Nissan Frontier Forum banner

K&N filters; a review.

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jordo 
#1 ·
i have had my k&n setup for about two years or so now and it has been great.
from time to time i see posts of people bashing k&n, i'm not sure why, but i figured i would offer a honest review. i haven't cleaned my filter since sometime before october of '08. it basicly looks like a brown powdered donut;

this is a picture of the inside of the filter, before i washed it. squeaky clean! i swiped my finger across the inside of the mesh and rim, and it was perfectly clean.
there is a small water trail that brought in some dirt on the cap of the filter, probably from me being careless when washing my truck. no biggie.

i washed it, inspected it, and put it back in. it looks as new as the day i bought it.
maybe this will disprove the idea that cotton gause oil filters don't work well.

edit; i fail at taking close up pictures.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've had one in almost all of the cars I've ever owned. I've been nothing but impressed.

#5 ·
old pic, but you get the idea. its a modified stillen system for the vg33. it neede to be modified because my engine is pushed back about 1". i don't think stillen makes it anymore.

#7 ·
i'm going to get a custom box made. there is a flange that bolts onto the stock intake tube that the filter clamps onto. its going to be pretty simple, but i'm too lazy to do it. i just got to find someone to fab it up.

#8 ·
I ran a K&N in both my Heep and my Tacoma in very dusty conditions in the AZ desert and I never had a problem. I plan on putting one in the Frontier when I have to change the stock one. The biggest thing to watch out for is not to over oil them and let the oil dry before you reinstall in the truck.

#12 ·
working as in keeping out water? no. working as in looking cool? yes.

I have read several tests on K&N and they do offer better flow, but they do it at the expense of filtration. There is an air filter test on Bob the Oil Guy that shows the better flow AND the additional particulate matter the filter lets through.

I ran them for years, then pulled the intake tube off of a 03 Honda Accord (after the filter) I found powder stuck to the sides of the tube. Don't say this is from my lack of maintainance, I cleaned and oiled more frequently than reccomended and followed instructions to a T.
nothing filters 100%. a paper filter is going to let in miniscule amounts of dust as well.

#11 ·
I have read several tests on K&N and they do offer better flow, but they do it at the expense of filtration. There is an air filter test on Bob the Oil Guy that shows the better flow AND the additional particulate matter the filter lets through.

I ran them for years, then pulled the intake tube off of a 03 Honda Accord (after the filter) I found powder stuck to the sides of the tube. Don't say this is from my lack of maintainance, I cleaned and oiled more frequently than reccomended and followed instructions to a T.

#13 · (Edited)
Well Ive been a motorcycle mechanic for 11 years. If you put a K&N on your off road bike or quad, IT WILL SUCK DIRT. And if given enough time, (5 hrs of dirt eating) 100% promise your vavle face (contact area with the seat) WILL CUP OUT!!! 100% Our dealer will not sell you one at the parts counter...for your own good.

Maybe they have a diffrent paper for auto's... not sure. But I will NEVER, EVER put one im my motocrosser. In the past 11 years I would guess that...25 motor rebuilds were directly related to K&N filters. No lie.

Maybe the vavle face on autos is stronger then in the motocycle and atv world. Just a thought.

#15 ·
hell yeah dude i love my k&n filter, i have had it on my truck for like 4 years maybe even longer and i love it, only really cleaned it once and it still looks pretty clean. i don't know why a lot of people dog them i think they are awesome filters, way better then the overpriced stock crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.