Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a K&N drop in air filter on my Frontier S. The old paper filter was rather dirty but on the clean spots you could definitely see light through. My Frontier now has a nice modest growl when accelerating mildly. I've had it for about 2 weeks - throttle response is much improved, fuel economy may be slightly worse. Automatic transmission seems to shift quicker, likely due to better throttle response.

So far I'm pleased. But if I worked at a rock quarry I'd put in an AC Delco. Since I don't work at a rock quarry, and drive on paved roads, 97% or so filtration instead of 99% is ok for me.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I towed our trailer out to its winter storage building. This was the first time I towed it since getting the K&N air filter. I was impressed - I could accelerate up a hill quite nicely. I can only assume that by improving throttle response that it also helps the 5 speed auto transmission shift more efficiently.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sadly this is mostly just your imagination working overtime. Simply putting in a KN air filter wont give you any better airflow than your paper oem filter will below 5000rpm. Above 5000rpm you could possibly be getting an additional 2-3 HP which in no way you can detect without a dyno.This does prove how effective todays marketing industry is.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sadly this is mostly just your imagination working overtime. Simply putting in a KN air filter wont give you any better airflow than your paper oem filter will below 5000rpm. Above 5000rpm you could possibly be getting an additional 2-3 HP which in no way you can detect without a dyno.This does prove how effective todays marketing industry is.
If you walk through AutoZone/Summit/etc and bought every product that claimed performance guarantees, you'd have 2000 horsepower by the time you got home.
Better to spend the $$ on practical things that look good, sound good, feel good, function good rather than unmeasurable "performance" products. And you can easily go broke buying all of that practical stuff.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My little motor spends 90% of it's life below 3000rpm, almost all of the hi-po hardware doesn't even start functioning well at that low of an rpm.But people have to rationalize spending the money so they buy the outrageous manftr claims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a K&N drop in air filter on my Frontier S. The old paper filter was rather dirty but on the clean spots you could definitely see light through. My Frontier now has a nice modest growl when accelerating mildly. I've had it for about 2 weeks - throttle response is much improved, fuel economy may be slightly worse. Automatic transmission seems to shift quicker, likely due to better throttle response.

So far I'm pleased. But if I worked at a rock quarry I'd put in an AC Delco. Since I don't work at a rock quarry, and drive on paved roads, 97% or so filtration instead of 99% is ok for me.
I put the same in mine I was very happy too huge air filter

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The major point of K&N is that you clean them, not dispose of them. I've been using them for well nigh 30 yrs now and put a new one in every vehicle I acquire. Ordered one for my wife's new-to-us 2012 RAV4 just yesterday. Had a $15.00 off $50.00 coupon for AutoZone so this K&N cost just double what the premium paper filters are, and will last the life of the vehicle, guaranteed.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The
The major point of K&N is that you clean them, not dispose of them. I've been using them for well nigh 30 yrs now and put a new one in every vehicle I acquire. Ordered one for my wife's new-to-us 2012 RAV4 just yesterday. Had a $15.00 off $50.00 coupon for AutoZone so this K&N cost just double what the premium paper filters are, and will last the life of the vehicle, guaranteed.
The problem with K&N and similar cloth filters is that they let more dirt through them than conventional paper filters, which is the main purpose of having an air filter in the first place. It's all about compromise!

Reactions: shift_RUSH
1 - 9 of 9 Posts