Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 frontier le today. The guy I got it from gave me 3 keys and 2 fobs. Both fobs work. The key that looks worn works fine, both of the others turns the truck over but will not start the truck. What do y'all think is wrong with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
Welcome to the forum, congrats on the truck.
Third key may just be a door key.

Clint

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that. It has a black Nissan logo where the other two are chrome. But the other key that had a fob won't start it either. That key and fob looks like it has never been used.

·
Registered
801 Posts
They are probably for the door only. They may not be programmed like the factory ones. The original key is probably the worn out one. The other two are aftermarket, and don't have the key chip, or not programmed. If that makes sense. Take them to nissan to see if they have a chip in them , have them programmed and it should start.
The other thing is that they may only be for the glove box that locks. The valet key.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
My valet key locks/unlocks/starts everything (doors & tailgate, engine)...except it won't lock/unlock the lower glovebox.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
My valet key will unlock the doors, tailgate and glove box and will actually turn the ignition switch .... but not start the vehicle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
this is the key that works and both fobs work. The other fob was with this key but looks dingy so i swapped them. One key looks identical to this one and it had this fob with it. The last key has a little smaller plastic piece and Nissan looks stamped into the plastic, it's not chrome like this one in the picture. I think the black key is the valet key but I think the other lost programming.

I'll get pictures of the others when I get home

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here is all keys

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Key circled will not start the truck but turns it over. It appears to have never been used.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Key circled will not start the truck but turns it over. It appears to have never been used.

Chances are the previous owner had a spare key cut and not programmed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts