMO they aren't worth it. The LEDs aren't bright, and the LED pattern at night looks weird.

You said you aren't looking for bulbs, but if you if you want "very bright output as well as good quality" you won't get it in those eBay taillamps. Stick with the OEM tail lamps and get yourself some quality LEDs, as others said.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I must disagree with everyone. I have EBay after market and they are just as good if not better then my OEM were. The only issue I ran into was the housing plastic being to shallow. So my bulb melted the plastic. But this also happened to my OEM housings also. This is what I have. I also have all EBay LED bulbs and they are great IMO. I think if you take the time to shop around on eBay you will find plenty of great parts.

I will admit that a lot of bulbs from eBay are junk, but if your spending $5 for a pack of 10 bulbs, then who could complain? Just swap out or spend the $50 per bulb for the same brightness (sometimes) but when I purchased my tail lights, that came with the pigtails. That was a huge selling point. I've had them installed for over a year without issue and no melting. They are technically plug-n-play, however I had to add resistors. One on each side due to the hyper blink. Just my 2 cents (and personal experience of coarse)

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
I must disagree with everyone. I have EBay after market and they are just as good if not better then my OEM were. The only issue I ran into was the housing plastic being to shallow. So my bulb melted the plastic. But this also happened to my OEM housings also. This is what I have. I also have all EBay LED bulbs and they are great IMO. I think if you take the time to shop around on eBay you will find plenty of great parts.

I will admit that a lot of bulbs from eBay are junk, but if your spending $5 for a pack of 10 bulbs, then who could complain? Just swap out or spend the $50 per bulb for the same brightness (sometimes) but when I purchased my tail lights, that came with the pigtails. That was a huge selling point. I've had them installed for over a year without issue and no melting. They are technically plug-n-play, however I had to add resistors. One on each side due to the hyper blink. Just my 2 cents (and personal experience of coarse)
So you say your eBay tail lamps are "...just as good if not better than OEM" ...OH WAIT except there was "an issue of the housing being too shallow", and "your bulb melted the plastic."

That's what you call "just as good if not better" than OEM? Awesome! LOL

Then again you're okay with wasting $5 on 10 crappy bulbs. ::wink::

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
So you say your eBay tail lamps are "...just as good if not better than OEM" ...OH WAIT except there was "an issue of the housing being too shallow", and "your bulb melted the plastic."

Replies like this make people not want to share there experiences, good or bad.
Come on, we're better than this.

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
Replies like this make people not want to share there experiences, good or bad.
Come on, we're better than this.
What's wrong with my reply? My reply was pointing out a contradiction and stating part of my opinion, what's wrong with that? How about I explain more:

1. First of all, OP is asking about 2nd gen eBay taillamps. HippiLettuce is basing his entire reply on his 1st gen lamps. So not the same.

2. Second, HippiLettuce contradicts themselves by claiming that an item is "just as good if not better"... immediately followed by stating that there were problems with the same item. If you're going to claim that something is "as good if not better" then it shouldn't have problems that the original doesn't.

3. Third, with regards to the "$5 for 10 bulbs" thing - I find it amusing when people try to justify dealing with, putting up with, and/or spending money on inferior parts simply because they got them for a low price. You see it a lot in this forum and elsewhere: someone tries to save a few bucks by buying a generic or a clone part, proceeds to have issues with it, then tries to pass it off as "oh it's okay though" just because they didn't spend that much up front.

So there. I agree with you - sharing your experience (good or bad) is perfectly fine. But don't forget - sharing your opinion on a forum on the internet is also perfectly fine. HippiLettuce said they "had to disagree with everyone here" so that makes them open to any response by anyone stating otherwise in this thread.

Oh, and there was a ::wink:: at the end of my post.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Not look for bulbs - looking for entire new brake/tail lamp assembly that would be "plug and play". I have seen some on eBay

For 05-12 Nissan Frontier Euro Red Clear LED Tail Lights Rear Brake Lamps | eBay

But wanted the opinion of the group or from some who may have purchased & installed a set that are similar. Looking for very bright output as well as good quality.

Thanks!
I know you have gotten many mixed answers here but I am on my third pair installed in all 3 of my 2nd gen trucks. I bout the original set for my 07 a week after I purchased the truck and they are now 10 years old and still work like new. They are bright for the running and brake lights I run silver start turns and high end led's for the reverse and they work perfectly. (I also bought sets and installed them in my 13 and now my 17 with the same set up) The only issue I have had and it is on the original set was the bulb holder for the reverse light started to come apart but I just switched one from my OE lights and it was fine after that. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Whenever buying anything on eBay, you have to be careful. It is possible to get something great for a good deal. But you run the risk of substandard parts, and that could cause you more problems than the savings are worth. When you're looking at something that is meant to be for safety, such as taillights, you want to make sure you have something dependable. I agree with Raine. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Remember:
A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A foolish man does not.
But a wise man, learns from the mistakes of others.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I will admit, I forgot to add in a very important piece of intel. That being the plastic housing that melted was on a different tail light then what I have. However if you look at my photos then you can see no melting. My OEM melted also, therefore that means my current aftermarket eBay tail lights are intact BETTER then my OEM. And I don't think it's very friendly like to sit and judge a person because they are spending $5 on 10 "crappy" bulbs. If you saw in my post it states that the $50 bulbs are SOMETIMES better. Not every time. Maybe I'm just a lucky one with my eBay buys, however I find it a bit unlikely that I have bought 10+ bulbs and had them all be great when most others receive "crappy". Also OP stated "a set that is similar" and also posted in general discussion without specifically mentioning only gen 2. I would imagine that leaves it open for anyone would if not? So I will apologize for my lack of effort to make sure all my information was there before posting. However this forum came off as a very friendly place, not a place to where one member logs in and feels "attacked, belittled, harassed, etc." or any thing of that nature really. I am not saying I feel those things, only saying one might take your response in that manner. ::wink::

Again apologies for my mess up.

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
I will admit, I forgot to add in a very important piece of intel. That being the plastic housing that melted was on a different tail light then what I have. However if you look at my photos then you can see no melting. My OEM melted also, therefore that means my current aftermarket eBay tail lights are intact BETTER then my OEM. And I don't think it's very friendly like to sit and judge a person because they are spending $5 on 10 "crappy" bulbs. If you saw in my post it states that the $50 bulbs are SOMETIMES better. Not every time. Maybe I'm just a lucky one with my eBay buys, however I find it a bit unlikely that I have bought 10+ bulbs and had them all be great when most others receive "crappy". Also OP stated "a set that is similar" and also posted in general discussion without specifically mentioning only gen 2. I would imagine that leaves it open for anyone would if not? So I will apologize for my lack of effort to make sure all my information was there before posting. However this forum came off as a very friendly place, not a place to where one member logs in and feels "attacked, belittled, harassed, etc." or any thing of that nature really. I am not saying I feel those things, only saying one might take your response in that manner. ::wink::

Again apologies for my mess up.
No need to apologize. I'd like to think that we can speak here as adults, openly. I don't feel like I was judging anyone, or attacking anyone or what not with what I said. If that's how you feel, that's fine. If not then you understood the significance of having the ::wink:: at the end of my initial comment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts