Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only gripe I have with my 2019 Frontier SL Crew Cab is the front wheels don't cramp enough to get in tight spots, backing out of driveway, etc. Has anyone found a solution to this? Underneath the truck on a lift, it looks like the front wheels could Go little more in either direction. There are no travel stops on the control arms, or steering knuckles.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
This is something you will just have to get use to. Pretty soon you will find it easier to park and maneuver. I like to back into parking spots and driveways, plus it is easier when you leave. I know the turning radius is horrible but soon you will know your limits and it will become second nature, but backing into spots I think helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Invasion 08, I'm going to research this a little more, as about 10 years ago, my 1954 Studebaker Wagon with a aftermarket front suspension kit had the same problem. The factory Rep for the Flaming River steering rack said to take the boots off, and shorten the Stop Tube ends on both sides of rack, by 1", thus eliminating the short steering travel. It worked! I might get a Used rack from Pick A Part, and experiment on it first. Just don't know if the Nissan rack and Flaming River are similar in construction. Thanks for responding, I'll post what I find out.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The turning radius of the Frontier is about average, possibly a little wider than others.

Frontier: 21-23'
Tacoma: 20-22'
Ranger: 21'
Colorado: 20-22'
Ram: 23-24'

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was amazed at how nimble my little frontier was. You should drive around in a real truck like F350 crewcab for awhile,then you'll appreciate these little trucks maneuverability more.

·
Registered
560 Posts
no truck has a very good turning radius anymore hardly since they are all huge now days with longer wheelbases. oddly enough the xterras had a very tight turning radius so i'm not sure why the trucks would not be the same but they aren't.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Xterra does have a smaller turning radius, as it’s wheelbase is much shorter. We’ve found our Frontier rides much smoother, also due to wheelbase.
I really don’t find the Frontier to have any worse turning radius than I expected. Not near bad enough to justify the complaints. But I’ve driven full sized trucks for comparison. Think the people with issues may have only driven cars/suvs.

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
my biggest complaint with turning these trucks is its always been a chore to do so.

its the hardest turning steering wheel ive ever felt. ive owned 4 xterras and 3 frontiers and 1 titan. they were all pretty similar in turning feel.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks Invasion 08, I'm going to research this a little more, as about 10 years ago, my 1954 Studebaker Wagon with a aftermarket front suspension kit had the same problem. The factory Rep for the Flaming River steering rack said to take the boots off, and shorten the Stop Tube ends on both sides of rack, by 1", thus eliminating the short steering travel. It worked! I might get a Used rack from Pick A Part, and experiment on it first. Just don't know if the Nissan rack and Flaming River are similar in construction. Thanks for responding, I'll post what I find out.
If you are 2WD this may be easier, I know at full lock in 4WD I can feel the u-joints binding a bit, would be worse if turning tighter.

I generally try to keep the wheels as straight as possible in 4WD.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Ironically enough, 4x4 Frontiers have an ever so slightly tighter turning radius than 4x2s...just a couple/few inches though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
my biggest complaint with turning these trucks is its always been a chore to do so.

its the hardest turning steering wheel ive ever felt. ive owned 4 xterras and 3 frontiers and 1 titan. they were all pretty similar in turning feel.
Interesting, I never found it to be super difficult. Although compared to some other cars it is definitely stiffer. I almost always have to check myself after driving the better half's camry.

That being said, I've always preferred cars to have a little stiffer steering feel. So I'm sure personal preference has something to do with my perception. I'd put the stock frontier about the same as a stock GTI (whatever generation a 2010 is)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, Skinny, I agree with you, I like a stiffer, more Positive steering. After coming from a 2005 GMC Envoy SUV with 190,000 miles, the Frontiers steering is Uber positive!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The CV joints can only bend so much. At full lock there needs to be a little left to handle the suspension travel as well. That is the limiting factor in most front suspensions. The 2WD truck uses the same parts as the 4WD, so the limits set by the 4WD are carried over into the 2WD.

Wheelbase is another factor. The longer the wheelbase, the better the ride (usually) and the more stable it is (usually). Chassis wise it makes it possible to get a higher tow rating most of the time as well. And the marketing tells us we care about towing and not the turning radius in a parking lot.

As pointed out, it really isn't that different than anything else on the market.

If you want to see a group that plays with steering angles, go look at the drift scene. They get all crazy with a ton of custom suspension work just to get the tires to steer super sharp. But none of those steer tires are driven either.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Because the suspension on the 4x2 is the same as a 4x4 and the CV angles are the limitation. You don't have CVs, but you share the same suspension that has them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, I understand. My son has a Colorado and complains too. I guess it’s a small trucks short wheelbase issue. My neighbor has a Tacoma and hit his trash cans last week and bitched about his turning radius.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts