Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
youve got too many http's in your link...

nice story tho, but its all conjecture until they actually test a volt.
fixed.

and I agree. I just think it's funny that GM spews out their numbers like they are godlike and a week later nissan throws out numbers that are 50% better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The leaf is a full electric vehicle with the limited range that comes with a full electric vehicle.

The Volt is a hybrid vehicle, meaning it has a MUCH greater range and thus is much more practical for American families.

Until the leaf can make a 300-500 mile trip without having to stop 3-5 times for a few hours of charging. The Volt is in an entirely different class.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i heard the volts numbers are extremely conservative untill they can publicly test it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The leaf is a full electric vehicle with the limited range that comes with a full electric vehicle.

The Volt is a hybrid vehicle, meaning it has a MUCH greater range and thus is much more practical for American families.

Until the leaf can make a 300-500 mile trip without having to stop 3-5 times for a few hours of charging. The Volt is in an entirely different class.
Idk, if the Leaf can do 367mpg, I don't see why a "family" can't have one in their driveway for, I'm guessing, half the price of a Volt($40k). A "family" will have more than one vehicle in its driveway anyway.
Edit: I just read the article. That changes things a little bit.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i heard the volts numbers are extremely conservative untill they can publicly test it.
I heard the Volt's numbers were pretty liberally derived and that the real number will likely be much lower. that and the longer the test goes, the lower the average. might be 250mpg if you're under that 40 mile limit but once you start running on gas it drops fast. at 80 miles you could be down around 150 and by 160 miles you could be under 100...

Idk, if the Leaf can do 367mpg, I don't see why a "family" can't have one in their driveway for, I'm guessing, half the price of a Volt($40k). A "family" will have more than one vehicle in its driveway anyway.
Edit: I just read the article. That changes things a little bit.
if they get it out for $25k, it might not be too bad for a commuter car. problem I have is that power costs $0.17/kWh here and from another article I read it would cost about $4 to charge it here (nissan claims like 90 cents on their site). Now, if I can get them to install a 230V post at work, I'll buy one and just charge the damn thing at work every other day (20 mile commute, each way)...better still, I'll try to get them to buy me one as a company car...then if I need to go more than 50 miles from the office I'll take the truck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is not an apples to apples comparison, one is an electric car, the other is a Hybrid.

A hybrid will always have a longer range than a full electric car, simple answer is because a gas tank is more energy dense than a battery.

An electric car will *always* get better "gas mileage" partly because the formula used to determine "gas mileage" when the vehicle uses gas in no way, shape, or form. and partly because energy production is more efficient as scale increases. A large coal burning plant is more efficient in terms of fuel in vs. power out than a car's engine. When it comes to wind, hydro-electric, and nuclear power. There is no efficiency comparison as there is nothing in regards to a traditional 'fuel'.

If the vehicle is to be comparable to the cars on the road today, it MUST have a comparable range and performance at range. That is the KEY benefit of internal combustion engine's over electric. This is why plug in hybrids are the next big step, NOT full electric The battery technology is not there to provide a comparable energy density to a tank of gas.

buy a leaf. add a tow hitch. tow a small generator.

i swear im a ****in genious. one of these auto companies should pay me millions.
The Volt is pretty much what you describe.

The minute you put a generator on the leaf, you've decreased its gas mileage. A gas generator cannot compete in terms of efficiency with full scale power plants.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I would drive a Volt, however I don't see myself driving the little lunchbox leaf, even if it is a Nissan. mileage is one thing, cool factor is another LOL.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I like the volt better. I wouldn't pay more than $25k for it though. The Nissan looks to much like a Versa. Until they come out with a decent looking super mileage SUV that I can put my wife, 3 kids and my golden retriever in I think I'll stick with my Pathfinder.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
buy a leaf. add a tow hitch. tow a small generator.

i swear im a ****in genious. one of these auto companies should pay me millions.
The Volt is pretty much what you describe.

The minute you put a generator on the leaf, you've decreased its gas mileage. A gas generator cannot compete in terms of efficiency with full scale power plants.
exactly. my attempt at making an apples to apples comparison.

the tow behind generator would do nothing to increase miles per gallon, it would only serve to increase range for those summer vacations or whatever. once you get back home you park the generator in the garage and go back to full electric.

sure, it sounds like a stupid idea. but car companies are famous for trying to make stupid ideas work. :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'll stick with my 18MPG combined Frontier or my 16MPG combined Cobra.

·
Registered
256 Posts
exactly. my attempt at making an apples to apples comparison.

the tow behind generator would do nothing to increase miles per gallon, it would only serve to increase range for those summer vacations or whatever. once you get back home you park the generator in the garage and go back to full electric.

sure, it sounds like a stupid idea. but car companies are famous for trying to make stupid ideas work. :)
You missed my point. The minute you hook the generator up to the leaf you've decreased its 'mpg', you'd be better off with the volt with its full integrated and computer controlled generator. This isn't even taking into account the decrease in gas mileage due to the added rolling resistance of a trailor or the aerodynamic hit.

The mpg rating of the volt is base off a full hybrid mode. Assuming you lived/worked inside its 40mile radius electric only (20 miles each way) The volt would probably get comparable 'gas mileage' to the leaf (will still be less because the volt is a larger car). It's only when the generator is needed (outside of its 40 mile electric only range) that you'd see a decrease to "only" 230mpg.

My point is, the Volt is the more practical car for msot families. If you dont ahve any kids and you never drive more than 50 miles one way the leaf would work for you. But for those families of 4 that may take a trip out of town and still get good gas mileage would need more ranger and space than a sub-compact full electric like the leaf could provide.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Honestly, you all missed the point here! its not about MPG its the price. Answer me this.....who does the most driving?.......Middle class to and from work, driving the kids arround, arrands. So why make a car thats more than likely aimed at the middle class, with an upper class price? on top of that its supposed to be made it limited numbers, how is this being green again?

Even if I do want to buy a Hybred I would buy the Nissan just for the fact I hate Unions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts