Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for the pinion seal to have a slow enough leak so as not to be seen, yet there be evidence of it, with oil (or some greasy substance) in a distribution that one would see with a leaky seal? Or is it possible that the seal leaks during motion (when it's hot) but not without motion, when it is cooled off? I took it to the dealer, and there is no dripping from the seal. It's a 2014 Frontier, V6.

The oil or greasy substance is all over the axle on both sides, the differential housing and the upper parts of the bed frame. The greasy area is no more forward on the truck than the rear end of the drive shaft.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a pinion seal leak on my '03. It never leaked on the ground, but the diff and the underside of the bed were oily. There was also the unmistakable stink of the fluid. Mine leaked more under heavy load (towing another vehicle twice) enough to get on the vehicle I was towing, but it never dripped on the ground. I replaced the seal and the companion flange on mine because the flange was worn where the seal was riding on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you remember seeing any of the fluid leaking around the seal? Mine was dry, and so the mechanic wouldn't do anything about it with the reason being that he couldn't be sure that was the source of the problem. I sensed he thought it was the problem, though. So he cleaned it off, and I going to watch it; if it re-occurs, I may just take it to another dealer. I still have a year left on the warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts