Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 tacoma prerunner double cab. I had a 2003 Frontier double cab back in 2003.. it was 2wd and a 5 speed V6. had it for about 1.5 years and it ran perfect. It was uncomfortable and the interior quality was poor to say the least.. The resale also on it was eh..

My tacoma is a good truck but it too is way too small for me.. ( Im 6 ft 275 lbs)

I love everything about the Frontier ( 2005+) Looks great, nice power, great engine, the frame, bed and lots of room and neat storage options..

so whats the problem?

Well, with the Tacoma, I know I will always have resale value, and its legendary for its reliability.. Fuel mileage is pretty good as well with the 3.4L V6

I dunno, I just don't get that " it will last for 250K miles without costing me something big feeling with the Nissan like I do with the Taco.

And its funny, the Frontier out does the Toyota in almost every area... Beefier frame, deeper and larger bed, MUCH more comfortable seats and larger cab. Seriously better looking as well..

Strange though that the rear seat in the Crew Cab while much larger than the Toyota, is not nearly as comfortable.. almost bolt upright that even my 8 year old noticed right away.

So what do you think? ( stipid question I know being this IS a Frontier forum..) Anyone have/ had both? and yes I know I'm comparing different generations of trucks but thats what I have and I hate the '05 Tacomas so I know I wont get one of those..)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Push!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Well I can tell you this: my first two Nissans went for 250K miles, and never needed anything (well, almost). I replaced a water pump and a clutch in my '96 Maxima, but that was it. My old Nissan D21 went for 250K on oil changes.

It's true, reliability isn't what it used to be. Keeping that in mind, I can't see a Tacoma as being any more reliable than the Frontier. In fact, I've even heard horror stories about the new Tacomas....but they both have their quirks.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
tacos arent all theyre cracked up to be. i had a 03 2.7 liter, it was all right, i guess. i test drove the v6 model and wasnt really impressed. for the value, the nissan is a better option. i thinks. just watch out for the timing chain in 05-07 if youre lookin for a used one. mines startin to make noise. other than that, its a good rig. aftermarket starting to pick up too, if thats your bag.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 2003 tacoma prerunner double cab. I had a 2003 Frontier double cab back in 2003.. it was 2wd and a 5 speed V6. had it for about 1.5 years and it ran perfect. It was uncomfortable and the interior quality was poor to say the least.. The resale also on it was eh..
I chose the Frontier over the Taco for all the exact reasons you mentioned (better looking, better performance metrics, cheaper, etc). I'm still very happy with my choice, but to your point about the interior quality...the hard gray plastic is still the same cheap junk. In fact, you have to take the seat belt off relatively carefully because if you just unlatch it and let it swing (what I had been used to doing in each of my previous cars), it will hit the door/pillar and create small permanent indentions in the plastic.

Its easily my biggest complaint and I spend a lot of time trying to think of an economical way to improve it. However, the other positives more than outweigh that in my mind. Just thought you should know that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Let me some it up for you. I did a lot of reserch and test driving before I bought my 2005 4X4. They will both have there issues, of about the same magnitude, but the Nissan is going to be cheeper, PLUS you said it your self, it looks much better.

So, to some it up.
1) It looks better
2) Very close, maybe identical in quality
3) It's cheaper (in cost)

There you go! Should I Google a Nissan dealer in your area? I will. It's not a problem, really.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
For what it's worth I'm, 6'2" 275 and I'm plenty comfortable in my CC. I've never had a Tacoma so I can't compare the two, but I do like the looks of the Frontier better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as the back seat goes, I took my family of four on a 1700 mile trip in my CC and I didn't hear any more complaints about the back seat than when I took them in my Ford Supercrew. One thing I did was turn the headrests in the back seat the opposite way from the way they were when I got it, seemed to give a bit more comfortable angle.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
if you get bigger tires, youre gonna hate it. not really. i have noticed that you cant use 6th gear as much with bigger tires, even marginally. still waitin on them gears people keep sayin is comin out, then i can go to 35's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, it was hard to pry me away from my tundra, had the first 2000 in texas, and was at 115,000 when huricane ike flooded it out... I have had a 2008 le since last September.... I miss the tundra because it was one of the best vehicles , I ever had , but so far the homework, I have done on the Frontier has borne out.... no problems, seating is great, very quiet, good mileage..no problems so far...If I had it to do over, I would still buy the Frontier..................

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i liked my frontier better than my tocoma,,but that being said,,v6 in the frontiers is weak link...a lot of poeple dont have problems,,but alot do.....its a crap shoot..not what i want to hear when im spending my money.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
the vq40 has its querks but so does the tacoma, i read on the internet that 05-07 tacomas had a throttle stick issue....yeah sounds safe. IMO the frontier looks better, has better options for the money, and is just an all out better truck. only way to see which one you want is to go test drive both and see what you like.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't know if you care about the bed or ever tow, but the Nissan is superior.
05+ Taco has a plastic composite bed.
05+ Taco still has rear Drum Brakes <-- uber lame!
05+ has less HP, about same MPG
smaller cab, shorter from top of cab to bottom
I don't like the huge waves going down the new bodies, doesn't look good. Like around the rear and front fenders, all plastic crap.

My dad's taco just broke 300k miles with just oil changes and a recent 1k fix on the manual tranny with 1st gear. That was the 1st gen with the 3.6 in it, not the 4.0.

They are each very good trucks, blow away the others in the class imo. Nissan is more bang for your buck, equal if not better quality. Look at the online reviews, Nissan 05+ 2nd gen is class leading.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
pretty much everyone here loves their frontiers, they wouldn't be on a site like this if they didn't. both tacos and frontys have their positives and negatives. go with your gut

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is this guy even still here? We have all made good points and hasn't commented. I think hes gone.

Yep, I'm still here and just letting everyone have their say.. I like to listen since it was me that asked the question!

All good points... one thing I noticed is that being on the internet, you tend to get a lot of concentrated information and that in and of itself can skew things/opinions in one direction and not always in the direction you want to hear.

Also, I have seen many reviews that go BOTH ways on a particular vehicle with opinions both massively positive and negative and I always seem to think the opposite! lol..

Drove a 06 Nismo king cab and a regular SE double cab.. today... Nice, A/C could have been better, transmissions shifted nicely and lots of power.

Found a really sweet truck White Nismo double cab sunroof, rockford fosgate, all the good stuff.. But its an '07 and it has 56K miles on it.. someone really liked driving it! They want 22K... I walked..

The nismo king cab I saw today, had 35K miles on it, silver nothing really extra and they wanted 12.5 for that one..

I really really really like the nismo double cab with the sunroof and that awesome RF stereo.... I just wish the '07 didn't have so many miles for being only 2 years old.. Yes it was a Nissan certified truck but the asking price in my opinion was way too high..

In the mean time, I still have my double cab TRD Toyota Tacoma 2003 with 41K miles on it

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
What do you mean in the title when you say you "need a push to go back to a Frontier"
You know we are all going to like the Frontier.
I would get the Frontier because of it's timeless good looks. In twenty years, I think the Frontier will look better than the Tacoma :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts