Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my pinion seal is leaking, no drips yet but its weeping much more than it was a few months ago.

I've not dealt with differential work before, is this a DIYable job without special tools?

It seems like there are two different way to attack this from what I've seen online. Some say to just mark the pinion nut and case and line them back up to retain bearing preload but most shops claim that a rotating torque is required. Is the first method good enough? How is a rotating torque measured?

The seal itself is under $20 from Courtesy Parts but are any bearings also typically changed during this service? Truck is at 98,5xx currently and no other issues regarding the diff. Fluid was last changed at about 65k with Royal Purple, vent mod was done at about 33k and axle seals seem fine still.

Advise?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
You are in luck. Nissan makes 2 types of rear diffs. One you need to take everything apart to change out the seal the other you just pull the flange. The M226 is the later. Pull the nut, pull the flange, pick out the old seal, drive in the new, reverse install the rest. I did this to a R200 nissan rear diff and it was pretty easy. Looks like the same procedure. The FSM (RFD45/6/7) calls for a bunch of specialized Nissan tools though. Can probably do it without.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can imagine it's a really easy job. I had somebody replace mine a while back and it cost me all of $75, parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well both of those make me feel better. Once I get some other things taken care of I'll tackle this. Thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts