Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used Bullydog GT from a forum member and got it all set up but I noticed a few strange things, maybe just bugs or maybe not.

1. When I use the throttle gauge, the most I ever see it go up to is 82%. Is 82% fully open? I would expect to see 100%. I do have the WOT enabled and even if I didn't this happens even at highway speeds.

2. The transmission temperature gauge seems to loose the feed after a while, especially when the tranny is cold. Often times after driving for 20 minutes the tranny gauge still says 62 degrees or something ridiculous like that but if I restart the Bullydog it goes back to normal and will read around 130.

3. At night whenever I turned on my high beams the Bullydog display would get brighter, as in going to the daytime setting. It didn't seem to matter if my headlight switch was on the ON position or the AUTO position. I do have the foglight always on with headlights mod. Could that have anything to do with it? I will add that I didn't have a separate power wire for the Bullydog but I just wired that up today. It doesn't seem like that should have anything to do with it.

Has anyone else noticed any of these quirks?

Ben

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The throttle is normal, anywhere between 82-84% is wide open. the other things I have no idea on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I updated it yesterday and it did need it. I haven't driven at night since the update so it's possible the update helped with the bright screen thing.
what is the most current update? just wanted to make sure i had the same.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I picked up a used Bullydog GT from a forum member and got it all set up but I noticed a few strange things, maybe just bugs or maybe not.

1. When I use the throttle gauge, the most I ever see it go up to is 82%. Is 82% fully open? I would expect to see 100%. I do have the WOT enabled and even if I didn't this happens even at highway speeds.

2. The transmission temperature gauge seems to loose the feed after a while, especially when the tranny is cold. Often times after driving for 20 minutes the tranny gauge still says 62 degrees or something ridiculous like that but if I restart the Bullydog it goes back to normal and will read around 130.

3. At night whenever I turned on my high beams the Bullydog display would get brighter, as in going to the daytime setting. It didn't seem to matter if my headlight switch was on the ON position or the AUTO position. I do have the foglight always on with headlights mod. Could that have anything to do with it? I will add that I didn't have a separate power wire for the Bullydog but I just wired that up today. It doesn't seem like that should have anything to do with it.

Has anyone else noticed any of these quirks?

Ben

answer to #3

the day/nite can be changed to about 6 different colors under the setting tab, I have mine set up to a color i like and use it for both daytime and nightime.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My BD is brand new and the display also brightens with my high beams. The most I have ever gotten out of my throttle is 89% . My trans temp is consistant at every temp

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I don't have the BD tuner but our trucks don't have any way to measure the trans temps from the factory so it must just be plugging in a random number from somewhere else. At least that's what I've always been told and it seems to be true so far.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The only quirk with mine I've noticed is the screen brightens when I use my high beams....it gets on my nerves to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I don't have the BD tuner but our trucks don't have any way to measure the trans temps from the factory so it must just be plugging in a random number from somewhere else. At least that's what I've always been told and it seems to be true so far.
I was going to ask how this was possible as well.
To my knowledge there is no OEM sensor monitoring trans temps, therefore the BD or any other gauge has nothing to tap into/read for this data.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to ask how this was possible as well.
To my knowledge there is no OEM sensor monitoring trans temps, therefore the BD or any other gauge has nothing to tap into/read for this data.
I never considered this. I just assumed it says it's the transmission temp so it must be. It seems to track as I would expect the transmission temp to track (takes a good 20-25 minute drive to come up to temp, increases after going up long hills) but I guess any engine part that gets hot would behave similarly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the screen gets brighter when you turn on the high beams because when you switch to high beams the lows turn off, and it bases its day and night setting on weather the low beams are on or off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to the factory service manual the proper way to check the trans fluid level is to get the trans fluid within a specific temp range that is read on the Nissan diagnostic tool (Called Consult II, IIRC). That is just a computer that plugs into the truck, not a sensor that is put into the Trans. If that is the case, then the transmission must have a temperature sensor in it that feeds data through the diagnostic port. The BD must be reading that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mine does that whole high beam low beam thing...but I also have HID's and my low beams are now brighter than my high beams so they never some one anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts