Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Just picked up the truck!

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  MEDEL514 
#1 ·
I put one on order in the begining of April. I got a call from a buddy at the dealer saying that the truck we want was coming in last week, but this one was fully loaded! I went down there to check it out and it was gorgeous! It had every option avalible on an LE but the tow hitch, (I'll put that on later). I took it for a drive and we both fell in love with it, so after a little talk, we decided to go for it instead of waiting another month for the one we ordered.

I have the Airaid Intake and TBS in my closet, but I'll put those on after I'm done with the break in, along with a full synthetic swap (engine, tranny, diff's). The wheels and tires are on backorder (Zinik Z12 20's wrapped in 33" Grapplers), but should be here in 3-4 weeks. I just bought the PRG lift today, so by the end of the month, this truck will start looking even better!

2006 Frontier LE CC 4x4 Rockford Leather Traction

See less See more
#2 ·
4WD? Nice looking truck.

You've been posting here for a while, I thought you had a Frontier already.

#3 ·
Congrats. Nice looking truck and the cargo looks good too :lol:. Was black what you had on order or did you compromise on the color? Judging by the roof on your house it looks like you live in a sunny state, good thing our AC kicks out cold, cold air.

Best of luck with the upgrades. :D

#6 ·
Yeah its 4x4. We've known for a while that we wanted this truck , just been lurking on these boards doing my research before I bought.
Taco was the second pick, but she hated the interior on the Taco and I liked the power on the Frontier.

We put a black one on order, She didn't like white cause it reminded her of a company truck.
Red was totally out, my VW and Audi are red, and my parent both have red cars.
So black was the best of the dark colors that we liked, the dark blue was our second pick.

You guessed right, we live in Phoenix. People think we're crazy for getting a black truck with leather here.
But the day I went to look at the truck, it was around 100 degrees out and my back was sweating while on the highway in my car.
I think once it passes 100, hot is hot no matter what car you're in. I just have to tint the front windows to keep the sun off the seats.

#10 ·
With any dark color, you're gonna see swirl marks. It just all depends on how hard you want to work to not put them there. Sure its gonna take a little extra work, but I've always like to detail my cars, and it helps me work on my tan too.

I'll definatly be updating the process with pics!

#16 ·
Started doing my first mod today. I have been thinking about it since I picked up the truck. As I've stated in other posts, I was really spoiled by my Audi, and one of the things that dissapointed me about the truck was that the tailgate doesn't lock with the central locking system. The trunk and the fuel door lock/unlock with the CLS in my Audi, so I decided to try to do something similar for the truck.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/MEDEL514/Frontier022.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/MEDEL514/Frontier024.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/MEDEL514/Frontier025.jpg

I've had this universal lock actuator for a while, I was supposed to use it on another project but never did. Its a simple 12 volt actuator that goes in and out. Really easy to do, I didn't get a finished pic of it mounted though (its supported a little better).

All I did today was work on the tailgate area and do all of the ops checks, it works great! and you can still lock/unlock it with the key. The next step is wiring it to the truck. Theres a few ways I can go about doing this so I was hoping for some input from you guys.

1. Wire it directly to the central locking system of the truck and have the tailgate lockunlock anytime the power locks are used.
2. Put a switch in the cab to allow me to do it from inside with the push of a button using a double throw switch. I was thinking of using the blank button where the NISMO models have the Diff-Lock switch, since there's nothing there on my LE.
3. Wiring it as described in 1 and 2 in series so that I will be able to choose when I want the tailgate to lock/unlock with the central locking system. The only bad thing about 3. is that I will be using alot of wire going everywhere, and also relays because I wouldn't want to power it directly from the CLS. But it sure would be cool.

#17 ·
MEDEL514 said:
You guessed right, we live in Phoenix. People think we're crazy for getting a black truck with leather here.
You know when I moved to Arizona I bought into the whole "leather sucks" idea until I installed leather in my G20 and actually found it cooler than cloth. Leather heats up faster but it also cools down faster. It also breathes better. Anyway just my support that youre not crazy for getting leather!

As for what you should do about the locks.. I think wiring it in with the CLS with a switch disable is the way to go (option 3). Definitely use relays as you suggested.

- Greg -

#18 ·
MEDEL514 said:
All I did today was work on the tailgate area and do all of the ops checks, it works great! and you can still lock/unlock it with the key. The next step is wiring it to the truck. Theres a few ways I can go about doing this so I was hoping for some input from you guys.

1. Wire it directly to the central locking system of the truck and have the tailgate lockunlock anytime the power locks are used.
2. Put a switch in the cab to allow me to do it from inside with the push of a button using a double throw switch. I was thinking of using the blank button where the NISMO models have the Diff-Lock switch, since there's nothing there on my LE.
3. Wiring it as described in 1 and 2 in series so that I will be able to choose when I want the tailgate to lock/unlock with the central locking system. The only bad thing about 3. is that I will be using alot of wire going everywhere, and also relays because I wouldn't want to power it directly from the CLS. But it sure would be cool.
Being a techie . . . I like option 3 best. I think with your skill set you can make a nice neat install on the project. And like most others on this post, I really really like your truck!

#20 ·
Hey thanks for the link! There was another link in your thread that showed a great DIY from someone on nissanforums. Reading through that just saved me a ton of time in not having to do my own R&D on the trucks wiring! I'll update this post when I get the tailgate lock wired into the truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.