Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Just installed JBA shorties on my 08' Frontier

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bigdog 
#1 · (Edited)
Just installed JBA shorties on my 08' Frontier with a few questions.

Well, the install is done and everything seems good. It took about 8 hours with the help of a buddy, a 14mm swivel head wrench, and a 14mm deep socket. I do have a couple of questions for the pros out there. I bought the headers from a guy that had them installed on a show truck so they were practically brand new. Should there be a funny smell coming from the truck after I run it? I just figured it was from the headers since they were still new. Should I expect the check engine light to come on? Besides the obvious sound of an exhaust leak, how else would I know if the headers were leaking?

#2 ·
You used anti seize on the bolts and new gaskets right. Thats always a must when installing headers. Also, my headers smelled and smoked a little after I put them on and they were off devilrunner's truck. Im pretty sure the smell is just from them being ran the first time after sitting for a while. Theres probably dust, oils and stuff from your hands and stuff on them burning off.

#4 ·
When I worked on cars professionally our companies headers and exhaust were manufactured by Borla who used recycled frying oil to lube their dies and tubes before bending. It was always funny to see uppity Corvette owners ask why their cars smelled like french fries after their new exhaust was installed.

#5 ·
Well, the install is done and everything seems good. It took about 8 hours with the help of a buddy, a 14mm swivel head wrench, and a 14mm deep socket. I do have a couple of questions for the pros out there. I bought the headers from a guy that had them installed on a show truck so they were practically brand new. Should there be a funny smell coming from the truck after I run it? I just figured it was from the headers since they were still new. Should I expect the check engine light to come on? Besides the obvious sound of an exhaust leak, how else would I know if the headers were leaking?
Did you get the ones from the guy in CA on ebay? I bid on those too. The smell is probably from them being new and will burn off eventually.

#6 ·
I would not worry about the smell, but there should not be any codes

#7 ·
hey im thinking about getting a set of JBA headers did you notice a big difference in the performance, and more importantly did you notice a loss or gain in low end tq/hp, and any change in sound

#8 ·
I did not notice a performance differance, but since the boost would be in the mid range it might be hard to measure wiht the butt dyno. As for sound, its not really louder but definitiely more throaty.

#10 ·
#12 ·
no they are still in place, just the headers and then from cats back

#14 ·
no, the catback made a big differance but the headers not so much and what a pita to install. IMO the three best things you can do for performance are catback, cai, and tuner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.