Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post some pics for those who are interested in putting in a Double DIN system. I have not seen many though the posts. I like the Kenwood, however, the iPod interface is weak. Actually the GUI is not that great in general. It does fit into the space perfectly and has connections for a nav. The other nice thing is that you can use the DVD while driving. Great for kids in the back (I dont watch it myself unless I am in LA's stop and go traffic). Only problem I have is that when it is cold I can hear one of the motors spinning real loud. Once it warms up it goes away. I will probably have it looked at by the place I had install it. Here are those pics. Enjoy:

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thats the first HU that has made me want to replace my stock stereo.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That looks real good. What don't you like about the iPod interface? I want to replace my stock stereo soon and one of the main reasons is to hook up my iPod. I've been looking at the new Alpines that claim to be much faster iPod hook up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to double check on the model number. I think it is the 05 model becuase the new head units have a slightly differnt look with the buttons on the bottom and a slightly larger screen.

The iPod interface makes you essentially but everything into playlists to simulate a Multi CD Changer. You can see the names of the songs but that is it. I have about 2k songs on my iPod and it would take a good hour or two to scroll through them all since you cant search by artist or album. You can only go up and down between playlists like you would different cd's. Plus the interface looks like a 1995 windows PC screen. It isint and nice as it should be given software today. If you put a CD/DVD with images on it, it isnt too bad since you can set it to display the picture and get small touchscreen buttons across the bottom. If I had to do it again I would probably go with the Eclipse or Pioneer since both of those have built in Navigation. Only problem is no DVD when the car is moving!

·
Registered
690 Posts
you can take care of the "no dvd while the car is moving" thing w/o a problem. I'll have a "how to" tomorrow night. I can't remember off the top of my head but I have done it before.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Are you taling about the e-brake wire that you don't have to connect?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kenwood iPod interface is weak

I have the KDC-X789 exceleon deck you can only have like 100 songs a playlist and other restricting features definitely needs perfecting.

·
Registered
690 Posts
some you have to ground others you "forget" to connect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks great! I purchased an alpine iva-w200 and now seeing this is making the wait so much longer! April 12 can't come any faster. DID you install any speakers or subs?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No speakers or subs yet. I will probably put some compents in the front (Alpine or Infinity) with some 6 1/2's in the rear and may a powered 6 1/2 bazooka under the back seat for a little punch. My wife wont let me do it just yet as we are planning a family trip to Thailand :( but as soon as the summer is over I'm on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts