Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I did the relocation mod. I did everything it said to do to the letter, but im still getting the KS code and now im getting a second code that i wasn't getting before(bank 1 something). I am using a maxima harness from courtesy parts and an ebay knock sensor. i have no idea where to start trouble shooting and I'm kind of a retard when it comes to electronics. I am starting to get fed up with this whole thing. I can just about watch the needle fall on my gas guage. I have no power and I'm getting maybe 14mpgs. Please help me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Bank 1 is an o2 senor issue. Unless you used the wrong wires (say from the 02 sensor) the relocation would not anything thing to do with the bannk 1 issue. If you did not use the wires from the o2 sensor then you have an o2 sensor problem.

Did you use the right wires? Take some photos to show what you did.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I really hate this issue with our gen trucks. Mine is startin to act up again. I replace it at 47k now at 62k. Sometimes I wish I could just trade for a 2nd gen with the same mods I have on mine.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I really hate this issue with our gen trucks. Mine is startin to act up again. I replace it at 47k now at 62k. Sometimes I wish I could just trade for a 2nd gen with the same mods I have on mine.
Yes the KS dies quickly as I think it is heat that kills them. Reason I think this is that the 4cyl guys don´t have problems like we do.

Also, the KS does do something (according to the FSM). It advances the timing to optimum engine performance. However, not sure what that is and cannot prove that it makes a difference on this engine. I wish I could test this.

Yeah sometimes I wish I a 2nd gen more refined. However, the 1st gen is good looking and fun to drive.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
KS doesnt really do anything on NA engine anyway....
that would explain why my mileage dropped 3 mpg when mine went out/stopped working.

Some guys have had luck with disconnecting the plug on top of the valve cover and spraying some contact cleaner and dielectric grease in there. seems to be as much a plug issue as a sensor issue.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mpgs and power have gone to hell. I'm going to go get the codes read tomorrow and get the exact codes for yall. If I had the wires crossed what code would it be throwing, also what codes would it throw if my sensor wasn't grounded?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The ECM KS code only shows something wrong with the KS and nothing else.

My huntch is that it´s just your luck that you happened to get the bank1 error when you were doing the ks relocate. However, you need to make sure the correct wires were used.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ECM KS code only shows something wrong with the KS and nothing else.

My huntch is that it´s just your luck that you happened to get the bank1 error when you were doing the ks relocate. However, you need to make sure the correct wires were used.
I'm 99% sure I used the right wires. What else could be causing my knock sensor problems?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went and got the codes read today. This is exactly what the reader said. "Knock sensor 1ckt malfunction bnk 1 or single sensor"

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Do you have a CEL light on too? You should not with the KS.

Did you try switching the wires on the KS relocate. I know when I first tried this the white wire on the engine looked yellow. I messed up the wiring and when I switched wires it worked.

After you do the switch reset ECM.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No CEL, Ill switch the wires.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I get the knock sensor code and the light was on when i bought the truck (82k miles) it went off at 84k, and stayed off until i filled up with 91, then then it turned off again tonight at 87k..... Wierdddd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts