Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first post. This is a great site very informative. Anyways my question is what is the purpose of the piece of plastic under the passenger side rear seat. It doesnt seem to do anything but take up space and the driver side back seat doesnt have it. So before I yank it off I thought I'd ask you guys first
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
It's to help support the weight of a passenger(I think).

My driver's side has a storage bin that does the same thing. Does yours have something on the driver's side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,776 Posts
It's actually designed to lengthen the bottom of the seat to accomodate a child car seat! My baby is 21, so I pulled it off mine and put it on a shelf! If you do remove it, leave the hinge attached to the bottom of the seat, it's a stiff hinge so I folded the excess fabric under the hinge and pushed it snug against the bottom of the seat, it hasn't moved since I did this July of last year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
It's actually designed to lengthen the bottom of the seat to accomodate a child car seat! My baby is 21, so I pulled it off mine and put it on a shelf! If you do remove it, leave the hinge attached to the bottom of the seat, it's a stiff hinge so I folded the excess fabric under the hinge and pushed it snug against the bottom of the seat, it hasn't moved since I did this July of last year!
05_NISMO hit it right on the head. The plastic piece reinforces the seat for the baby carrier. I know. I've got a 5 month old that loves the Fronty. And with the fold down passenger seat, daddy can always see baby in the back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that was my first guess that it's to support someones weight but then I noticed that it doesnt even touch the floor so that couldn't be it.

Supporting a childs seat does make sense though. I can see it now. I never would of guessed I don't use car seats. That thing has been bugging me ever since I got the truck, kinda like a light switch that you don't know what it is for. So I guess it's comming off hopefully it's no big deal. Thanks for the replies I feel like Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
sinkobone said:
Actually that was my first guess that it's to support someones weight but then I noticed that it doesnt even touch the floor so that couldn't be it.

Supporting a childs seat does make sense though. I can see it now. I never would of guessed I don't use car seats. That thing has been bugging me ever since I got the truck, kinda like a light switch that you don't know what it is for. So I guess it's comming off hopefully it's no big deal. Thanks for the replies I feel like Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............


Mine touches the floor once you flip the legs down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,776 Posts
If you flip that plastic piece forward to extend the seat bottom, there are a couple of metal support legs that can be extended to help support the weight of a car seat. I had to laugh too, legs and back seat of the king cab really don't go together!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
been wondering about these things in the new truck, I guess I gotta hurry up reading through the book manual! but who does that when you just bought a new vehicle??? :twisted:
 

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
NISMO_R6 said:
been wondering about these things in the new truck, I guess I gotta hurry up reading through the book manual! but who does that when you just bought a new vehicle??? :twisted:
I've had my truck for just about 8 months now and still haven't read the manual!! I get way more info from here than I would the manual anyway!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I'm keeping them now. I was in the process of removing them when It swung open and saw that there really is legs in there and they do touch the ground. After playing around with them I just decided to keep them It is pretty useful if anything I can use it as a secret stash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
so if these things need extra legs to support a car seat........how are these seats supposed to support adults that ride in the back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think it supports the weight of the passenger it supports the the extension piece. and the extension supports the child seat. I don't use child seats so I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like if you dont use it 3/4 of the child seat will sit on the seat and the other 1/4 of it will just over hang the seat with nothing to sit on. The extension gives it somthing to rest on
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top