Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some time to install this bad boy. Took 2 hours, but could have been cut down alot by some prefab of supplied parts.

If you like the Nissan emblem on the front of the engine, this is not the kit for you. Also it is not smog legal in California, don't know about the other states.

The entire air box was removed and a new partial box replaced it. The entire air tube from filter to throttle body housing is also repleced. Larger bore platic tube.

Two tips, first, install the rubber sealer around the new filter box before starting your install. Cut the sealer to conform to the turns and bends. You will not be able to make it fit without some type of special tools. Second, do not tighten the "L" brackets on the new air box. Leave them loose so you can move them around to match the holes.

Other than those problems, the install is a piece of cake.

Also, this thing is fast. First test drive was amazing how responsive the truck is now. Of course it is quite a bit louder also. Sounds like a new Mustang Fastback.

MPG didn't change a bit even with more foot in it. :D :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna be in Vegas for Valentine's Day to see the Blue Man Group.

How far is Coolidge away from Vegas??

Maybe it will rain?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got some pictures of my K&N CAI. If you look real hard, you will also see the new Helix TBS.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
What is a helix tbs? Do you need that for the K&N air intake to work?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
chargedup05 said:
What is a helix tbs? Do you need that for the K&N air intake to work?
a tbs is an aluminum spacer that moves your throttle body back an inch - 2 inches.
the way it was explained to me it provides a bit more air when you open the throttle up.

i think a plenum spacer would be a more efficiant mod than this tho.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Throttle body spacers actually do nothing at all except for on vehicles that have either throttle body injection or carbureted. It's a "snake oil" type of mod.

·
Registered
398 Posts
SnarfFrontier_06 said:
Throttle body spacers actually do nothing at all except for on vehicles that have either throttle body injection ....
oK, I need help with this one. :? 8O

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the '05-'06 Frontiers had throttle body injection?

·
Registered
112 Posts
a tbs just moves the throttle body out one inch which inturn makes the air spiral to help it mix easier and better with the fuel and the end result is more hp and tourqe plus better gas milage

·
Registered
189 Posts
outlnder said:
I thought the '05-'06 Frontiers had throttle body injection?
I don't think there have been any cars since the early 90's that have come with throttle body injection. The only car I can think of off the top of my head that had TBI is my buddies Conquest/Starion. Basically all modern day cars have multi-port fuel injection.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
not to hijack your thread Outlnder, but does anyone know if the plenum spacers for the VQ35 will work on the VQ40.....I highly doubt it, but I figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
225 Posts
By 6pm Pacific Coast Time today, I will have my Frontier installed with this K&N Filter and the Stainless Steel Gibson Cat-back Exhaust. I can't wait for this workday to be over so I can stomp on it.

By the way, I took a look at the K&N CAI last night at the shop, and that sucker is huge, the tube seemed as large as a cantaloupe! I think I'll be real happy with this CAI.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You will be.

One warning though, tie a cord to you right foot so you can pull it off the accelerator, otherwise it will be glued to the floorboard all the time. I'm sure that the other CAI's are impressive in both sound and response, but the K&N will blow them all away.

You'll see.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Finally got my truck, I love the increased performance and sound of both the K&N CAI and the Gibson Exhaust!

One problem, my mechanics installed the K&N CAI so that it rattles when I punch it.

:?: Outlander, and anyone else who might know:

1. What could be the cause of this rattle?

2. This K&N is designed for the Frontier, so this isn't normal, right?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts