Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '10 KC Pro-4x 6spd for 3 years, has 97,000 kilometers and is in nice condition overall. Been wanting something that seats four adults, first thought is a CC Pro-4x. Thing is, it's only available with an automatic in Canada. I'm considering it because my girlfriend isn't very confident driving a manual and we only need the one vehicle.

I rarely see complaints about the auto here or in reviews so I'm assuming it's well sorted. That said what's everyone's opinion of it? Especially interested in hearing from others who live in mountainous regions. Will I be annoyed by the AT or does it perform good enough that I won't miss my 6spd much?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The RE5 is a very good automatic transmission, overall. The shame is the biggest problem they've had is not because of the transmission, itself, but because of the coolant cross-contamination issues Nissan has caused by the radiators. The biggest problem that occasionally surfaces on some of the RE5's is that one of the pins in the TCM will break, which can be resoldered if someone knows what they are doing, or, the valve body/TCM assembly can be replaced.
The transmission works well under a variety of conditions although I've never had to tow anything substantial in the mountains with one. Perhaps someone here can give you more feedback on that?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
now that is really weird. You can still get a KC 6 speed and we can't while we can get a Crew Cab 6MT on a pro 4X. What is Nissan thinking?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I have owned both- a 07 SE CCSB 6MT which I sold and got a 08 LE CCLB AT because I needed a longer bed. The auto is not bad at all. I drive it through the mountains of Arkansas and Tennessee no problem. Fuel efficiency from the first truck to the second was noticeably lower, on average. I ended up selling it and now I have a 07 SE CCSB 6MT, which I wish I'd have bought in the first place. I only had it a couple years. The auto is nice (just not for me) and you'll probably really like the pro-4x.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RE5 is a very good automatic transmission, overall. The shame is the biggest problem they've had is not because of the transmission, itself, but because of the coolant cross-contamination issues Nissan has caused by the radiators. The biggest problem that occasionally surfaces on some of the RE5's is that one of the pins in the TCM will break, which can be resoldered if someone knows what they are doing, or, the valve body/TCM assembly can be replaced.
The transmission works well under a variety of conditions although I've never had to tow anything substantial in the mountains with one. Perhaps someone here can give you more feedback on that?
Good info, thanks!

now that is really weird. You can still get a KC 6 speed and we can't while we can get a Crew Cab 6MT on a pro 4X. What is Nissan thinking?
Not sure, Toyota does the same with the TRD OR. We get a bunch of different models and trims up here from pretty much every brand.

I have owned both- a 07 SE CCSB 6MT which I sold and got a 08 LE CCLB AT because I needed a longer bed. The auto is not bad at all. I drive it through the mountains of Arkansas and Tennessee no problem. Fuel efficiency from the first truck to the second was noticeably lower, on average. I ended up selling it and now I have a 07 SE CCSB 6MT, which I wish I'd have bought in the first place. I only had it a couple years. The auto is nice (just not for me) and you'll probably really like the pro-4x.
Thanks for the feedback!

The fuel economy is something I've been thinking about. The CC/Auto/Roof rack make these trucks really thirsty. Sucks to lose a bunch of range and if fuel prices take off in 5 years I'll have a $35k paper weight, currently $1.32/l ($5/gal).

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
If you go with a short bed it may not be too bad. I averaged 21mpg in the first truck (with 7" suspension and 2" body lift and 34s even) but was more like 16-17 in the LE (3" suspension + 2" body lift and 33s) . Right now I'm getting 18-19 (3" suspension + 33s) in this one but I am having timing issues and also need to do a tune-up and alignment then I think that will improve some.

·
Super Moderator
11,528 Posts
Since they no longer will build me another long bed crew cab in a 6 speed I had to buy the auto version this time, I REGRET IT EVERY DAY!
Driving a stick in the snow was far better than the auto. If you are a real manual guy, think real long and hard before doing it, you’re considering your girlfriend, I wouldn’t give mine up because my wife couldn’t drive it. She could if she really wanted to learn as my kids all “got it” in a couple of hours on the first day. My daughter can drive a manual very well even though she doesn’t want to own one.
I already had one short bed crew cab and was far too useless for my needs or I’d have bought one of them as I’m not going to pull my trailer on a daily basis for extra space.
Can you rent one for a week to try?

Clint

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since they no longer will build me another long bed crew cab in a 6 speed I had to buy the auto version this time, I REGRET IT EVERY DAY!
Driving a stick in the snow was far better than the auto. If you are a real manual guy, think real long and hard before doing it, you?re considering your girlfriend, I wouldn?t give mine up because my wife couldn?t drive it. She could if she really wanted to learn as my kids all ?got it? in a couple of hours on the first day. My daughter can drive a manual very well even though she doesn?t want to own one.
I already had one short bed crew cab and was far too useless for my needs or I?d have bought one of them as I?m not going to pull my trailer on a daily basis for extra space.
Can you rent one for a week to try?

Clint
She is capable of driving a manual but is not an enthusiast, she just wants to get where she needs to go. Seating four adults occasionally is my main goal. I too have no use for a 5ft bed so I have been thinking a used 6spd Pro-4x Xterra might do the trick. Atleast I can fold the seats down and have 6ft +/- to haul stuff and sleep occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
11,528 Posts
She is capable of driving a manual but is not an enthusiast, she just wants to get where she needs to go. Seating four adults occasionally is my main goal. I too have no use for a 5ft bed so I have been thinking a used 6spd Pro-4x Xterra might do the trick. Atleast I can fold the seats down and have 6ft +/- to haul stuff and sleep occasionally.
Interesting how once quoted all those question marks appear in the text box.
You’re far kinder than I am m, I’m married 25 years and my wife doesn’t enter the equation in my transmission selection.
I need a pickup truck so I can’t go to an alternate like the Xterra.
I do have a new Jeep just to have a six speed.

Clint

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would go with the 6spd pro 4x Xterra over the CC auto frontier. I test drove several auto frontiers before I came across my 13 pro4x KC 6 spd. It was like finding a unicorn. I also drove a few older pathfinders which have the same drivetrain. As others have said, it?s not bad. However, it?s a forgettable driving experience compared to the manual.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
We manual transmission folks are passionate.

I would go with the 6spd pro 4x Xterra over the CC auto frontier. I test drove several auto frontiers before I came across my 13 pro4x KC 6 spd. It was like finding a unicorn. I also drove a few older pathfinders which have the same drivetrain. As others have said, it's not bad. However, it's a forgettable driving experience compared to the manual.
I trust the good folks here at CF that say the 5-sp auto trans is a good one. Less than 1% of the time I wish I had one.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting how once quoted all those question marks appear in the text box.
You?re far kinder than I am m, I?m married 25 years and my wife doesn?t enter the equation in my transmission selection.
I need a pickup truck so I can?t go to an alternate like the Xterra.
I do have a new Jeep just to have a six speed.

Clint
No idea on the question marks haha. The 5ft bed and auto are pretty big compromises on my idea of what a truck should be. Still worth a test drive but I'm leaning towards "nope".

I would go with the 6spd pro 4x Xterra over the CC auto frontier. I test drove several auto frontiers before I came across my 13 pro4x KC 6 spd. It was like finding a unicorn. I also drove a few older pathfinders which have the same drivetrain. As others have said, it?s not bad. However, it?s a forgettable driving experience compared to the manual.
An Xterra Pro-4x 6spd would work well for us. A low km '13-'15 6spd Pro-4x Xterra goes for $30-$36k around here. Is what has me considering a brand new CC Auto Pro-4x ($34-$36k). My previous truck (4.0L Auto Tacoma 4x4) was really boring, hated the lazy throttle response and shift "logic", I experienced lots of other issues which drove me away from Toyota 4x4's all together.

We manual transmission folks are passionate.

I would go with the 6spd pro 4x Xterra over the CC auto frontier. I test drove several auto frontiers before I came across my 13 pro4x KC 6 spd. It was like finding a unicorn. I also drove a few older pathfinders which have the same drivetrain. As others have said, it's not bad. However, it's a forgettable driving experience compared to the manual.
I trust the good folks here at CF that say the 5-sp auto trans is a good one. Less than 1% of the time I wish I had one.
I've heard pretty much all positives aside from the 05-10 cross contamination issue. Won't know until I drive one I guess!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I love the control of M/Ts, but as time wears on I find the A/T to be more user friendly. I have had ZERO issues with my A/T, very pleased with its performance as well. I'm at 5 years 43Kmi. I went A/T in my new Jeep JK Too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As a huge manual supporter, I went with the auto in mine. The manuals were hard to find pre-owned, and didn't come with the "luxury package". To me it actually feels like a typical automatic. Not a ton of gear hunting, and only 5 speeds so its not constantly shifting. I can't speak to its long term reliability. Its easy enough to shift it to let it hold a gear also (od off/3rd/2nd). I drive in traffic during my commute so its terrific. If I had some mountainous drive or back country commute you can bet it'd be stick.

On the topic of bed size, I do wish my p4x had the longer bed. but live and learn.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would not own a sports car with an automatic. A Corvette with an auto is a crime against humanly which is at my 2014 has a manual. But the truck? That's an automatic all the way and I wouldn't even consider a manual. Bumper to bumper getting out of Minneapolis in the afternoon in a manual? Nope. Ditto with towing my snowmobile trailer - 16 foot enclosed at about #2500 - #2600.

Gas mileage? I think how you drive makes a lot more difference than which transmission you have. I take the back roads a lot once out of the city so its lower speeds - 60ish MPH- and in summer I get 20 to 21 mpg in the summer but that drops to 18 to 19 once we switch over to winter blend gas, that's on my 84 mile daily round trip. There seems to be a noticabl4 drop off above 70 mph. Its my experience talking to friends with other brands and models of truck that they aren't getting much if any better. So, it's a truck and the mpg's just come with the territory

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Everything I own and drive is a manual. Truck, Car, Motorcycles. Been driving manuals since I was 14. Took my drivers test in one. I find that I enjoy driving autos more as I get older. Sure the hunting for gears bugs me, but you can manually shift. What really drive me nuts is when I want to stay in gear but give it some gas and it kicks down a gear; under high torque, this can be quite a thunk. What I really do like is when I need instant speed and simply mash on the gas, and the car drops 2 gears and takes off. Don't even need to get up from my gangster lean reclined position to work the clutch and stick. Also hard 4 wheelin is so much easier to do in an auto.

Wife's and our spare car (not one of mine) are autos. I have been driving our spare (2004 V8 Ford Explorer Limited) alot this summer. Much easier to haul kids around in, than my 2 doors. I hardly drive my truck in the summer. Loaned out the Ex to my mother in law for the winter, too cold to ride a moto, and the car has a flat so today I drove the Frontier. I did enjoy rowing the gears, heel toe rev matching my down shifts, and I might even do a 2 or 3 gear double clutch downshift to pass some joker doing 10 under the speed limit on the way home.

Though I kind of agree that a sports car should be manual, if you are truly trying to go fast in a high HP car, paddle shifting can not be beat.

Bottom line is that my next truck (not sure when that will ever happen) will be an auto.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the control of M/Ts, but as time wears on I find the A/T to be more user friendly. I have had ZERO issues with my A/T, very pleased with its performance as well. I'm at 5 years 43Kmi. I went A/T in my new Jeep JK Too.
Nice to hear.

As a huge manual supporter, I went with the auto in mine. The manuals were hard to find pre-owned, and didn't come with the "luxury package". To me it actually feels like a typical automatic. Not a ton of gear hunting, and only 5 speeds so its not constantly shifting. I can't speak to its long term reliability. Its easy enough to shift it to let it hold a gear also (od off/3rd/2nd). I drive in traffic during my commute so its terrific. If I had some mountainous drive or back country commute you can bet it'd be stick.

On the topic of bed size, I do wish my p4x had the longer bed. but live and learn.
Glad it's just a regular automatic, 5 gears is fine by me. The console shifter is another plus for decending mountains, my auto Tacoma was manually shifted a lot! Nice to have the shifter in a familiar spot.

I would not own a sports car with an automatic. A Corvette with an auto is a crime against humanly which is at my 2014 has a manual. But the truck? That's an automatic all the way and I wouldn't even consider a manual. Bumper to bumper getting out of Minneapolis in the afternoon in a manual? Nope. Ditto with towing my snowmobile trailer - 16 foot enclosed at about #2500 - #2600.

Gas mileage? I think how you drive makes a lot more difference than which transmission you have. I take the back roads a lot once out of the city so its lower speeds - 60ish MPH- and in summer I get 20 to 21 mpg in the summer but that drops to 18 to 19 once we switch over to winter blend gas, that's on my 84 mile daily round trip. There seems to be a noticabl4 drop off above 70 mph. Its my experience talking to friends with other brands and models of truck that they aren't getting much if any better. So, it's a truck and the mpg's just come with the territory
In a sports car a manual is a must for me as well. I'm honestly not bothered by traffic or towing with my 6spd. Only concern with fuel economy is range, I guess I could use the dinky bed to carry fuel on long offroad trips haha.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can manually shift an Auto you can't automatically shift a manual. You will eventually need to replace the clutch, you may never need to replace the A/T. If you have to pay a Mechanic to replace the clutch its gona cost nearly as much as the step up to an A/T.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
< Yawn-o-matic >

1 - 20 of 23 Posts