Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here. I'm currently shopping around for a 2020 Pro4x Crew cab, but found a brand new 2019 King cab that I should be able to get for a steal.

I like the longer bed that comes with the King cab, but I'm concerned that the rear jump seats may be too small for my occasional needs.

I don't normally use the back seats in my current car (Subaru Outback) as it is not our primary family vehicle, but it is nice to have the option of a back seat for when I have one or two of my kids in tow.

I never have adults riding with me, but I do have a teenage girls and a couple 5 yr. olds.

For those of you with the King cab, have you found it adequate/comfortable to have smaller children and/or teenagers ride in the jump seats?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2010 king cab specifically for the longer bed for the dirt bike. I do stick the 7 year old and 3 year old in it for short trips and occasional ventures in the woods. Down the line I would like to get the crew cab for when they’re bigger.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've had 2 adult passengers on occasion, both sitting on the passenger side of the truck.

When I buy another it will be a crew cab, I simply don't use the extra bed space. Four regular doors would be nice in itself.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
The crew cab is essentially a 5-passenger vehicle with a 5 foot bed in the back - Combines the best traits of a sedan, and a pickup.

Mine usually has one rear seat flipped down to hold extra cargo - but it'll still accommodate 3 or 4 passengers that way.

Ridiculously versatile.

I wouldn't even consider a king cab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Crew cab is my vote. My first Frontier was a king and my current one is crew. As written above, the versatility can’t be beat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Crew cab for sure. I would only get a king cab if it was just me and the wife. They are better for hauling dirt bikes

·
Registered
189 Posts
Crew cab with the long box. Not only the most practical and useful, the long box is the better looking. The 4-door truck's appearance is proper with the long box. The crew cab short box is stumpy and unbalanced looking.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
If you have kids, Crew cab and make sure you get a truck with Utilitrac. The ability to tie down things using the rails trumps the extra foot the long bed gives you. I'll take a 5' bed with Utilitrac over an 8' bed with just the 4 corner tie downs any day.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you want to really use the rear seats, get a Crew Cab with the 6-foot bed. The 5-foot bed is useless for my needs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
KC is all I would buy. 6 ft bed is bare minimum. But its just me and the wife.
But with kids its a different story.
If our kids were young I would not by a kc or cc. The 5 foot bed is worthless to us, rather have a suv and a utility trailer.

In the 90’s drove my family all over the east coast in kc Ranger with jump seats, pulling a popup, 2 dogs, 2 kids wife and a canoe. Don’t know how we did it or how the kids stood for it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Two kids 6 an 9 ride full time in KC back seats no problem, tried 4 adults one time but that was very cramped.I know I can't fit back there,but kids seem to love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3rd KC, first one with doors. No kids so have rarely ever used the seats...........that said - the doors suck - maybe open 90 degrees, why can't someone make a KC truck where the doors swing wider. almost makes the storage space useless. i actually thought is was easier to put stuff in and out of my old 2000 KC with no doors and the seats were actually more functional at least for 1 person. Agree with comments about bed size too, i would have a really hard time with a 5' bed! so when its time for a new ride it will be a tough choice - but we tend to use the cab more than the bed so will probably go with a CC and short bed.........

·
Registered
Great truck
1,020 Posts
I think the longer bed is a for sure on the way to go but I will always take a crew cab now that I have owned one. I grew up owning king cab / extended cabs and never once put anyone in the back till about 10 years back. I always had stuff back there so it was just a single cab with a storage area, to me.

but the crew cab, even with my kids being out of high school, I use it to carry groceries and the front wheel for my bicycle when I have to go to a ride somewhere and the bike is in the back. I carry all my cycling stuff in the back seat and am not a bit worried about anything being stolen or blowing out now. those back doors make it so easy to load / unload the stuff I put back there. way better than tilting a seat

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you are ever going to have other people in the vehicle... go with the crew cab.... my .02

·
Registered
756 Posts
Four regular doors would be nice in itself.
That's the main reason why I chose the crew cab even as a single person. I had trucks with suicide doors and it sucked. They require a lot of space to open. Whereas with the crew cab, I can easily reach over and crack open the rear door to grab something without having to walk around the door.

If you have kids, Crew cab and make sure you get a truck with Utilitrac. The ability to tie down things using the rails trumps the extra foot the long bed gives you. I'll take a 5' bed with Utilitrac over an 8' bed with just the 4 corner tie downs any day.
I installed airplane-style L-track in my F-250's 8-foot bed. Nothing that an afternoon and a hundred bucks can't take care of. I got a short bed Frontier, but that's because it was a unicorn of a pre-owned truck other than the bed.

That being said, I opt to get the largest cab even if it means sacrificing bed length. It's easier to add cargo management than make the cab bigger. I'd make an exception if I had to regularly haul long items that I needed to keep locked. It all depends on your individual needs. One of my friends flies giant-scale R/C airplanes and drives a regular cab 8' bed with a camper shell in order to keep them enclosed in the bed and not have a truck that is the length of a bus.

The 5 foot bed is worthless to us, rather have a suv and a utility trailer.
I occasionally get asked why I didn't get an SUV and a utility trailer, or just a large SUV. I have a 5' bed with a shell, which gives me roughly 60cf of cargo volume. It pretty much comes down to three points:
-Convenience. Lets face it, towing a trailer isn't always convenient, and deadheading with an empty trailer is cumbersome compared to an empty pickup bed.
-Cargo separation and access. I can haul oversize items with the tailgate down and still have the cab and tool box locked up at stops. I have a camper shell with a tool box and side access doors. I can't exactly cut a win-door in the side of a Suburban to reach cargo near the back seat.
-Price. Large SUVs are typically for people with deep pockets who want all the luxury features. I need to haul cargo, not people in leather seats with 3 climate control zones and 22 cup holders.

why can't someone make a KC truck where the doors swing wider.
The Ford F-150 and Super Duty extended cab suicide doors open 170 degrees. I think I'd still opt for forward-hinged doors though. You need the space to swing the front door open and the rear door 170 degrees. Not a problem if you're parked in the way back of a parking lot, but might be a problem in your garage. Whereas forward-hinged rear doors can be opened a sliver, independent of the front doors.

The market seems to be going to that trend. The Toyota Tundra Double Cab was the first extended cab to have forward-hinged doors, followed by Chevrolet and Ram.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
+ another one for Crew Cab Short Bed. Fairly easy to park and not the most horrible turning radius, though it wins no awards.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts