Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my truck is a 2001 Nissan Frontier 3.3L V6 supercharged. I've been having a lot of issues lately with it idling extremely rough and low, almost like it's dying, but when I'm driving normally everything acts fine. I thought the supercharger could be the culprit, causing the truck to idle down, so I replaced the nose cone bearings. It helped for a while, and now my truck's check engine light is on again. Went to have it scanned and it read multiple misfire and knock sensor. Knock sensor seems to be a code that comes up whenever anything is wrong so I wanted to hear if anyone had similar experiences and what I should troubleshoot. The truck idles very rough and slow, gets bad gas mileage, definitely acts like it's missing.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
Well, good gas mileage is something you are not going to get on a supercharged Frontier, even when it is running right. I get about 12-13 MPG on my '03 SVE 4x4. A knock sensor won't trigger a misfire, but a misfire will (and should) trigger a knock sensor code. The job of the knock sensor is to help the ECM to protect the engine in cases where there is a misfire or engine knock condition. If the ECM detects a knock via input from the knock sensor, it will disable boost from the supercharger by controlling the boost solenoid and it will decrease ignition timing.
There are a lot of things that can cause "a" or "multiple" misfires. Often these can be traced to the ignition system; improper or worn spark plugs, bad ignition wires or cap and rotor or even a bad distributor (tip: when replacing ignition components, stick with NGK brand or genuine Nissan parts). Dirty or faulty fuel injectors can also be an issue on these motors. Also, check for a dirty fuel filter/low fuel pressure, excessively high fuel pressure and/or intake system air leaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My recent misfire was a bad fuel injector at cylinder #2. But my code kept on coming up cylinder #2 after every reset.
Multiple misfires sounds electrical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a high pitch whine in your motor? I have been having the same problem only my secondary code is cylinder 3 misfire which can be caused by knock sensor I am told. But I Have a high pitched whine coming from the middle of the motor. I had it in a transmission shop because it sounded like it was coming from the bell housing. They thought maybe it was fly wheel, torque converter or pump but was eliminated and they found the noise was in the motor. Planning on rebuild.

I am on my 3rd sensor with new wiring harness and it is still doing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
Do you have a high pitch whine in your motor? I have been having the same problem only my secondary code is cylinder 3 misfire which can be caused by knock sensor I am told. But I Have a high pitched whine coming from the middle of the motor. I had it in a transmission shop because it sounded like it was coming from the bell housing. They thought maybe it was fly wheel, torque converter or pump but was eliminated and they found the noise was in the motor. Planning on rebuild.

I am on my 3rd sensor with new wiring harness and it is still doing it.
Knock sensors cannot cause misfires, but misfires can cause knock sensor codes. Sounds like your knock sensor is working properly and you need to fix the cylinder 3 misfire issue. Is this a VG33E or a VG33ER?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry lonman, I never had a high pitch whine in my motor.
I used to get the knock sensor code thrown all the time until I relocated the sensor using one of JoeFrontiers posts to figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts