Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried mounting up the larger diameter (12.1 inch versus the fronty 11.2 inch) pathfinder rear rotors on their frontier along ;with the pathfinder rear calliper mouting plates in order to move the oem fronty caliper into position to accept the larger rotor? it looks like it would work and add some additional braking power for those of us that haul heavier loads in the bed.

thoughts?

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
wouldn't keeping the frontier calipers result in the same braking force? Assuming the Pathfinder calipers are larger and swapped in, only then would you get an improvement i'd assume.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The braking area (and associated force) will increase as a function of the rotor diameter; ie, 12.1/11.2= 1.083; or, approximately 8% The pathy and fronty share the same rear caliper. The pathy uses a different rear caliper mounting plate.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
More leverage with the bigger rotor equals better stopping power. Bigger rotors are probably the reason for 17" wheels, 16" might not have enough room.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The pathy has the 16" rims thou. Those are the 5 spoke versions. The 17s are the 6 spoke semi-nismo version and the 18s are the dual 6 spoke that people go ape-shiz for.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You need to look at the brakes as a total package thought. Assuming everything bolted up, you have changed your brake bias and may lock the rears up first under hard braking, which is bad. Although, it may be possible for the ABS to compensate and still keep good brake balance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need more 'brake bias' on the rear axle when I am hauling a heavy load; ie, the oem Nissan setting places too much braking on the front for loaded conditions.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I just realized that you are talking about only doing the rear. My opinion only, but I wouldn't upgrade half the braking system. I think if you do all 4 wheels it should be fine, but not half.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The issue with touching all 4 wheels is that the fronts are the same between the pathy, frontier and xterra. It is just the rear that is different as the OP has stated.

I still think your best bet is to build a custom Frontier/Titan hybrid m226 to keep the Frontier width but get the Titans lug pattern and brakes. Then just swap the Titan spindle/hubs/brakes in the front. Follow it all up with the Titan MC and you should be good to go.

This would give you the best of all worlds. You would have the larger brakes front and rear, a better bolt pattern and not to mention, an m226 that you could either use a TruTrac in or the ARB air locker.

P.S. I started a thread talking about this swap in more depth if you want to read it. This is the route I am going to be going in the future.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The issue with touching all 4 wheels is that the fronts are the same between the pathy, frontier and xterra. It is just the rear that is different as the OP has stated.

I still think your best bet is to build a custom Frontier/Titan hybrid m226 to keep the Frontier width but get the Titans lug pattern and brakes. Then just swap the Titan spindle/hubs/brakes in the front. Follow it all up with the Titan MC and you should be good to go.

This would give you the best of all worlds. You would have the larger brakes front and rear, a better bolt pattern and not to mention, an m226 that you could either use a TruTrac in or the ARB air locker.

P.S. I started a thread talking about this swap in more depth if you want to read it. This is the route I am going to be going in the future.
Sorry my bad, I didn't see anything about the fronts all being the same.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
^^^ Its fine, I never even knew the rears were larger on the pathfinders.

Just a side note: The Big Brake Kit from stillen is only front calipers and rotors so most kits really only affect the fronts. This does not exactly help truck thou since they do seem to tow a lot compared to cars and need a better braking bias.

LOL. another reason to do the Titan axles/spindles/brake swap.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^^^ Its fine, I never even knew the rears were larger on the pathfinders.

Just a side note: The Big Brake Kit from stillen is only front calipers and rotors so most kits really only affect the fronts. This does not exactly help truck thou since they do seem to tow a lot compared to cars and need a better braking bias.

LOL. another reason to do the Titan axles/spindles/brake swap.
The front brakes do 75% of the work due to the weight transfer of a vehicle under braking. That's why most upgrade kits just focus on the front; the rears barely do anything, especially under hard braking. Having a heavy load in the back of the truck isn't going to change this, because physics will shift the weight of that load forward under braking. That's why vehicles nose in and the rear end lifts up when you slam on the brakes.

What you want to do is make the front brakes as big as possible. However, whether you do the fronts or backs, putting in a larger rotor will only help if you also get a larger pad. If the stock brake pad is already completely touching the stock size rotor, then you won't gain anything in terms of swept area with a larger rotor unless you also get a larger pad.

I'd save you money and stick with the OEM-size rear rotors and just get better pads. Front brakes are where it's at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts