Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I can no longer get my BFG Long Trails anymore (stock on 2007 CC SE 4x4) so I need something comparable. My mechanic can't get me the Hancooks the new Frontiers come with so I'm wondering if anyone can make a suggestion for a non A/T tire that are comparable to the Long Trails.

Things I liked about my Long Trails:

Good for 70000kms
Good in snow
Good for the small amount of off-roading I did (even crossed a river 16 inches deep no issues)
Not overly noisy
"Normal" looking ie it doesn't look like an AT tire.
Inexpensive

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm riding on the new hankook's my Fronty came with and in ~1.5" of slush lake effect snow today the TCS was activating under only slight throttle input...

Heading from upstate NY (Oswego lake Ontario area) out to Minot ND, I'm looking for dedicated "snow shoes" for my new ride...there really wasn't near enough snow to activate the 4WD (and I've been driving on ice roads for the better part of the last 20 months at the TOW)!

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
The revos are rated as one of the best AT all season tires for snow. I think they are currently on Revo 2.

You don't run a dedicated winter tire? A good compromise are Mastercraft Courser MSR. I am running a set right now. They are old school high sipe soft rubber type winter tires that are studdable, and not the micro cell sponge type winter tire like blizzaks. I did not stud mine. Ran them in a couple of inches of fresh snow last night and they were grippy. Have not had to test them on glazed ice yet. They work well off road, and are quite on. Don't know about the 70K kms though.

You don't get into situations like this?
https://www.facebook.com/ABCNews/videos/10155092491528812/

And to add: your list of conditions are unrealistic. You can't hit all those points. It is the lone of those Triangle memes: "pick two".

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I'm in Canada, first thing I do is buy a set of BFG AT's. in my opinion they're the best for all Canadian seasons. You're not going to get 70,000km though

·
Registered
397 Posts
The revos are rated as one of the best AT all season tires for snow. I think they are currently on Revo 2.

You don't run a dedicated winter tire? A good compromise are Mastercraft Courser MSR. I am running a set right now. They are old school high sipe soft rubber type winter tires that are studdable, and not the micro cell sponge type winter tire like blizzaks. I did not stud mine. Ran them in a couple of inches of fresh snow last night and they were grippy. Have not had to test them on glazed ice yet. They work well off road, and are quite on. Don't know about the 70K kms though.

You don't get into situations like this?
https://www.facebook.com/ABCNews/videos/10155092491528812/

And to add: your list of conditions are unrealistic. You can't hit all those points. It is the lone of those Triangle memes: "pick two".
4life, you say the Courser MSR's are quiet on the highway?

My Mother in law's local mechanic shop just recommended 3 sets of snow shoes to me for the frontier:

1. Mastercraft Courser MSR (same as above) - s speed rated $108 ea
2. Firestone winter force UV - s speed rated $116 ea
3. General Grabber Arctic's - t speed rated $108 ea

None of them have tread warranties because they are a M+S tire.

Mounting and balancing is $20 per wheel.

I like the look of the Mastercraft because they look like they have the most aggressive tread pattern for the snow and ice so if you feel they are quiet on road that looks like they will end up being my choice (they are also made by cooper tire which is a reputable brand).

PS. wonder who they decided was at fault on slip and slide video :)

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
The msr are pretty quite on the road.
The Firestone are garbage.
The Graber artics are pretty good. More suited to packed snow ice. But alot less thread depth.

For 108 it will be the p metric version. There are 2 LT versions too. In c and e. More $, lbs,& 32s".

·
Registered
397 Posts
For 108 it will be the p metric version. There are 2 LT versions too. In c and e. More $, lbs,& 32s".
Sorry, not sure what you mean by your last line?

The cut sheet the mechanic gave me states they are a LT/SUV severe weather rated winter studdable option tire.

I don't see anything stating P metric on the cut sheet either.

Hopefully these are the good version?

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Sorry, not sure what you mean by your last line?

The cut sheet the mechanic gave me states they are a LT/SUV severe weather rated winter studdable option tire.

I don't see anything stating P metric on the cut sheet either.

Hopefully these are the good version?
There are 3 versions of this tire. Look at the specs quite different. And not to mention sidewall plys (not mentioned in specs)
https://m.summitracing.com/search?keyword=Msr 265/75/r16

The tire shop quoted you for the "passenger" version not the LT (light truck). Infered from the price aND speed rating. Some will only run LTs on their trucks. Google the differnces.

The last line. LTs cost more money to buy. Are heavier (<mpg,acceletation). But have deeper tread (measured in 32s of an inch).

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
To add I am running the p metrics. Limit'd time on these, but no issues so far. Price per 32s got me, and my shop had these in stock which makes them cheaper than a special order.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^Thanks for the additional info, guess I have to ask them some questions before ordering!?!

Is the "load index rating" of 112 the passenger model?

The cut sheet says "class: light truck/SUV"

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
You must be running 265/70 not 75s. There is only one mSr in that size. The 112 load rating and not 116 of the 75 was the tell.

The fact that it had a numerical load rating is a p metric spec. LTs use c,d,e "load" ratigs, though they are really construction ratings.

Get them. Good tires you'll be happy. They are the local go to tire around here.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^---stock for '17 is 265/70 16 tires, just got her On the 2nd of Dec :)

Lots of hills in this area of upstate NY so yesterday in about 1.5" of fresh lake effect slush the TCS was activating in RWD but it wasn't enough to hit the 4WD by any means...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently switched to the Yokohama Geolandar g015's. I went with this as i don't live in a hard winter climate anymore, but often head into the sierras and rockies in the winter for various snowsports and wanted a tire rated for severe snow. This tire seems to fit the bill. I've been through a few solid storms in the sierras on this tire now and the winter performance has been solid, and the dry and at performance is also sufficient for what i do. Time will tell if i get the mileage it is rated for (50,000 miles), however based on the performance i am getting i wouldnt complain if i only got 30,000 miles.

This tire is far better in the snow and ice than the long trails. Not even comparable.

·
Registered
397 Posts
....I went with these and have been happy in the few inches of both powder and icy slush for the 3 storms driven so far in my Frontier, I didn't even feel the need to put it into 4wd because the traction control wasn't activating on me like it was with the Hankook all seasons (even though they showed they were M+S rated)...

I also put the same tire on my '06 Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.5L and it made an even better difference than the Kelly M+S all seasons they replaced (the Kelly's had a really aggressive tread pattern but felt like ice skates while driving until the rear 4wd locked in).

I liked the fact that I can stud the tire if necessary also!

·
Registered
544 Posts
It looks like I can no longer get my BFG Long Trails anymore (stock on 2007 CC SE 4x4) so I need something comparable. My mechanic can't get me the Hancooks the new Frontiers come with so I'm wondering if anyone can make a suggestion for a non A/T tire that are comparable to the Long Trails.

Things I liked about my Long Trails:

Good for 70000kms
Good in snow
Good for the small amount of off-roading I did (even crossed a river 16 inches deep no issues)
Not overly noisy
"Normal" looking ie it doesn't look like an AT tire.
Inexpensive
Is there a reason you want to go with a non A/T tire? there are some pretty good options that come close to matching what you liked about the Long Trails.

As far as inexpensive I'd look at the Kijiji craigslist interweb google machine, I ended up picking up a second set of rims with one year old BFG A/T's for 400 bucks. There what I'm using this winter so far and there fine, definitely no where near as good as my winter tires though.

If your determined to stay away from A/T's, you might want to check out the Nokian Tyres WRG3 SUV. I haven't personally used that tire, but all the nokian's I have used have all been stellar.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
....I went with these and have been happy in the few inches of both powder and icy slush for the 3 storms driven so far in my Frontier, I didn't even feel the need to put it into 4wd because the traction control wasn't activating on me like it was with the Hankook all seasons (even though they showed they were M+S rated)...

I also put the same tire on my '06 Santa Fe Limited AWD 3.5L and it made an even better difference than the Kelly M+S all seasons they replaced (the Kelly's had a really aggressive tread pattern but felt like ice skates while driving until the rear 4wd locked in).

I liked the fact that I can stud the tire if necessary also!
I have been really happy with mine. I have yet to drive on glazed ice.
One thing to note is that tire shops will only stud up a new tire. Once you start driving around on them, them will not stud them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts