Discussion Starter #1
Just watched the amazing sight of watching the launch on the telly
Hope all goes well
Have a great safe flight
God Speed !

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
My wife and I are still fascinated by space science. When we lived in Alabama we visited NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center three times. We have yet to see the Kennedy Space Flight Center in Florida, which has to be beyond my imagination.

As a kid, on TV I watched the last of the Mercury missions and all of the Gemini and Apollo missions and have never lost interest in them. I still recall standing in our back yard on 07/20/69 looking at the moon just after Apollo 11 landed and being in awe.

How many of y'all built and launched model rockets as kids? We mail ordered everything from Estes somewhere in Colorado and had a ton of fun.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was lucjy enough to go through Nasa in Florida a few years ago and it was mind blowing when you see what they had done.
I can still remember I was in school when they televised the first Lunar Landing .Always been MEGGA interrested in the Space program

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Here are some pics from the Shuttle engine test facility in South Mississippi.

Engine test stand. Engines fire straight down. Water is dumped into the fire chamber to help cool the immediate area. The thrust is directed down then deflected outward at ground level. The water is evaporated in the process and falls back to the ground as rain afterward.

One of the shuttle engines.

I would love to see a launch in person some day. I always heard anything would fly with enough engine behind it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Very cool mdawg4x4! Some where around the Marshall Center in Hunstville were some very old engine stands as part of the Redstone Arsenal I think. Neat stuff.

When my brother and I flew model rockets, he had one that the parachute often failed on. He repainted it 'CCCP' in honor of the Soviet space program. <g>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts