Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I did my badly needed oil change, while I was down there I look over to my transmission and transfer case. I noticed that there was fluid on the skid plate of the transfer case I tried to look for a leak but I couldnt find one. Has this happened to anyone before?

Im concerned because I have not gone off roading in moths so I don't see how this could have happened.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
what kind of truck do you have?

·
Registered
832 Posts
My 05 nismo is too...

It's from when nissan took my transmission out and put a different one in to find out why my transmission wasn't working right when it was the ECM the whole time like I told them in the first place, anyhoo, on mine, it's the drive-shaft seal where the rear drive shaft attaches into the transfer case. It's a very slow drip but I loose 2qts every 3000 mi or so, I need to get this fixed but I don't want to drive 3 hours to deal with nissan, maybe you have the same problem, anyone want to share a part# for the transfer case drive shaft seal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 06 nismo kc just passed the 70k mark. And I checked that but it's leaking from the front if I makes sense? It looks more like the one for the front shaft. What are the consequense from driving it daily? And is it espensive to get it done, or can I do it my self?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
My '06 SE was leaking from the front output seal. Had to replace the seal and the flange inside too, about 120 bucks for both with discount. If you drive daily without replacing, you're going to destroy the flange. Mine had a worn groove in it.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
You should be able to buy a Speedi Sleeve to put on the yoke to cover the groove if you have one.
Can you elaborate on what it is? I've never heard of one before.

Clint

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
this is strange, I just noticed my front output shaft leaking last night. 2007 LE just past the 70K mark

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My '06 SE was leaking from the front output seal. Had to replace the seal and the flange inside too, about 120 bucks for both with discount. If you drive daily without replacing, you're going to destroy the flange. Mine had a worn groove in it.

I'm guessing the majority of that cost was for the flange. I called around and most dealerships have this part listed between $5-10. The seal that is.

Does anyone know what the torque specs would be for flange? Thinking I am going to do this repair tonight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh sweet thanks for all the info it's really hepfull. Now I don't want to be a pain but I looked for a DIY thread on this but couldn't find one, does anyone know the process what I need besides the parts?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Recently had this done at the dealership because of no free time lately. I was told when this leak occurs, it is commonly cause by a groove in the flange. Dealer couldn't offer an explanation for that. I had to have my flange replaced because of this. flange itself is like $97. All told, repair cost me $388, yikes. I will have a pic up soonof theflange with the groove.

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
Recently had this done at the dealership because of no free time lately. I was told when this leak occurs, it is commonly cause by a groove in the flange. Dealer couldn't offer an explanation for that. I had to have my flange replaced because of this. flange itself is like $97. All told, repair cost me $388, yikes. I will have a pic up soonof theflange with the groove.
That's what Speedi sleeves are for. They cover the groove caused by abrasives between the sealing surface and the yoke. You could have repaired that yoke for well less than $100.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
yes i was aware of that. but with having no spare time to do the repair because of work, i had to have it done. i knew they would kill me. but i threw it out there so people could know a worst case scenario is the dealer performed the repair.

i don't even have time to change my oil lately, whats that take? 15 minutes? lol

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
yes i was aware of that. but with having no spare time to do the repair because of work, i had to have it done. i knew they would kill me. but i threw it out there so people could know a worst case scenario is the dealer performed the repair.

i don't even have time to change my oil lately, whats that take? 15 minutes? lol
I hear ya. The dealer could have saved you some money if they wanted to. They could have done the sleeve repair and a new seal plus labor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just replaced my seal and it took me a few hours but i notcied the groove on the yoke. how do i know what size of speedi sleeve to buy?

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
i just replaced my seal and it took me a few hours but i notcied the groove on the yoke. how do i know what size of speedi sleeve to buy?
The best way is to measure the sealing surface with a digital caliper. Give that information to the parts store and they should be able to size a sleeve for you. Napa and Carquest sells them in my area. Sometimes you can get one based on the inside diameter of the seal you buy. Make sure you use either Loctite blue or Loctite sleeve retaining compound. That ensures the sleeve stays put and does not leak past the groove.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To put a speedi sleeve on the transfer case flange that connects to the front drive shaft you're going to want part number "SKF 99177". I measured the front flange on the transfer case with a digital caliper and the diameter is 45mm... so that is how I figured out which sleeve you needed. My flange was grooved all the way around where it meets the oil seal... It looked like a pretty uniform groove, but I don't think the factory puts grooves where it needs to seal!

I went in there to replace the oil seal because it was flinging atf fluid everywhere and also found that the u-joint that is the closest to it had failed as well, possibly making the oil seal fail in the first place? I realize that the vibration that starts at 65-70mph was the bad u-joint now... it wasn't too loud so I thought it was normal. My old 1st gen Frontier had auto locking hubs, so that part of the drivetrain didn't normally move so it was quieter so I just thought it was normal.

If you're going in there to do any of that, go ahead and get the oil seal, speedisleeve, new u-joints, and 8 new driveshaft nuts and bolts. You'll also need 14mm wrenches to remove the front drive shaft, and a 30mm socket to remove the bolt that holds the flange to the front of the transfer case. Oh, and Nissan also says to replace the 30mm bolt that holds the flange on.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
To put a speedi sleeve on the transfer case flange that connects to the front drive shaft you're going to want part number "SKF 99177". I measured the front flange on the transfer case with a digital caliper and the diameter is 45mm... so that is how I figured out which sleeve you needed. My flange was grooved all the way around where it meets the oil seal... It looked like a pretty uniform groove, but I don't think the factory puts grooves where it needs to seal!

I went in there to replace the oil seal because it was flinging atf fluid everywhere and also found that the u-joint that is the closest to it had failed as well, possibly making the oil seal fail in the first place? I realize that the vibration that starts at 65-70mph was the bad u-joint now... it wasn't too loud so I thought it was normal. My old 1st gen Frontier had auto locking hubs, so that part of the drivetrain didn't normally move so it was quieter so I just thought it was normal.

If you're going in there to do any of that, go ahead and get the oil seal, speedisleeve, new u-joints, and 8 new driveshaft nuts and bolts. You'll also need 14mm wrenches to remove the front drive shaft, and a 30mm socket to remove the bolt that holds the flange to the front of the transfer case. Oh, and Nissan also says to replace the 30mm bolt that holds the flange on.
Thank you Mr. Dotes. The "Search" function and your post saved me today. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
so... bringing this back from the dead to hijack it.....

My output seal is leaking on my transfer case. Should i be worried about a groove on this side or no? I was just going to buy the seal and replace it.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts