Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Frontier SE King Cab 6 Cyl 4x2 with 105,000 mi has been gargling gas these last 6 weeks from 13 mi/gallon to 9-10 mi/gallon half city driving half freeway driving 20 mi to work and 20 mi back home.
My mechanic checked it on his machine and it translated to the Knock Sensor.
I also see some bits of oil leaks on the sides of the covers so there is some small amount of oil leaks I presume.
Today he changed the knock sensor, took 2 hours for him to reach that part after removing so many stuffs.
What usually are the expected problems which arise after these job and their solutions?
These knock sensor has been replaced at 42,000 mi and this truck has never run to its original state after this first knock sensor replacement not even the mechanics at the dealer solved what the problem was even when the OBD was changed at the dealer also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Knock sensor replacement

My mechanic has finished installing the knock sensor today, replaced the gasket and the other gasket on the valve cover.
He saw the error in the first knock sensor replacement and explain why the response when I floor the accelator seems to be very slow and retarded and when releasing the accelerator from 80mi/hr, the speedometer immediately drops 10mi losing its momentum, is that the first mechanic did not change the gasket so there is a mix of water and air in the 6th cylinder so I am losing power, so I need to pump more gas to maintain a certain speed.
I tested the Frontier and I was very surprised to feel the responsivensess of the gas pedal to my slight tap of the accelerator and the hum and purrr of the engine seems to be quieter than the previous 6 years after it has supposed to have been fixed.
I ran it at 90 in the freeway and release the accelerator, it carried its momentum for about a minute before slowly dropping speed unlike before when it immediately drop 10 mi and can feel a shudder of the engine.
I'll see how much my gas consumption will be when I get back to work tomorrow, I know I can get at least 15mi/gal the way it runs now.
Very happy with the job done....:goodjob::)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Knock Sensor

Just so you know the Knock sensor on 2001-04 Frontiers is a common problem. When another code pops up and sets the SES light a knock sensor code automatically comes up too as part of the problem even though there is nothing wrong with that sensor. As I've said in other posts my SES has been on for quite sometime and my truck runs like a champ. Whenever the SES pops on for whatever reason it always posts a knock sensor fault as well. I know there is nothing wrong with the knock sensor since the truck runs flawless with no performance or drive ability issues. I suggest investing in an OBDII diagnostic tool and just erasing the knock sensor fault. It also comes in handy when inspecting or just figuring out what is wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts