Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my kings for about 4 months without a problem. Now the right side has started leaning and I cant figure out why. Ive measure the shock length on both sides but Its only about 1/16th off. I tried adjusting it by compressing the spring and lengthening the shock even more but it still leans. Heres my questions.

1)Do the shocks just need constant maintenance?

2)When trying to tighten the hex bolt to clamp and hold the top of the spring it didnt close all the way and I cant tighten it anymore, will it be ok?

I wish I had pictures sorry about the poorly worded or confusing questions

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
in question #2, are you talking about the collar that sits on the threaded sock body that can be adjusted up/down to change preload? you might not be able to get that "closed" all the way, its just the way they are.

how much is it leaning? enough to see it by eyeballing your truck from a distance, or are you measuring it with a ruler? trucks aren't perfect, and weight distribution may be a little off. coilovers sometimes need to be adjusted to accommodate for spring sag (it happens with all/any type of spring) and vehicle load.

to give you an idea of how much weight distribution effects coilovers; when i plan a wheeling trip, i have to pack my equipment a certain way so that my truck sits level (side to side) when i'm on flat land. cooler placement, a full tank of gas, and whether or not i'm going to have a passenger really make a difference in how i have to distribute equipment weight on either side of the truck.

it effects you less since you have leafs in the rear, but that just gives you an idea of the nature and behavior of coilovers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that, i understand how to adjust it but for whatever reason there was a period of time that I just had to keep re-adjusting them and it becomes a pain in the *** when you spend 60 dolla on an alignment.

It finally stopped but a lot of things you said were definately pretty obvious (although I over-looked those factors) so all that stuff Ill take into consideration. I love my kings, I wouldnt have it any other way. Anyway Thanks again for the responses they are much appreciated

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope not they're kings. i got lucky gettin em to. I went to the shop after being stupid and buying the SLR kit before I knew if there were still shocks being made for Spencers kit and got the very last pair. The guy said they were about to hock em at a swap meet because no one can find SLR kits anymore

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as i know they manufacture their own springs. Mine were custom made for the kit and the truck so I imagine they did it right there in the shop. its a nifty little place to go check out, good people work in there. they were pretty busy when I went in, but still helped me out a whole heap and said that theyd replace em if there werent too many miles on em

1 - 9 of 9 Posts