Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2013 nissan frontier last year and so far it has been great.

The Dealer only provided me with one set of Keys though. When I asked them recently how much it would cost for a new key and fob set they quoted me north of $200. Does anyone know where I could get another set for less than 200 dollars?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
You can buy either an uncut OEM key and remote fob off ebay or elsewhere, have it cut(ACE Hardware cut mine) then you'd need to take it in to get programmed at the stealership(usually about $50). I had bought a spare key and key fob, and had it programmed. If happy with that then you'd save a few bucks.

If you want to spend a few more bucks, get the spare key made and programmed, then buy an OEM Nissan Rogue key, gut the spare key transponder chip and swap into the Rogue key (look up the mod for this).

It will probably be close to the $200 this route but would save a few bucks by programming your remotes after swapping out the transponder chip, and the convenience of having one less thing to carry in your pocket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boomer, It sounds like 200 isnt as crazy as I thought.

I was just used to getting 5 spares made for 10 bucks for my old f-150s

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
If it includes the key, remote and programming for $200 that's great. Next time make them provide an extra set for the truck free.
Enjoy the truck and welcome to the forum.

Clint

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can buy either an uncut OEM key and remote fob off ebay or elsewhere, have it cut(ACE Hardware cut mine) then you'd need to take it in to get programmed at the stealership(usually about $50). I had bought a spare key and key fob, and had it programmed. If happy with that then you'd save a few bucks.

If you want to spend a few more bucks, get the spare key made and programmed, then buy an OEM Nissan Rogue key, gut the spare key transponder chip and swap into the Rogue key (look up the mod for this).

It will probably be close to the $200 this route but would save a few bucks by programming your remotes after swapping out the transponder chip, and the convenience of having one less thing to carry in your pocket.
Do you know if the lock and unlock fob that nissan makes besides the ones in our trucks work too. I like the key +fob system but the fb looks too cheap. I like the look of the others ones they have. Any idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I bought these and use them for my X. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Remot...ash=item19e44122f2:g:TOcAAOSwZ1lWcsd5&vxp=mtr The dealership cut and made sure these 2 keys and remotes worked along with the 2 stock sets and I think they did it all for under 100 dollars. I have used all 4 keys for over 6 months with no issues. Just make sure you bring all of them in or the original keys may not work after the new ones are programed.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Do you know if the lock and unlock fob that nissan makes besides the ones in our trucks work too. I like the key +fob system but the fb looks too cheap. I like the look of the others ones they have. Any idea.
I recall other users looking into the flip key but not sure if they made it work. Think if you have the right transponder and key, probably could.

Most members reported success buying non OEM as Truck It describes, while a few had reported them to be cheaply made......the OEM Rogue key met my needs and it's been working great for over a year.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I recall other users looking into the flip key but not sure if they made it work. Think if you have the right transponder and key, probably could.

Most members reported success buying non OEM as Truck It describes, while a few had reported them to be cheaply made......the OEM Rogue key met my needs and it's been working great for over a year.
i see, i don't want a flip key, just want to more stylish fob with the lock/unlock and panic button. /i am sure it would work.

Have an oil change this week, ill pick the brain of the service guy to see what he says

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a used 2013 nissan frontier last year and so far it has been great.

The Dealer only provided me with one set of Keys though. When I asked them recently how much it would cost for a new key and fob set they quoted me north of $200. Does anyone know where I could get another set for less than 200 dollars?

Thanks
Lowes will cut and program a new key for about $75. A new key fob is around $6 on EBay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts