Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Did a search on these and the last post was several years ago, so I figured I'd start a new thread about them.

I'm in the market for some new rubber to go with my lift and am wanting a mud terrain simply for the look of it. Been considering the Duratracs. I would get Trail Grapplers but man those suckers are expensive and my tire guy tells me they only get about 30k out of them. The cheapest I've found the Duratracs are at Sam's Club. Right now they are $197 a tire in stock 265/75/16.

I saw the Kanati Mud Hogs there too. I did some searching and several people on other boards, TitanTalk, F150 forums, Jeep, etc. all had high marks for them. Anyone here purchased them since those posts on here several years back? They are made by Greenball which has made UTV/ATV tires for years.

Speak away peeps. I drive 30 miles one way to work highway so I'm looking for looks as well as function. From what others have said, this tire fits the bill.

Thanks!

Mud Hog - Kanati Tires

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
With a 30 mile one way commute I would not even be considering a mud terrain... Your going to chew through those things so fast and hate life listening to them the whole time. Your MPG is also going to take a big hit, those are heavy tires.

You would be much better suited with a mild AT for your usage.They will be quieter, last longer, perform better on the road, etc, etc.

That being said if you must have an MT, about the only one that can hold its own with lots of highway travel is the Toyo Open County M/T. Of course you are going to pay quite a bit for them, last I checked they were close to $250ea. I know a few people who only buy them and regularly get 50k out of them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got 40k out of firestorm mts. Very similar conditions. Best mud tire I have had. Better than km2, coopers. I will only get 25 k out of the mastercraft mxt I am running now. Going backb to fire tones. And they pull better in mud than any of the others by far

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have to have an MT. It's a looks thing. I've got Firestone Destination ATs now. Have 43k on them. If I could find an AT that had the big sidewall designs like an MT does, I'd go for that for the exact reasons you said. With the 1.5/1" lift and 1.25" wheel spacers I'm doing, I want an aggressive tire. More so than the Destinations I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have Procomp Sport AT. They have a pretty aggressive side wall. They're quiet and good on the road. I am just like you. Went through two sets oh Dick Cepec Crushers at about 30k each on my last truck. It was the big joke that I could be heard coming two blocks away. Really happy with the Procomps so far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Procomp Sport AT. They have a pretty aggressive side wall. They're quiet and good on the road. I am just like you. Went through two sets oh Dick Cepec Crushers at about 30k each on my last truck. It was the big joke that I could be heard coming two blocks away. Really happy with the Procomps so far.

Wow. I like those. Found them on 4wheelparts for 654 shipped. And I'll get 3% back from Ebates too. Not bad for a 60k mile tire even if I only get 50k out of them. Made by Cooper too. Thanks! I'll add them to the possible list.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've narrowed it down to three choices. The Toyo Open Country A/T II or the Hankook Dynapro ATM, both in P metric which is fine for me. Or the Procomp A/T Sport. Even thought it is LT, it has a great warranty.

I've been doing Google image searches of lifts with all the above tires. None will look bad with mine. (2" front via 5100s and 1.5" block in rear) and I'm getting 1.5" wheel adaptors too to bring the stock wheels I'm keeping out.

Anyone have any thoughts or better yet more pics? Prefer to keep 265 as it will mean less trimming with the spacers.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
You will get excellent service from either of your 1st 2 choices.... I have no idea about the ProComps but they look like a highway tire to me.

I have experience with the Hankooks and they wear like iron, have great traction in everything but heavy mud, handle super well on pavement, do reasonably well in snow and are affordable. They are also lighter than the Toyo's which will be a factor with MPGs.

Good Luck with your new shoe's!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should check out the Nitto ridge grappler it's supposed to be a mud/AT hybrid. That's what I'm going with. Great sidewall design.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should check out the Nitto ridge grappler it's supposed to be a mud/AT hybrid. That's what I'm going with. Great sidewall design.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I actually love the Ridge Grappler. My tire guy suggested it. However as of right now, they don't make it in 16". And I'm not planning on getting rid of my stock wheels. If they did, that most likely is what I already would have purchased.

Reactions: 2whlfront

·
Registered
124 Posts
I saw a Jeep Wrangler the other day with those exact tires, Kanati Mud Hogs, at a local gas station. It appeared they were running them on their daily driver. That Jeep looked completely stock otherwise. They caught my attention and they looked good. I guess they could be fine for driving around town, but I bet they'd be noisy on the highway and really tank your fuel mileage.

I'd check out the Nitto Terra Grappler too. A friend of mine is running them on his Silverado and they look pretty sharp. He always insists on having an aggressive tire and ran BFG KO2s for years on his old truck so he must have had his reasons for choosing the Terra Grapplers over the KO2s when he bought his new truck last year. Personally, I'm looking to upgrade to either: Kumho AT51s, Hankook Dynapros, or Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws. Everyone has their likes/dislikes.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
1 - 12 of 12 Posts