Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, iv always toyed with the idea of the 2in diy bodylift, but after reading it i just have one concern, the le front bumper is different than those who have done the diy. reason i say this is now i have access to a welder and able to fab brackets but the le's front bumper is different! what can i expect?

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, what did you do about the skid plate? also did you fuss with the rear bumper? and is there a diagram anywhere on how to take off the front bumper?

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
No we didn't mess with the rear bumper. There isn't a diagram that I know of. Aaron can probably explain it to you or some of the LE guys may speak up and be of some help. I do remember them having to take out the fender liner by removing a few bolts. It was awhile ago so I don't remember 100%. I'll ask Aaron to post up when he gets home.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
yes we adjusted the rear bumper , we actually swapped the le skin onto a bumper that was already adapted to a 2" BL and put that on

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
I lifted my LE without lifting the front bumper (my plates were cut incorrectly). The skin was able to stretch over the bumper no problems. this allows the stock skid to still be used. I've been meaning to finish it and lift the bumper, but I haven't got around to it.

There are a few bolts inside the inner fender that you need to undo to get the front end off. the grill has to come out as mentioned

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zedbra, do you mean that it is not nessasary to move an le bumper and have it look stock with the diy? what plates were cut incorrectly?

thanks everyone for the help!

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
zedbra, do you mean that it is not nessasary to move an le bumper and have it look stock with the diy? what plates were cut incorrectly?

thanks everyone for the help!
yup. my bumper (the metal behind the plastic skin) is still in the stock location. you need to fabricate some plates to lift the bumper up two inches. my plates had the holes incorrectly cut into them so i skipped it and the LE skin still fits over the bumper even though the body is lifted 2"

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
^^^ do you have any pictures?

thanks again by the way, im putting together the parts list right now
pics here, though none of the rear. if you go to my other album with PIAA fogs, there are more front specific pics. you can see the bull bar sitting down 2" from stock. Frontier pictures by Zedbra - Photobucket

for parts look here: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-2-body-lift-19685/

i printed these templates and had some plates punched out exactly - they didnt work for me. but the parts list of what you need is bang on. just check if you are a either a crew cab or not, and if you are either a long box or not. that makes a difference of what parts you need. really, you are looking at enough material for the blocks, and then the correct number of bolts of each length

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wow ur truck looks awesome!! i know some people found like grade 10bolts, whereas the diy just says grade 8... should i go with the stronger ones?

ok so for my install, i will do the body pucks and not have to mess with the front bumper. then i will take it to my buddy's shop and have him do the rear bumper. so the only thing im paying for is hardware and the cost to have the rear bumper raised.

-correct me if im wrong. will it work if my bumper was mounted correctly? lol

o ya did you make your own spacers, or order from 4crawler?

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
i made the pucks myself - i bought the UHMW (if I remember right) and then cut and drilled it myself.

i would lift the front bumper if you plan on wheeling a lot. the bottom of the skin isn't bolted on, and there is tension on the bolts that hold the front skin on up by the fenders. i would think that if i were to rub a tree or something hard, the skin would probably rip off easier than having the bumper up and the skin secured.

however, if you search through some threads, you will see that people have hit their box against the rear bumper while wheeling - especially those with body lifts. I didn't raise my rear bumper, i wheel often, and i have never hit my cab against the bumper - and i have a long box.

take it for what its worth, but ya, you can get by without doing the front bumper plates

1 - 14 of 14 Posts