Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 100 miles on a charge, no gas at all...sounds like a great idea for a 3rd car (commuter) wonder how the pricing will be...

well, that and they claim (on nissan's website) that it will cost only 90 cents to charge but having read that it's for 24kWh batteries, that means $4 per charge up here (power costs me 17 cents per kWh, damn NE market)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I drice about 78 miles/day. This would be perfect, just plug it in when I get home. I also wonder about the price as well as reliability and cost of maintenance.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I am still a little warey of driving a small vehicle. It just takes one truck/suv to lose control and they can smash into you and kill you. I know they have extensive crash testing on vehicles but it still worries me. I still can't understand how people drive the SMART cars on the interstate????? They are almost small enough where a truck will not see them and will not even notice when they change lanes and completely run them over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The smart cars are very popular in germany, was funny seeing such a small car going 85+ mph on the autobahn! If everyone would drive cars that were smaller like that, then there would be nothing to worry about.

If a big rig lost control and hit mah truck I'd be dead... but no way I'm driving a big rig around.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I am still a little warey of driving a small vehicle. It just takes one truck/suv to lose control and they can smash into you and kill you. I know they have extensive crash testing on vehicles but it still worries me. I still can't understand how people drive the SMART cars on the interstate????? They are almost small enough where a truck will not see them and will not even notice when they change lanes and completely run them over.
That creates kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. More people think that way and buy bigger vehicles and then people want even bigger vehicles and before you know it we end up with monsters like the Excursion and quad cab, full size pickup trucks on the road as commuters.

I understand the feeling, but it just seems to be a really bad direction for society to head. I wondered if car/truck insurance should be prorated based on the weight/size of the vehicle. Seeing as a 3 ton SUV will do a lot more damage if it is in an accident, the rates could be hiked up accordingly. Yeah, they’re probably already a good bit higher because of the cost of replacement of the vehicle and the size of the engine and such, but I guess I’m thinking the amount of damage they do to everything else should be taken into consideration. Maybe making it illegal for them to be in the left lanes would help. I see them dart in and out of traffic (along with the tractor trailers – who’s training these guys these days) all the time. I don’t know, I hate the thought of more legislation to control what “we” do , but it just seems like a bad situation.

As far as the original post; I am not in the market for a commuter vehicle since I (thankfully) should only have a few years before retirement, but I have thought of a “green” vehicle for around town travel after I’m retired. An electric vehicle would work very well in my small town environment. Having both of my current vehicles paid off, it’s awful tough to think of buying a small, albeit green, vehicle that would cost more than I currently owe on my mortgage. Maybe I can get a good deal on a used, street legal UTV or a Segway :)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I agree with Jerry to a point that its a self feeding cycle and that is why the Excursion was created. I do love the Excursion thou but only the diesel version. I think it would be great if everyone stayed with a real mid size car or truck but with all the SUVs on the market, its hard to feel safe driving one of those smaller vehicles.

I think one of the worst things is that people are very pre-occupied while driving between the radio bumpin, cell phone, texting, arguing, etc.... A lot of accidents happen when drivers are distracted. The worst part is that a lot of these people are driving larger vehicles which do cause more damage due to their size and weight.

I also agree that there are more truck drivers (18 wheelers) that are too agressive now-a-days. Their job isn't easy especially since there are so many agressive car drivers on the roads too.

Am I the only one that will make room for a 18wheeler when they have their directional on? There is a reason why they want to move and the odds are, they are not doing it to slow down.

I think the whole bigger is better has become a little too extreme but will eventually die down in years to come. I just hope that the car companies remember their is a power to weight ratio that they should not forget about. I am just afraid of the hugh SUV rocking the small banger (2.7L - 3.0L). It won't be able to move out of its own way non the less, the 18wheelers way.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Am I the only one that will make room for a 18wheeler when they have their directional on?
I always try to let those guys in when they need it. I can't imagine maneuvering one of those things in traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts