Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a brand-new KC SE V6 6-speed today, replacing my well-loved 350Z. I'm realizing that I'm used to shifting by sound, and I can barely hear it (and like most of you, I can't leave a vehicle stock) so an exhaust and intake are in the cards as soon as the break in miles are done.

Does anyone make a cat-back kit for the 2010 KC, or am I better off getting a local shop to make me up something with a 2-in 2-out muffler?

As for the intake, K&N has always been my choice in the past, but it looks like Volant is the favorite around here. They don't seem to list anything for 2009 or 2010 models, however.

Just looking for input on the right pieces for a truck with 30 miles on the clock :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
welcome to the club and congrats on the purchase. my frontier pretty much ended up replacing my greddy tt 350z as well. there are some cat backs but personally i would say save some money and to go a muffler shop and have them build you something 2.25 in for duals or 2.5-3 in if you go with a single. the volant is def the fav around here and i believe someone posted up a part number for the 09 and up one, i'll see if i can find it and post it up for ya or someone with it will chime in

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Picked up a brand-new KC SE V6 6-speed today, replacing my well-loved 350Z. I'm realizing that I'm used to shifting by sound, and I can barely hear it (and like most of you, I can't leave a vehicle stock) so an exhaust and intake are in the cards as soon as the break in miles are done.

Does anyone make a cat-back kit for the 2010 KC, or am I better off getting a local shop to make me up something with a 2-in 2-out muffler?

As for the intake, K&N has always been my choice in the past, but it looks like Volant is the favorite around here. They don't seem to list anything for 2009 or 2010 models, however.

Just looking for input on the right pieces for a truck with 30 miles on the clock :)

Thanks!
As you have searched for the intake, the exhaust is pretty simple too.

Apparently Magnaflow has a cat back system that uses a dual in dual out muffler so it is an option but I am not sure on cost.

You can also go local. Keep it at 2.25 w/o a y-pipe and use a dual in dual out muffler. You can also do a dual in single out but make sure you size it up to 3" for the exit on the single so you don't cause a pressure issue.

Volant is the "favorite" around here. It is the only closed box intake that also replaces the OEM tube. Only issue is that the install is a pain. You have to relocate your horn which isn't too horrible since they supply a bracket now. Past that, the new powerflow filter or whatever it is seems to flow too much and throws a CEL. If you are tuned, you can work with this but if you are not, it may cause issues.

One other thing to remember is that the 2nd gens have been around since 05 and nothing mechanically has changed for the most part so most parts that fit the 05s will also fit the 10s.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I chose the Injen w/Amsoil dryflow filter. Then I got a custom Y/Magnaflow system. The Y is the problem really. I shaved 2 tenths of a second off of my 0-60 time by changing it.

Then get a tune! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some reading and a few hundred miles (loooooving the truck so far), I'm thinking Banks exhaust (assuming it'll fit the 2010) first, then a Superchips tuner, followed by a Volant intake. Probably a few months between each as budget allows. How much crap is my dealer going to give me if I need warranty work? :)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Beware of the BANKS system. I am not sure if it has been re-done but the system we are all used to uses a 3" pipe which is just too big. It will limit your tq down low but will give you HP up high.

The superchips should get you by for now until you get into some real mods (LTs, HF CATs, Volant w/ powercore filter, etc...) then you will need UpRev. The handhelds only let you go so far before they become obseolite (sp?).

·
Registered
579 Posts
People always rag on the Banks for losing power. I have one and I can say that it is not a noticeable loss at all and even if there was a slight loss your intake evens it out. The 2 best parts about the Banks system are; large gain in top end, and the best sound off all the cat-back systems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beware of the BANKS system. I am not sure if it has been re-done but the system we are all used to uses a 3" pipe which is just too big. It will limit your tq down low but will give you HP up high.

The superchips should get you by for now until you get into some real mods (LTs, HF CATs, Volant w/ powercore filter, etc...) then you will need UpRev. The handhelds only let you go so far before they become obseolite (sp?).
Hmm, seems like the general consensus on the Volant powercore is "don't do it."

Do you have a Banks exhaust? The loss of low end with the Banks seems to come up a lot, but reviews from people who actually have them installed seem to all be like kavonalair - overall positive.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the banks is 3in all the way which is a performance no no. 3 in per engine bank before the they y into one is too big. not enough velocity and too much room for the exhaust to expand, cool, and become dense and bad for low to mid range flow. in high rpm the volume of exhaust is enough to keep a decent volume which is why people say they feel top end power. but if you want a system that will give you the best all around power not just top end then your going to want something 2.25 or 2.5 at the largest before you merge them into one pipe so that the area of the pipes come close to equaling out for the best continuous flow. that will give you the best low and mid range velocity with the most noticeable and usable gains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm, thanks for the thoughts.

Can you recommend a cat-back system, or should I go back to my original idea and find a local exhaust shop to make me something custom?

Also just realized that I'll need a CARB-legal intake, which limits my choices.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i'd say run to a shop and have something made, just do some research on shops around you and get some quotes. it will be your best bang for your buck by far. i originally just had new exhaust put on at the y collector all the way back to hold me over till i figured out what i wanted to do before the collector but once i'm done with it, the price tag still comes to about half that of the pre made cat backs and i'm very happy with the sound. i wasn't a fan of the sound of most of the pre made cat backs.

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
I have the Banks as well, and I also love it. However, I did notice the drop in the low end and increase in top end a bit.

As for the CARB legal, not sure where you live, but in CA you dont have to smog a brand new car for the first 5 years. Volant is not CARB legal, but you can always keep your old intake and put it back on every 2 years.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Injen is not CARB legal either ("yet" they tell me). The only one I believe is CARB legal is the K&N. I kept my stock system to pop on if I need too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Banks as well, and I also love it. However, I did notice the drop in the low end and increase in top end a bit.

As for the CARB legal, not sure where you live, but in CA you dont have to smog a brand new car for the first 5 years. Volant is not CARB legal, but you can always keep your old intake and put it back on every 2 years.
Every 2 years here - I may do just that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Snagged a Superchips Flashpaq for $225 shipped, new in box, so looks like that'll be the first mod, not the exhaust :) Probably get the most bang for the buck this way anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts