Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got any Kayakers on here? I'm in the market, now that i'm done with my mountain bike. My budget is somewhat low (no more than $500). Need help picking out the best i can get for that price. I don't think im ready for the river yet. Just calm waters or the ocean/bay. Someone recommended cobras?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ya what are you looking to do? fish? tot around? camping? thats pretty important. 2 seater? i work at the sports chalet. and we sell alot of them and i just went yesterday. i love it. also are you looking for a sit in or sit ontop?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if your just starting find some place that rents them. you can usually buy there old ones dirt cheap. thats how a friend of mine started out. he now runs a tour business and buys his that way.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I own a Cobra Tandem; use it all the time in the bay and ocean here in San Diego. It is a really great all around kayak and can be outfitted with fishing rod holders and various other equipment.

No matter what you are looking to use your Kayak for Cobra will have one for you. I HIGHLY recommend them, very reasonably priced, great quality, plenty of add-ons available, and durable.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer all of your questions.
1. Calm water (as in no waves of any sort)
2. Paddling
3. Not sure about sit in or on top. I'd prefer in but those cost more $
4. 1 seater
But, as i progress, i hope to be using it in the bay/near the ocean shores, just to ride the waves. I'm not sure if they make kayaks that are built for calm waters and small ocean waves. I would imagine, if you were to buy a ocean/sea kayak, you could use it on a lake too...

Thanks, TbOne, all around kayak is what im looking for.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
If you are considering doing any wave running then I recommend you use a short sit on top (SOT).

There really isn't one kayak that will do everything. Of course that is merely my opinion. Most serious paddlers I know have a couple of different kayaks for what type of water they want to be in and what they want to be able to do once they get there.

The best thing is to decide just what activities you want to do and go from there. If you are "new" to the sport, I would follow previous recommendations and rent/borrow one to see how you like it.

Once you have narrowed it down, then keep your eyes open for one on craigslist.

I enjoy the sport a lot, but do mostly open ocean, some fishing, and surf play. The water is always warm here, and we use our boats year round so it's worth a bigger investment in equipment. It is also very easy for me because I can be out in water in just a few minutes.

Hope you find what you want, and get a boat load of enjoyment out of your kayak.

·
Registered
104 Posts
TBone ... that is an awesome kayak... i too am shopping for one and i think that will fit the bill just nicely.

I know its tandem but do you have any problems paddling solo with it?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Short sit-on-top is what i've been shopping for. I'd be using it mostly on calm water (lakes, lagoons, bay). But would like to occasionally take it out into the ocean. River kayaks will have to come later, since they are not in my budget + I'm not ready for any type of class water...well probably 1. Is there any other good name brand kayaks, besides cobras?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I have a couple ocean kayak scupper pro's, love them. If you are going to use them for paddling, go for long. Surfing and white water use short yaks. Of corse there is nothing more exciting than being pole vaulted onto the beach by a 14.5' kayak loaded with freediving gear and dead fishes:laugh:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, not the real short ones. The ones that are around 7ft long. When i say short, i mean medium, lol.

What else do i need to do on my bike...lol. Spent well over $300 on modifying the bike...and much of those parts i got a really good deal on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
just a little bit of my knowledge here. I just got done kayaking in a sit in and i didnt like it all that much. for one thing, if you flip for some reason (it will happen) you have to drag it ashore and dump out the water before you can get back in. to me the on top yaks are better. you can just jump back on them when they flip and loose little time. plus i didnt feel as comfortable (i was in a lake with lots of boats so there were some decent waves) it would rock back and forth and i had a few close calls with flipping over in the sit in. would have been a long swim back.

thats about as much as i can give ya.

good luck! its loads of fun!

Aaron

post some pics when you get it !

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thinking about buying the Cobra Escape in storm grey. Crossing my fingers on shipping. Don't want to pay more than $100.

2009 Cobra Escape Kayak

Sweet, just found out i could kayak the river 5 miles from my house, rather than driving to a lagoon. The bay is less than a mile away but, the scenery sucks.

Found another Kayak i liked. Shipped is about $440 Manatee Deluxe Solo Kayak: Recreational - Sit-In at L.L.Bean

Alrighty, update. So i went to my local outdoor sports store and the salesman hooked me up with either a 10' or 12' boat. He said i can get a 10' recreational paddle kayak for $400 or a 12' for $550. A 12' kayak has it's pros and cons, but when it comes to transporting, the 10' would be a lot more convenient. Next month, sometime mid august, i'm getting myself a 10' Vapor for $400+tax=$440. Paddle I'm looking at is $60 + a Life Jacket if even need one, which i doubt, cuz i won't be hitting up anything more than a class 2.

Thanks, and good luck to the people who are in the market of buying a KAYAK.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

My new kayak. Bought from a guy who won it. He never used it, and i got it for $450. Retail is $849? Saw at a local store for $659 on sale.

It's a Heritage FeatherLite 12' Kayak.
I'm getting a spray skirt, so i could use this out on the ocean. ($60)
Getting a Magic Paddle for ($60)
Total=$570
Thinking about buying some fishing components for the boat, and start fishing in the ocean.

Edit: Thinking about buying a roof rack for the camper shell. Any thoughts? I saw a kit from Thule. Don't want to spend more than $200.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a 10' sit in kayak that I use in the river/at the beach. If you're new to kayaking and plan on going out in the ocean, definitely go with a sit on top sealed polyethylene kayak. Much safer and easier to recover from in the ocean. You can remount the kayak off shore by yourself without having to drain it. Something not possible(or extremely difficult) with a sit in. Sit in's require some pool practice time to learn the 'eskimo roll' for righting a capsize without breaking the skirt and slipping out(and subsequently filling your kayak with water).

Sit on top ocean(v-bottom) kayaks typically track better, are faster and better suited for cutting/surfing waves, but they are more difficult to turn and less maneuverable. Sit in rec./river (round/flat bottom) kayaks are easier to turn and maneuver but don't track as well, expect constant course corrections, especially in waves/choppy water which slows overall speed.

As for picking one up, Costco has a polyethylene tandem sit on top kayak with enough room for a good sized ice chest/dog/gear/whatever for $450. Could easily fish off it or go for a day long coast run on it. I'm thinking of getting one myself, just a matter of finding a place to put it. If I'm not mistaken it comes with at least some cheap paddles and possibly jackets. If not Sport Chalet had a sale going for some decent JetPilot jackets for $20 (50% off) and some nice 230cm paddles for ~$50. Kayaking's tons of fun and a great workout. Good luck.

EDIT: Doh, didnt read the second page. Congrats dude, that's a nice one!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts