Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm just looking for a little real-world advice.

My truck was squeaking from the leaf springs as described in the tech support bulletin:

NTB05-117 - 2005-2006 Frontier And Xterra; Squeak Noise From Leaf Spring (Dropbox. PDF link.)

I had this work done, by the dealer, as described in the linked TSB, but after driving a bit I've found that the squeak remains.

Is there a 'waiting period' before the solution takes hold?

In my mind, the fix should be apparent, immediately.

I may have to get under there myself to re-do the same job.

--

Lastly, the TSB says use "MOLYKOTE 7 GREASE" but the closest corresponding reference I can find is to "Molykote M-77 Paste".

MOLYKOTE® M-77 PASTE

Is Molykote 7 the same product as M-77 Paste?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hey folks, I'm just looking for a little real-world advice.

My truck was squeaking from the leaf springs as described in the tech support bulletin:

NTB05-117 - 2005-2006 Frontier And Xterra; Squeak Noise From Leaf Spring (Dropbox. PDF link.)

I had this work done, by the dealer, as described in the linked TSB, but after driving a bit I've found that the squeak remains.

Is there a 'waiting period' before the solution takes hold?

In my mind, the fix should be apparent, immediately.

I may have to get under there myself to re-do the same job.

--

Lastly, the TSB says use "MOLYKOTE 7 GREASE" but the closest corresponding reference I can find is to "Molykote M-77 Paste".

MOLYKOTE® M-77 PASTE

Is Molykote 7 the same product as M-77 Paste?[/B]

Thanks.

Yes. I have used molly paste 7 (<---- as I call it) for as long as I can remember, for stuff like this. Plus I highly doutb that two molly products mixed would be harmful.... like some plain greese and a lithium greese. (some times can turn into thick wax, and have very little lube properties.)

^ Lithium can "displace" the oil from the regular greese, and the only thing left behind is the "wax".

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks. I'll look around for the M77.

This squeak is about to drive me crazy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
It always seems that the dealer solution, regardless of the vehicle manufacturer, to squeaking springs on any vehicle TSB is to grease or oil the springs. The simple fact is that it never works for very long. Why? Because the grease becomes a magnet for every bit of dust on the road. Worse if you ever go off road.

In a very short time the squeak will always return. The dealer hopes it won't happen until you are out of warranty. Note I said ALWAYS returns if you grease them and the time in between greasing gets shorter and shorter until you degrease and start it all over again. Oiling or greasing springs doesn't work.....it's just an easy and very temporary fix by the dealer.

Regardless of what the TSB may say, disconnect the shocks and raise the vehicle by the frame enough to open up the spring leafs. Use a good degreaser to remove any oil, dust or grease that may be in between, let them dry and apply a good quality dry moly lubricant in place of the grease. It will last you twice as long and won't collect dust (which makes them squeak).

Larry:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts