Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I'm new here as you can tell but I have a question for you guys. I have a 2003 Crew Cab 4x4 5spd manual truck with 93k on the clock which I have owned for 4 years in that time I have installed dick cepek rims 31x10.50 A/T tires, smoke tail lights, and 3rd brake light, tinted windows, Put in a Red top optima battery, Installed a K&N cold air Intake system, An Air Raid throttle body spacer and a Flow master muffler, pulled off the nasty running boards.

I have also flushed all the fluids per manual, performed tune up, just got done installing the Nissan OEM water pump belt tensioner and belt and have run only mobil 1 Syn each 3k miles. I have absolutly had no problems out of the truck besides the air conditioner and I replaced the pump and no problems since.

I have been looking hard at the 2005-2010 frontiers and I really really like everything about them they have the more rear leg room which I like and the 6spd 4.0 is great I drove one yesterday:)

How is the new engine? Is the timing chain config a better option? what concerns are they with it the new motor? Longevity wise is it better to keep my 3.3l or go 20k+ more in debt for the 2nd gen? I guess what Im asking is I think I have a truck in which will run a long time and have spent alot on it but I love some things about the new truck. Please give opinions on what you guys think I know you guys own both of these types.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
My .02 is to not go into debt. As far as timing chain issues, I am not sure about the 1st gens, but my 06 with 59400 miles on it, is currently at the dealership getting the timing chain and guides replaced.

I am sure if you search the subject here, some people have had issues with timing chains, others have not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, wow under 60k and replacing guess the 4.0 is a non interference engine(the motor doesn't get trashed when the chain breaks)?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Dont know about that, mine didnt break, the mechanic heard the chain noise and suggested it be replaced while I was still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
you can get a 2nd gen for around 15k, and with the trade in value around ten.
i think its a smart move. but you already have a nice truck with no monthly payment, and you rarely sit in the back seat. so you shouldnt care about the leg room back there.

either way you win.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an 03 frontier with the 3.3 and no have an X with the 4.0; the vq40 alone is such a marvel and would lead me to swap again, any day of the week.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Unless you need the extra power, going into debt to get a 2nd gen isn't worth it. I would just keep what you have and run it till it dies. Only bad part is that you will need to do a timing belt soon (at 100 or 105k).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Keep the first gen. No sense in going into debt. The first gens. are bulletproof and yours has been taken care of, I'd hold onto it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I vote keep the first gen. The main reason I bought my 2nd gen was because of the positive reviews I got from owners of 1st gens. Living without a car payment makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with the rest. No sense making car payments.

I unfortunately decided I would like to make more payments after I payed off my first gen. Now would I do it again??? Hell Yeah!! I love the 4.0. I went from an extended cab 01 to a crew cab 06 nismo.

I like almost everything about the truck. More room, more power, more MPG (slight increase) and I put an awesome ARE cap on it. Oh another thing that I noticed is better a aftermarket.

What I don't like about it... at 7 months of ownership I had all kinds of problems (TPMS, IPDM, evap. canister (first day of ownership) and a few other little things. On top of this is the fear of roasting my tranny because of a stupid radiator flaw (hopefully bypass this weekend).

The first gen was bulletproof... 7 years of service and never gave me a problem.

Anyway I'm happy with my choice.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
while i truly love my 2nd gen fronty, i miss my 1st gen xterra. it was paid off and never gave me a single problem (i traded it in with almost 90k). as much as you would love a new truck, take a look at your finances and decide how much better that money would be invested for your future retirement rather than a new truck that you really don't need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Unless you need the extra power, going into debt to get a 2nd gen isn't worth it. I would just keep what you have and run it till it dies. Only bad part is that you will need to do a timing belt soon (at 100 or 105k).
Did the timing belt at 89k to be safe!

keep first gen and SAS it, DD a 2nd gen!!!!!!
sorry man I dont know what SAS stands for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is your current truck paid off?

Any mods to the Z?
Current truck is hella close to being paid off only owe about 5 months on it.

The Z has alot done to it lol Rims,JDM Tails,Short Throw,Top mounted BOVs,Strip and street light weight clutch and flywheel,Intake,LEE BREE Catback, Megan Racing Down Pipes and Test Pipes,and alot more that I cant think of I spend alot of money at Z1 in GA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys I made an appointment with the Nissan place to sit down and custom order a new frontier b/c they dont carry many 6spds but I wanted to come on here to see if you guys could talk me out of it before friday lol. Still not sure if I am going to cancel the appnt or not, o decisions decisions:comphead:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I traded my 99 for a 2010 and I have mixed feelings. The good is more room and the opening rear doors on the king cab. The bad is the turning radius on the 2nd gen's. I swear it is worse than the full size GMC I used to have, which had an 8 foot bed. Overall, I still miss my 1st gen king cab. I fit had only had the rear doors for the space behind the seats, I would have kept it forever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I traded my 99 for a 2010 and I have mixed feelings. The good is more room and the opening rear doors on the king cab. The bad is the turning radius on the 2nd gen's. I swear it is worse than the full size GMC I used to have, which had an 8 foot bed. Overall, I still miss my 1st gen king cab. I fit had only had the rear doors for the space behind the seats, I would have kept it forever.
Wonder why the turning radius is so bad... My 31s rub the mud flaps a little on my 1st Gen so I gotta watch my turns a little myself and that after raising my torsion bars...The only lift I can find worth having for a 1st gen is the Rancho 2.5''. While the 2nd gens get all kinds of lifts and I dont know why.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks guys I made an appointment with the Nissan place to sit down and custom order a new frontier b/c they dont carry many 6spds but I wanted to come on here to see if you guys could talk me out of it before friday lol. Still not sure if I am going to cancel the appnt or not, o decisions decisions:comphead:
You're better off finding one at a dealer...your dealer can do a search for one, or you can scour autotrader like I did and find one. They are offering crazy deals right now. I won't get into specifics but I paid under invoice BEFORE the $2000 rebate. I also got some really incredible financing (but I have super good credit so this may not apply). Do your research (edmunds.com TMV is pretty sweet) and you can get a good deal right now before the 11's come out. They just extended the rebate until the end of the month too. Buying at the end of the month can be helpful as well. The only reason I got the truck so cheap was that they needed to sell one more new car to get a bonus from Nissan.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts