Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a single AAL months ago. I replaced the overload spring, per Greg (PRG). I've been happy with it since.

I'm looking for input from others with regard to the full leaf pack. My truck turned over 100k and I see others post that their stock leaf packs have flattened over time. I'm curious if this is true, or if there is a measure for this.

I'm also curious, what all is gained if I were to use the OME medium duty leaf packs? (CS150R). Also what about the shackles from OME? Worth the upgrade?

The CS150R run around $225 each. As I understand, I still need the bushing packs which adds about $30 per side. So, would it be worth it to spend the extra for the shackles too since I have to get bushings anyway?

I haven't really noticed any negatives with my setup, other than I can tell if I have weight back there (few bales of hay, etc). I also carry my spare in the bed now which is a full size 10 ply 285/75/16 aka its heavy... furthermore, I have tools I carry 24/7 now. So ultimately, I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go with the full leaf packs...

P.S. I have 5100's all around. Front suspension is SPC uppers, 5100's, cam bolts, and OME medium coil springs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
If you are happy with your rear suspension then keep it. There is really nothing wrong with a flat leaf pack. Leaf springs do not need to have a big arc to them. Look at the Ford F350 front leaf pack. It actually has a reverse curve to it.

That said, from my experience a single AAL is terrible for any load handling. the X amount of lift provided by one single AAL is easily sagged out by a small amount of load.

I have always thought going with a HD pack from these guys would be a good no lift option. With a small front lift and stock rear height, the truck generally sits pretty level.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
I have always thought going with a HD pack from these guys would be a good no lift option. With a small front lift and stock rear height, the truck generally sits pretty level.
I have these HD springs and they provided 1.5" of rear lift. So, I added Bilsteins (& camber bolts) set at 1.5" in front. I was never after any kind of a lift, but it worked out that way by necessity. Now after 18 months and ~18k miles, I stand behind them as a great mod for my +/-600 lbs of cargo carrying work truck.

Fwiw, my stock leaf springs were beyond flat and had attained the dreaded W shape by 30k miles on my factory ordered '15 SV. Also, I had installed RideRite airbags quite early on in hopes of extending the life of the OEM leaf springs, but to no avail.
~ Overall, my truck handles corners and speed bumps significantly better than stock. Ride is just a bit firmer = very acceptable, IMO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have these HD springs and they provided 1.5" of rear lift. So, I added Bilsteins (& camber bolts) set at 1.5" in front. I was never after any kind of a lift, but it worked out that way by necessity. Now after 18 months and ~18k miles, I stand behind them as a great mod for my +/-600 lbs of cargo carrying work truck.

Fwiw, my stock leaf springs were beyond flat and had attained the dreaded W shape by 30k miles on my factory ordered '15 SV. Also, I had installed RideRite airbags quite early on in hopes of extending the life of the OEM leaf springs, but to no avail.
~ Overall, my truck handles corners and speed bumps significantly better than stock. Ride is just a bit firmer = very acceptable, IMO.
I was wanting to do 1.5" in front and back. How do you like this setup? This seems ideal. I was for sure doing bilsteins in the front but was trying to figure out the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Like any mod, I wanted to avoid regret. Extremely pleased w/ how it all turned out. I do have Bilstein 5100s at all 4 corners.
Have had hardly any rear sag since the new leaf springs went in. My truck rides better - and is more capable when loaded/hauling. (I do not tow, fwiw.) RideRite airbags are still there to help buffer any issues, though I can't say they are necessary unless I was to have a super uneven load, which I typically don't.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks to be still around $550 shipped for the medium duty OME CS150R's with bushings and lube. I can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger, perhaps because the gain isn't so great?

My truck rides fine to me, but it's rough. I like the idea of changing my 5100's out for the OME shocks but those are also pricey...

This is an expensive hobby.

Last weekend I had my truck loaded probably the most its been loaded since I upgraded the suspension. I had 2x200-ft rolls of 5ft high red top horse fencing, about 16 6.5-ft T-posts, various tools and items in the rear plus my big butt and 1 rider. Took this stuff all over what I would consider rough terrain and it was steep. Truck did fabulous, but I did notice it squatting.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Love when I get to do truck stuff with my truck.

The thing about the rear end squatting when under load is that, well you have a load. If you had stiff enough springs that it did not squat under load, it would be very uncomfortable for the 99% of the time when the truck was unloaded. Thus variable spring rate AIRBAGS!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks to be still around $550 shipped for the medium duty OME CS150R's with bushings and lube. I can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger, perhaps because the gain isn't so great?

My truck rides fine to me, but it's rough. I like the idea of changing my 5100's out for the OME shocks but those are also pricey...

Last weekend I had my truck loaded probably the most its been loaded since I upgraded the suspension. I had 2x200-ft rolls of 5ft high red top horse fencing, about 16 6.5-ft T-posts, various tools and items in the rear plus my big butt and 1 rider. Took this stuff all over what I would consider rough terrain and it was steep. Truck did fabulous, but I did notice it squatting.
Yeah if you want to see what a real load is check out Nissan4life's Got Wood post! It had MY back hurting! Lol

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Yup, air bags.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts

Can you go more in to the truck "riding rough"? What PSI are you running your tires at? While I'm Titan swapped without a sway bar, I've got an AAL in the rear and 5100's all around and I have always felt my truck rides like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you go more in to the truck "riding rough"? What PSI are you running your tires at? While I'm Titan swapped without a sway bar, I've got an AAL in the rear and 5100's all around and I have always felt my truck rides like a Cadillac.
It's the OME coils up front plus 5100's that are the cause of the rough ride I think. I mean, I knew it would be rough going into it. But I have since learned the OME shocks have a lower mount which seems better suited to the OME coils. I'm just planning my next move is all, why i brought up the OME shocks.

I'm just picky and complaining. I have to have something to complain about right??

Tires are 35 psi, no sway bar up front.

The OME coil packs, to my knowledge, would give me slightly better carrying capacity versus the AAL I have now. So, my struggle is, is it worth $550?

Edit: to be clear, it isn't often I have that much load in my truck. Rather, I carry some stuff that equates to probably an additional 300 pounds in the back almost all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's the OME coils up front plus 5100's that are the cause of the rough ride I think. I mean, I knew it would be rough going into it. But I have since learned the OME shocks have a lower mount which seems better suited to the OME coils. I'm just planning my next move is all, why i brought up the OME shocks.

I'm just picky and complaining. I have to have something to complain about right??

Tires are 35 psi, no sway bar up front.

The OME coil packs, to my knowledge, would give me slightly better carrying capacity versus the AAL I have now. So, my struggle is, is it worth $550?

Edit: to be clear, it isn't often I have that much load in my truck. Rather, I carry some stuff that equates to probably an additional 300 pounds in the back almost all the time.

Hey Michael, if you're on a budget and know a good machinist locally, you can ask them to cut an additional groove a little lower on the shock body of your front 5100's. This will move the spring seat down and improve ride if you're thinking that you've got too much spring preload. It's odd that the mediums are running pretty firm for you, the 2607's usually ride really well.

For the rear we have our ADO leaf packs which are currently on sale for Black Friday. They're priced a little higher than the Dakar's but might be worth considering. ARB just had a price increase on November 1, so we might be pretty close in price now. I think our leaf packs would smooth things out for you quite a bit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Michael, if you're on a budget and know a good machinist locally, you can ask them to cut an additional groove a little lower on the shock body of your front 5100's. This will move the spring seat down and improve ride if you're thinking that you've got too much spring preload. It's odd that the mediums are running pretty firm for you, the 2607's usually ride really well.

For the rear we have our ADO leaf packs which are currently on sale for Black Friday. They're priced a little higher than the Dakar's but might be worth considering. ARB just had a price increase on November 1, so we might be pretty close in price now. I think our leaf packs would smooth things out for you quite a bit.
Thanks for the reply and tip. I did see some of your products, I'll check them out again.

I really don't mind the firm ride, I'm quite used to it now plus it feels like a truck, not a squishy bean bag chair.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Good machinist are expensive.! Lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a machinist in mind... Defiantly an art and takes a talented person.

I had to get some serious machinist-type assistance for a variety of parts/problems with my tractor repairs/rebuilds...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Yes,I don’t charge friends. If I wanted to
make money I would go back to work.
Tools? Spent a fortune on just end mills.
Bought two used boring heads. A Wolhaupter and Tree. Over a grand .

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Thank you .
Experimental machinist at TRW Space Systems for 28 years.
Lucky to work with some of the best!
I was just an average TRW machinist.
Still not that bad.
Worked at model shops, aircraft, tooling, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts