Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for help here. I saw a few of you here installed the Katana LED 9007s with no problems and said they were great. I’m having a hard time installing them. I can only get the white locking ring to lock in place one way, and the light that comes out makes me think of how the old generation LED bulbs looked. Absolutely horrible. Dim, flood light. Not yet saying the Katanas are bad, I just need help getting them seated properly. FWIW I had a hard time getting halogens seated as well, but they went in. Frustrating.

I got the white collar over the bulb via Katanas instructions. But when I go to seat the bulb on the actual headlamp assembly, it just won’t “sit” at all. I’ve chewed up a bit of plastic on the bulb base trying to get these to sit right, so now I don’t even know if they will anyways.

Hoping someone with the Katana Minis will chime in or anyone who thinks they can help for that matter. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2020 Frontier King Cab SV 4x4
168 Posts
I installed the minis but didn’t have the problem you are mentioning.

I do recall them being snug, and aligning them took some fiddling.

Sorry I don’t have any sage advice for you. Hope you get it sorted. They really are so much better than OEM.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I do recall them being snug, and aligning the to some fiddling.

Sorry I don’t have any sage advice for you. Hope you get it sorted. They really are so much better than OEM.
Dang. Thanks for replying. Going to try tomorrow when it’s light out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have the minis as well, but the only difficult part was installing the passenger side with the battery in the way. Just make sure you install them in the correct orientation — the diodes should be vertical with the most forward one on top.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,387 Posts

I do recall them being snug, and aligning the to some fiddling.

Put a light coat of some lubricant on the Katana o-rings, then try to seat the bulbs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Put a light coat of some lubricant on the Katana o-rings, then try to seat the bulbs.
Go out and purchase a small bottle, (or tube), of generic KY Jelly WATER BASED lubricant from your local CVS, Rite-Aid, Walmart or Walgreen's. Place a dab on the o-ring or hose that you are installing. The water based lubricant will help it to slide right on in without having to wrestle it in place.

It's an old mechanic's trick used to put on "difficult" hoses....see attached link...

PS:
Get your minds out of the gutter!!!😲😲😲🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4x AT
225 Posts
I struggled with the install on mine about a month ago. It doesn’t help I’ve never had to replace bulbs before. After I wrestled mine for a bit and even tried lube, I realized they seat easier than I thought and I was overthinking it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I struggled with the install on mine about a month ago. It doesn’t help I’ve never had to replace bulbs before. After I wrestled mine for a bit and even tried lube, I realized they seat easier than I thought and I was overthinking it.
Huh. When everyone is saying that the bulbs seat in, do they ever get to the point where they can stay in without the locking ring? Obviously still use the locking ring but somethings not sitting right with mine. I put my halogen back in and the collar went right in no problem.

Did anyone have to make the c cut in the locking ring? Maybe that’s what I’m missing. Idk. Just thinking out loud here. Going to try them again in about an hour. Appreciate everyone’s input. 👍

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4x AT
225 Posts
Huh. When everyone is saying that the bulbs seat in, do they ever get to the point where they can stay in without the locking ring? Obviously still use the locking ring but somethings not sitting right with mine. I put my halogen back in and the collar went right in no problem.

Did anyone have to make the c cut in the locking ring? Maybe that’s what I’m missing. Idk. Just thinking out loud here. Going to try them again in about an hour. Appreciate everyone’s input. 👍
I didn’t HAVE to make the cut, it just makes it easier to get it seated because otherwise the wiring forces that locking ring forward which is what I was really struggling with when getting the light seated. The katanas, for me, didn’t seat as tight as the stock halogens without the locking ring, but it does still seat in the socket.

Reactions: Frunteer

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you everybody. I looked at raines Katana write up one more time, and there was something that stuck out. When you take part of the bulbs base off to put the white locking collar on, the removable part of the katana bulb base (mounting ring) has to be put back on in a way that matches the way the halogen bulb is. I also used the other bulb instead of the one I was trying last night so maybe I have a dud bulb but I doubt it. They feel nicely made. I’ll know when I go to put the other bulb on but for now, I left one halogen bulb in to compare.

First impression (during the daytime) looking into the reflector, the top and bottom of the reflector housing don’t light up well or at all. The halogen lights up the entire reflector bowl evenly. Anyways, now I wait till dark to test.

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,387 Posts

Yes the bulbs will seat and stay in place (while you are parked and if you're not moving the headlight harness) without the locking ring. If you can't get them to seat now, you need to put a light coat of lube on the bulb o-ring, then try seating it.
On older LED bulbs, you had to cut that locking collar in order to get it behind the bulb- but the LED bulbs were redesigned so that isn't necessary anymore. The bulb where the battery is - is a real struggle to get in unless you move the battery. Those locking collars are hard to find - don't cut yours.
Most headlight bulb o-rings come pre-lubed. If the bulbs have been on the shelf a while (or weren't lubed), the o-rings may be too dry to slide fully into the headlight housing.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Thank you everybody. I looked at raines Katana write up one more time, and there was something that stuck out. When you take part of the bulbs base off to put the white locking collar on, it has to be put back on in a way that matches the way the halogen bulb is.
I don't recall ever saying this (?)

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
...but it says "mounting ring"... so yeah, maybe you did word it wrong.

My reply was because you said "white locking collar" in your previous post, and the only white locking collar I refer to is the one that holds the bulb into the headlamp assembly, on the headlamp itself:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I used the word “it” when I should’ve been more specific, especially for future people who may run into this situation. I just edited the post to clarify. Thanks for your write ups btw, they’ve helped in the past and helped again today. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Yep, I used the word “it” when I should’ve been more specific, especially for future people who may run into this situation. I just edited the post to clarify. Thanks for your write ups btw, they’ve helped in the past and helped again today. Good stuff.
Understood. Hopefully you figure it out (y)

FYI don't bother looking into/at the headlamp to compare, what matters is the actual light output ahead, not the brightness or coverage inside the housing. Wait until evening and find yourself a nice, flat wall and park about 25 feet away from it (perpendicular), then you can really make a comparison.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I installed the Katana Minis tonight and a set of the Katana fog lights. After reading this thread I was expecting to have issues seating the headlight bulbs. They actually installed faster than the fog lights. I didn’t have any issue getting them to seat or installing the retaining ring.

The fog lights didn’t go so smoothly. The bulb on the passenger side would not illuminate. The pins in the socket must be smaller than the factory bulb. To fix the issue I bent the pins on the new bulb outward just a bit so they would make connection inside the connector on the wiring harness.

Reactions: PNWMTB

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I installed the Katana Minis tonight and a set of the Katana fog lights. After reading this thread I was expecting to have issues seating the headlight bulbs. They actually installed faster than the fog lights. I didn’t have any issue getting them to seat or installing the retaining ring.

The fog lights didn’t go so smoothly. The bulb on the passenger side would not illuminate. The pins in the socket must be smaller than the factory bulb. To fix the issue I bent the pins on the new bulb outward just a bit so they would make connection inside the connector on the wiring harness.
Glad it worked out. It really isn’t hard I was just being dumb. Once I realized what I was doing wrong it was fine.

Let us know how you like the Katana Minis. My first impressions aren’t the best. The beam has dark spots that make the low beam choppy and not great. The high beam is actually surprisingly smooth and consistent, but not as bright as I expected. But I really bought these for the low beams so so far not happy. Gonna get some more driving time with them before I write them off completely.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Glad it worked out. It really isn’t hard I was just being dumb. Once I realized what I was doing wrong it was fine.

Let us know how you like the Katana Minis. My first impressions aren’t the best. The beam has dark spots that make the low beam choppy and not great. The high beam is actually surprisingly smooth and consistent, but not as bright as I expected. But I really bought these for the low beams so so far not happy. Gonna get some more driving time with them before I write them off completely.
Are you sure you have them in the correct orientation? I don’t have any issues with the low beams. The design is basically the same as the larger ones as far as the diode positions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you sure you have them in the correct orientation? I don’t have any issues with the low beams. The design is basically the same as the larger ones as far as the diode positions.
Positive. The most forward facing led chip is up top, with the power cord coming out of the bottom, when plugged into the headlight housing.

I wonder why the Katana and most other LED brands (not all) have the high and low beam staggered as much as they are? The 2 halogen 9007 I’ve used so far have each filament basically right next to each other (maybe the slightest stagger). Aside from that I’d imagine the dark spots are because the chips only face left and right, where a filament is throwing it left right up down and everywhere in between.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts