Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
What is the proper torque for the cover bolts? Anyone?

look it up

·
Premium Member
7,132 Posts
Isn't there a recommended time for curing the new gasket/seal? 24 hours??

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think it all depends on rtv used and application/use/surface. Some want the wet application so it will stick to both surfaces while some want you to "skin over" before mating to ensure equal distribution. Then some like gasket maker want it to totally cure to simulate a rubber gasket. I just used lubelocker so I could just set it and forget it like Ron Popeil likes to say.

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Perfect time to clean and paint it too.

Clint
Exactly what I did. Two coats black primer n paint in one, then two coats hammered gunmetal metallic, baked in oven at 175F for 45 minutes, no I'm not kidding, I baked my paint to give it a harder finish. As long as the Boss doesn't mind, and mine doesn't, it works great. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
If you can let it sit overnight, that's great, but most set pretty fast, and I've never had a problem filling the pumpkin with gear oil right away. Lubelocker gaskets look really fancy, seems to take the guesswork out of it. But wow, that thing is expensive. I've just used either the rtv itself, or a thin layer of rtv smeared on both sides of the paper-type gasket. Also, my fill plug needs a bit of gray rtv or it'll drip.

The most important thing is to have a clean surface before applying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
look it up
OE says 36 FT/LBs, dry fasteners.
Thanks guys. Did some searching but couldn't find anything definite. This clears it up well as I needed other torques for the entire rear end.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts