Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

As per my previous thread I have a weird knocking/grinding sound at random speeds below 45mph.
Here is what I have discovered over the last week:
1. Sound is random, no pattern what so ever. Sounds like something is loose. (metal on metal)
2. I can get it to make that sound if I'm sitting in park, then quickly shift to reverse, then drive, then back to reverse (while still on the brakes), or by putting in reverse and heavily accelerating. It will only clack 1-2 times.
3. I still have not determined the location of the noise.
4. So far I have checked u-joints (seem to be fine, tried twisting the driveshaft and it is solid), brakes (no rattling pads), front half shafts (seem to be nice and tight), transfer case to front diff shaft (seem to be in good condition).

I'm out of ideas, please help

Do failing rear diffs make any abnormal sounds? Failing transmissions? transfer cases?

Thank you all in advance

Nick

PS THIS SOUND WAS NO PRESENT PRIOR TO PRG UCAS, RADFLOS, DEAVER AAL, AND KMA BUMPER INSTALL. I did check all of those and they all sit nice and tight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello everyone,

As per my previous thread I have a weird knocking/grinding sound at random speeds below 45mph.
1. Sound is random, no pattern what so ever. Sounds like something is loose. (metal on metal)
2. I can get it to make that sound if I'm sitting in park, then quickly shift to reverse, then drive, then back to reverse (while still on the brakes), or by putting in reverse and heavily accelerating. It will only clack 1-2 times.
did
Hello everyone,

4. So far I have checked u-joints (seem to be fine, tried twisting the driveshaft and it is solid), brakes (no rattling pads), front half shafts (seem to be nice and tight), transfer case to front diff shaft (seem to be in good condition).

Do failing rear diffs make any abnormal sounds? Failing transmissions? transfer cases?

Thank you all in advance

Nick

PS THIS SOUND WAS NO PRESENT PRIOR TO PRG UCAS, RADFLOS, DEAVER AAL, AND KMA BUMPER INSTALL. I did check all of those and they all sit nice and tight.
did you ever figure this out.. i have same situation

Thank you all in advance

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts