Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pro-4X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I’ve been browsing this forum for a while now and really appreciate all the good info shared. Here is my first post which, no surprise, is a question:

I was getting ready to change the fluid in the rear differential and noticed there is some minor leakage around the lower part of the cover - is this normal? The truck is still under warranty so if this is not normal, I’ll take it back to the dealership for them to re-seal it. I’m just not sure if this is an issue or not; I understand that the M226 is prone to some leakage.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Photo of differential

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
Mine was like that but not as bad. Ideally no lubricated intervals should be leaking. Imagine it was the engine or transmission. They will balk but tell them it wasn’t that way when you bought it.

Clint

·
Registered
808 Posts
Skip the dealership.
Get the right fluid and get a Lube Locker gasket from offroad gorilla (support nissan aftermarket guys).
Remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug. Reason for that is if you can't get the fill plug out then you dont have an empty diff because of it.
Take the cover off. Clean the mating surface and the cover from all dirt and silicone. Take the cover and install the new lube locker gasket and torque to spec. Fill it up and dont look back. Also taking the cover off allows you to inspect the internals while you are there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
It wouldn't bother me unless it were leaving puddles in my driveway or causing me to keep topping it off fairly often. But everybody's threshold is different.

I am curious about what the dealer would say about it in regards to the warranty. Take it in and let us know.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had a diff doing that and the dealership said that was “normal”. So I just did it myself and it hasn’t had a bit of seepage in the last 50k miles. Used the rtv gasket maker.

Reactions: Kelly Mack

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had a diff doing that and the dealership said that was “normal”. So I just did it myself and it hasn’t had a bit of seepage in the last 50k miles. Used the rtv gasket maker.
Yeah that would be my guess at what they'd say.

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
Skip the dealership.
Get the right fluid and get a Lube Locker gasket from offroad gorilla (support nissan aftermarket guys).
Remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug. Reason for that is if you can't get the fill plug out then you dont have an empty diff because of it.
Take the cover off. Clean the mating surface and the cover from all dirt and silicone. Take the cover and install the new lube locker gasket and torque to spec. Fill it up and dont look back. Also taking the cover off allows you to inspect the internals while you are there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Perfect time to clean and paint it too.

Clint

·
Registered
2018 Pro-4X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll take it in and see what they say; will update the thread after.

But, Clint, why do you think it makes a difference from a warranty point of view if it was leaking like this from the beginning or not?

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
If there is no marks of contact then there can’t say you disturbed the sealing.
I once had had to front tires go bad on a bought new Taurus, the dealer said you must have hit a curb and killed the alignment, we went to the service bay and I said show me a single mark on any rim and while looking the tech said one of the back ones is no good either He said Ford won’t do anything but I said humor me and call them but on speakerphone. Ford said if I pay for 1 tire they will replace all 4 and align the car. I was very impressed that they did that and still send them Ford shoppers and they have an amazing and superbly equipped body shop.

Clint

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mine looked like that before I did like above and used a lubelocker gasket with the titan finned aluminum cover. If you do it yourself you'll see that the factory "rtv" is hard as a rock and will be obvious why it was weeping.

Reactions: Clint

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Seepage ≠ leakage
W/o raw fluid demonstrating, this will be considered seepage and will not be covered by warranty. The below TSB covers this and it goes for any fluid including coolant.

TSB NTB14-057A amended 8-6-15

73K on my '15 SV 6-sp w/ M226 and seepage was seen VERY early on.
Preventive Maintenance:
I'll be replacing my rear diff fluid for the 3rd time this coming Winter and have never had any issue...other than the irritatingly 'seepage stained' rear diff cover.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Greetings, I’ve been browsing this forum for a while now and really appreciate all the good info shared. Here is my first post which, no surprise, is a question:

I was getting ready to change the fluid in the rear differential and noticed there is some minor leakage around the lower part of the cover - is this normal? The truck is still under warranty so if this is not normal, I’ll take it back to the dealership for them to re-seal it. I’m just not sure if this is an issue or not; I understand that the M226 is prone to some leakage.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Photo of differential
View attachment 331180
No. Leaking is never proper. I also doubt it's warranty covered. I'd just fix it myself since it's such an easy one to do, and you'll know it's done right. Drain, remove cover, clean, reseal with a gasket and some rtv, fill.

The diff breather mod might also be one for you to look into, since I see you haven't done that.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
No. Leaking is never proper. I also doubt it's warranty covered. I'd just fix it myself since it's such an easy one to do, and you'll know it's done right. Drain, remove cover, clean, reseal with a gasket and some rtv, fill.

The diff breather mod might also be one for you to look into, since I see you haven't done that.
THIS.

The lubelocker gasket and a diff breather.

·
Premium Member
2020 Frontier King Cab SV 4x4
142 Posts
+1 on the Lube Locker. Just make sure both surfaces are clean and dry, and torque to spec. Over tightening warps the sheet metal cover and can also cause weeping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Pro-4X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update on this: a couple of days ago I discussed the issue with the dealership where I purchased the truck from and they agreed to resealing the cover without any lengthy discussions.

Even if it’s a common issue and maybe more a seepage than a leak, I don’t think it’s right to see it on a vehicle that’s still under factory warranty. I’m happy they agreed.

Thank you again everyone who shared their take on this!

Lars

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just had my 2016 Pro 4x diff resealed for the second time. Only have 24,500 miles. The dealer covered it under warranty without question.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lube Lockers are the way to go - great product and zero guess work. The dealer techs scribble on your $hit with gasket maker like a 2 year old with crayons.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Lube Lockers are the way to go - great product and zero guess work. The dealer techs scribble on your $hit with gasket maker like a 2 year old with crayons.
^^^^Bwahahaha!^^^^👍

1 - 20 of 29 Posts